“A little frustrated.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Willoughby
Kentucky
“A little frustrated.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stay at tons of red roof inns because of our small pet, but I was really aggravated when I checked in....the girl at the desk didn't get off her personal cell phone call the entire time of our check in. Rude & totally unprofessional. The property is run down on the outside & needs an update. Paint & stucco chipping and trash in stairwells. I made my reservation by phone where they said it was updated, but only certain rooms. We got a superior king and it's the old style. Bed was horrible. As for a premium king if you stay! Still pissed about the front desk experience!

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Ken M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Hi Tricia,
My apologies for the behavior of our desk clerk during your check in. I agree with you, it is totally unprofessional and rude to be on a cell phone during work. We are in the process of doing some painting (and scraping) and we are having some stucco work done. The stucco workers scraped all the bad stucco off and they are coming back to finish it shortly. I'm sorry your visit was in the middle of that process. I hope you will give us another chance to impress you, as you can read from most of the Trip Advisor reviews, we are usually 'on top of our game', but obviously not with you, not this time. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Our stay at the hotel was comfortable and made even more attractive by the fact Priceline had a great offer to incentivize our decision. Frankly, even without a price deal the location and accessibility to major hwy, restaurants was worth it on its own. It was a safe, quiet and quaint motel with clean rooms. Our room had no wifi reach but that was not an issue since we took it as a sign to try and actually catch up on sleep after such a long drive!

My only feedback for the team/management of this little in is the following: I was surprised by the lack of enthusiasm and lack of genuine hospitality in your front desk staff. The attendant seem disengaged and uninterested in our business. I completely understand that this could have been a one off bad day, and that we are all human. But we did find it a bit disheartening as we actually opened the dialogue by being eager to celebrate the fact we found you through word of mouth and the great reviews people have shared on TA. We even congratulated them on being the number one rated motel in the area...and it was just met with a shrug.
Again, I want to reiterate I would still come back and stay here again but I just wanted to point out an observation I think could help your ratings go from good to great!

Stayed August 2014
Hi Diecisies,
We appreciate the kind review for location, cleanliness and feeling safe. My apologies for the wifi signal and especially for the lack of enthusiasm from our staff. I agree with you that someone must have been having a rough day or felt humbled by your compliments and didn't know how to handle the positive feedback.
We are very proud and delighted to have earned our number one status in Trip Advisor! We have won the "Certificate of Excellence" the last few years. In the end, I am glad you will come back to stay with us in future travels and we will aim to be great, thank you!
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed here over the weekend as our launching pad for a baseball game and a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum.

Very conveniently located, super clean and with a variety of food choices around it (especially in Mentor, OH which is just on the other side of the Hwy 90.

Wifi was sluggish at times, but it's usually par for the course of the motels in general.

They don't have free breakfast. Just free coffee or tea.

We got an amazing deal via Priceline that made it even less expensive than a Motel 6.

Stayed August 2014
Ken M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hi TK,
I was delighted to read your review of our hotel and the area. The Rock Hall is amazing and the Indians took 2 of 3 from the Orioles. Apologies for the wifi, but thank you for the compliments about your room being super clean, our housekeepers enjoyed reading your comment. We are conveniently located off I-90, just a quick drive from downtown Cleveland where there is always something to do. The next time you visit us, try one of our newly renovated Premium rooms. All new furniture, flooring, design and a snack box in the minifridge. Thanks again for the kind review!
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

After a long day of driving it was a pleasure to stay at this Red Roof Inn. The room was very comfortable and very clean. The staff are very friendly and efficient. Great value for the nice room.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Ken M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hello JWRay,
Thank you very much for the wonderful review. Our team appreciates the recognition for their hard work in cleanliness, efficiency and especially for their friendliness. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us in a clean and comfortable room. I'm glad you felt you received a great value with your room and thanks for the recommendation. We look forward to seeing you in future travels!
Central Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed at the Red Roof because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Thank you to the previous reviewers. The experience was beyond my expectation. This being my first stay at a Red Roof I did not know what to expect. I stayed in a premium room. The room was extremely comfortable and well kept. Everything was in working order and the room had a contemporary feel to it. The housekeeping staff were particularly outstanding. Based on this experience I will not be hesitant to select a Red Roof in the future. I had two negatives to report. The room had no pen and paper pad which I could have used (a minor negative). A major negative was a daily $1.50 mandatory charge for an in-room safe that I absolutely had no use for. I was unaware of the charge until checkout. This was a small irritation that left somewhat of a sour feeling toward what otherwise was a very positive experience.

Room Tip: Reserve a premium room. The extra cost may be well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Ken M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
We are glad we WOW'd you during your stay with us in the new Premium room! The new upgrades and furniture, new design with vessel sink and hardwood flooring. And not to mention the welcome snack box in the mini-fridge. Our entire team is very pleased with your comments, especially the housekeeper that cleaned your room. It is great to know that you will be staying at Red Roof Inns in future travels too.

Red Roof hasn't carried pen and paper in rooms for many years, but perhaps something for us to consider in the future. The safe is a convenience that many guest use, those that don't, we always remove the safe charges. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again. I'm happy we impressed you during your stay!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This was a great value. We paid a low rate booking the day before we stayed there. The room was clean, reasonably up-to-date, and well laid out, The bed was very comfortable, and we found ourselves oversleeping a bit. The person who checked me in was courteous and efficient. A few drawbacks--our door did not seal very well so some noise from outside found its way in. Also wifi was unusable at night, but the next morning worked well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ken M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hello Ben,
I was very happy to read that you overslept due to the comfortable bed and our housekeepers appreciate your comment about the clean room. I do apologize about the door seal and letting in a little noise. As a team, we like reading that you felt you received a great value in your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you in future travels. Thank you!
Istanbul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful. My room was clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable, and they accepted pets which was a major factor in choosing this hotel. The water pressure and temperature were also good. The complementary coffee was nice. The one thing that could have improved the entire experience was having some form of continental breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Ken M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hi Alicia,
Thank you for acknowledging our friendly and helpful front desk staff. Our housekeepers also thank you for recognizing their efforts. We are glad your brought your pet to enjoy the experience of hotel lodging. Most Red Roof Inns do not offer breakfast, we do offer a 'welcome snack' when you stay in a Premium room. The welcome snack has water, orange juice, 2 granola bars, trail mix and pop corn. Thank you staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby? Share your experiences!