“Staff was for the most part extremely helpful” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Willoughby
Central MA
“Staff was for the most part extremely helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here for about 2 weeks. I was in town to visit my father in the hospital, and the staff was very accommodating. Even though rooms were filed near capacity, they were able to extend my stay and to find adjacent room for my brothers who eventually joined me. We found DeAnna to be particularly helpful and caring during our difficult time, as were one of the other women receptionists (whose name I cannot recall), who had recently been through a situation similar to ours.

There were two downsides to the hotel. Although the Bistro in the lobby was a decent place for breakfast, they would frequently be out of basic items, such as "any bread but sourdough". Also, they opened considerably late on Saturday.

The other downside was their lack of ability to control several problematic guests. There was a wedding party on the floor, who were extremely discourteous. On Friday night, they woke my brother with a midnight call asking for a blanket [shouldn't they be calling the staff]. On the subsequent night, after a particularly awful day for us, they were extremely noise past midnight, and we asked them to be more quiet. This didn't work, so then we asked the night manager to address the situation, probably about 12:30 to 1:00 AM. The night manager spoke to them, and then returned to the lobby and watched TV. Meanwhile, the wedding party became extremely loud and vulgar [thankfully my children were not with me]. At around 2:20, I had enough, and called the night clerk again. He said, "You guys already called once". I explained that the noise continued to be beyond excessive, and he then addressed the situation. The next morning he explained that rather than monitoring the situation, he thought he would rely on us to complain again, and reach him in the lobby. This was completely the wrong way to handle it, as we did not feel we should have to figure out how long to lie awake and determining when to complain again. In compensation, Christian did the right thing and gave us the night stay free and breakfast free, which was much appreciated. However, they need to be more proactive as a staff and stay on top of a situation which had gotten out of hand.

Room Tip: Ice machines are in the middle of the building, workout room and pool on the first floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
WlbyCtyd, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Central_MA_Traveller,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you were here during a difficult time, but happy to know that the staff took extra steps to accommodate you and your family. I do apologize however, for the disturbance from the other guests. We hope that if you do find the need to come back to the area, that you will choose to stay with us again.

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Southeast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

From the updated lobby, public spaces and room, to the desk and bistro staff, this is a delightful place to stay. The desk staff remembered us from a previous stay and the Bistro staff remembered what we ordered the week before. The room rate is reasonable and the place clean and delightful. Breakfast is a bit on the expensive side. The only not-positive comment would be that we were there during heavy snow and the drive wasn't plowed, nor was the immediate front entrance. It was slippery, so guests could fall and that would be a serious problem. Bed was very comfortable. Took a while to get hot water. Room spray was a problem for my colleague but not for me. Great location. Free Wifi. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear SEbiztraveler2,
Thank you so very much for taking the time out of your day to review our property. I am thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant experience, besides the Cleveland weather. Hopefully if you would be able to visit us again during the spring or summer. We hope to have the chance to host you once again!
EASTLAKE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed there for 3 days and it was a pleasant experience. Despite there being a snow storm, they were prepared for it and driving in their parking lot was no problem. The room was comfortable and clean. Nice breakfast, pool, and workout room. The location is very freeway accessible and the staff was very helpful with a few transportation questions I had.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear jbscram,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I am so happy to hear that despite the Cleveland snow, you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you can return during the spring or summer seasons as we would love the opportunity to host you once again!
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel was in just the right location for me. It is right off the highway so easy in and out, plenty of food options within walking distance. The room was clean and neat, there was great coffee and the complimentary shampoo was Paul Mitchell. The one thing lacking in the room was a refrigerator, it would have come in handy for sure. The staff were excellent and speedy with check in and out. Deann was especially helpful!

Room Tip: There is a bit of road noise if your room faces the highway like mine did. If this is a concern for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear ColoradoDivers,
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review our property! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. For future reference, we do have a supply of portable mini refridgerators available upon request. If you are back in the area in the future, please let us know if we can do anything to make your stay more comfortable and we will do our best to accommodate you!
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

A good stay and excellent service, and very friendly staff. Only thing I would change is the
the hot tub next to the pool, very lukewarm and shallow. The internet was a little slow as well. We stayed over Chritsmas eve and the staff was very accomodating to our needs.

Room Tip: Pick the third floor, the exit doors on the first floor (near rooms) slam shut.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear oreo2007,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and to help future guests make an educated decision for their hotel accommodations. I apologize that there were issues with the whirlpool, it has since had the heater replaced. We have also had our wireless internet network re-routed to improve connectivity for our guests. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, that you will choose to stay with us once again.
Eastlake, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My company put me up at this hotel while my relocation was being done. At first I did not know what to expect but this changed as time went by. The room I requested was always reserved for me when I would come back on Sundays, with a refrigerator and microwave. I was upgraded to the suites when my room was not available. Being there for that long period of time I found my self coming down with the Flu; James in the Bistro took excellent care of me and helped me get over my Flu like if I was at home; soup, tea and was sent to my room with a Tonic that had me cleared up by the next day! Carrie was an excellent hostes (Assistant GM) she was always asking what she could do to help, she even help me with a realtor to finish my relocation. I can not say enough about the staff they made me feel like family and took excellent care of all my needs while I stayed with them. Chris the GM all ways asked if there was anything that they could do to make my stay with them better. I miss them and feel like they will always be friends that I can go back and visit. James at the Bistro as well as with Trista, Carrie and her fron desk staff Deanne and the rest of the cleanning people could be counted to make your stay a pleasent one as they did with mine. My stay was also over Super Storm Sandy we lost power at the hotel and Chris stood with us for over 30 hours making sure that all of his hotel guest had proper accomodations at other hotels nearby. Again going over and beyond what they needed to do they stood with the hotel and made sure that everyone had a place to stay.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone, the toilet paper issue that everyone writes about is funny as ti also happen to me but it was quickly remedied by the management staff.

Room Tip: Book ahead and ask for Carrie.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here one night for business. It was located close to my business meeting the following day. The hotel was clean and comfortable overall. The lobby was nice. It had a small "restaurant" that served Starbucks which was convenient in the morning.

The room was fine. It was an older style room with the sink outside of the bathtub/shower. The bed was ok. I am finding that the Courtyard by Marriott's are not consistent quality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby? Share your experiences!