“Very good.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Willoughby
Columbus, Ohio
“Very good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

A good stay and excellent service, and very friendly staff. Only thing I would change is the
the hot tub next to the pool, very lukewarm and shallow. The internet was a little slow as well. We stayed over Chritsmas eve and the staff was very accomodating to our needs.

Room Tip: Pick the third floor, the exit doors on the first floor (near rooms) slam shut.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WlbyCtyd, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear oreo2007,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and to help future guests make an educated decision for their hotel accommodations. I apologize that there were issues with the whirlpool, it has since had the heater replaced. We have also had our wireless internet network re-routed to improve connectivity for our guests. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, that you will choose to stay with us once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Eastlake, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My company put me up at this hotel while my relocation was being done. At first I did not know what to expect but this changed as time went by. The room I requested was always reserved for me when I would come back on Sundays, with a refrigerator and microwave. I was upgraded to the suites when my room was not available. Being there for that long period of time I found my self coming down with the Flu; James in the Bistro took excellent care of me and helped me get over my Flu like if I was at home; soup, tea and was sent to my room with a Tonic that had me cleared up by the next day! Carrie was an excellent hostes (Assistant GM) she was always asking what she could do to help, she even help me with a realtor to finish my relocation. I can not say enough about the staff they made me feel like family and took excellent care of all my needs while I stayed with them. Chris the GM all ways asked if there was anything that they could do to make my stay with them better. I miss them and feel like they will always be friends that I can go back and visit. James at the Bistro as well as with Trista, Carrie and her fron desk staff Deanne and the rest of the cleanning people could be counted to make your stay a pleasent one as they did with mine. My stay was also over Super Storm Sandy we lost power at the hotel and Chris stood with us for over 30 hours making sure that all of his hotel guest had proper accomodations at other hotels nearby. Again going over and beyond what they needed to do they stood with the hotel and made sure that everyone had a place to stay.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone, the toilet paper issue that everyone writes about is funny as ti also happen to me but it was quickly remedied by the management staff.

Room Tip: Book ahead and ask for Carrie.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here one night for business. It was located close to my business meeting the following day. The hotel was clean and comfortable overall. The lobby was nice. It had a small "restaurant" that served Starbucks which was convenient in the morning.

The room was fine. It was an older style room with the sink outside of the bathtub/shower. The bed was ok. I am finding that the Courtyard by Marriott's are not consistent quality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ASHVILLE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Caters to elite business crowd that apparently likes to impress each other with extra expenses and mediocre service. Whereas the decor was modern, bright, and spiffy, there were several distractions that affected my rating.
Internet service was very slow, especially during peak hours of use (mornings and evenings).
Bedsheets do not fit mattress well, so they shift as you turn and become a loose mess.
Noises from upstairs bathroom are carried through walls and audible in bed.
Requests for mini-fridge were apparently ignored.
No recognition for Marriott Rewards loyalty; everyone is treated with equal dislike.
Stairs located at end of hallways, and elevators are hideously slow.
Bistro prices are Courtyard's way of gouging their clientele to pay more for things that are often dispensed freely and cheerfully at Residence or SpringHill Suites.

Bottom Line: You gotta love the elite air of this place, or have endless expense account to enjoy the luxuries this place tacks onto the bill. But, don't plan on any better rest than you would have received at a budget Travelodge (except the flatscreen telly is upgraded at Courtyard).

Room Tip: Avoid unless you cannot get around it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a long drive home & chose to stop overnight to break up the drive. The room was pleasant and comfortable. The service at check in was very helpful and appreciated. The addition of the bistro was welcome so we didn't have to travel far for a traditional breakfast. Price at the bistro was fairly reasonable. Overall, we were comfortable

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Eastlake, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Due to electrical repairs taking place on our house, we checked into the Courtyard on a Friday. Originally we had booked for Friday through Sunday. We ended up staying through the following Friday morning.

When we first checked in, I was very impressed. The lobby has a restaurant with a Starbucks. The front desk staff was very nice. We had a King Suite, which was great because we had two separate rooms for my wife, three children, and myself. The pool was heated, which was nice for this time of year, and my kids enjoyed it.

I don't consider myself a hotel snob, so I could care less about the decor, etc. However, after staying for a few days, I noticed there were stains on the bathroom ceiling. Our toilet paper was only replaced twice, causing us to run out on two separate mornings.

Two major issues that cause me to give such a poor rating. First of all, the hot tub in the pool area was broken when we checked in. I asked the front desk manager and was told that engineering was working on it and it should be fixed by the end of the weekend. It was not. On Wednesday, I asked again when the hot tub would be fixed. I was told again that she would check with engineering. When we checked out. the hot tub still was not fixed.

However, my biggest issue came on Thursday morning. Since we did not know when our house would be fixed, each morning I came to the front desk to extend our stay by one additional day. When I first checked in, I used my debit card, which was authorized for almost $900 for a $700 hotel bill. I understand that hotels always authorize more than the actual bill amount, so this was fine. When we woke up Monday morning, a bill was under our door. When I extended our stay on Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday morning my card was authorized for an additional $200. From Tuesday through Thursday morning, I did not get any type of invoice or bill in the morning. When I extended our stay on Thursday morning through Friday, our room keys were renewed and I came back to our room. Five minutes later, I got a call from the front desk saying there was an issue with my debit card.

I went right to the front desk and spent ALMOST AN HOUR trying to sort through my account with the front desk manager. They attempted to bill my debit card for over $1400 without releasing the previous holds of $900 and $200, which caused my card to decline. Even though I get text alerts on my debit card and could see the exact amount and time of every transaction that was authorized, they claimed that they had only authorized my card for $700 total and that I owed an additional $700 right away. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. The desk manager insisted on calling my bank to verify the amounts that were held. I was forced to go get my checkbook out of my car to have her verify the bank account number that was linked to the card.

If the $1100 in authorizations were put through, I would have owed a little over $300 on my balance, INCLUDING the night that we hadn't even stayed yet. I had over $500 in cash on me and was more than willing to pay the difference, even in advance. However, because she refused to put through or release the autorizations for the proper amounts, I had to drive almost an hour each way to my credit union, get out more cash, and wait 5-7 business days for the authorizations to expire off of my card. Rather than putting through the over $1100 that was already authorized to my card, I was treated like a common criminal at the front desk for over an hour. Needless to say, we will be spending the night in a different hotel until our house repairs are complete.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mentor, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Long story short we chose Courtyard because they offered a free shuttle service for our wedding if we booked 15 rooms. I was hesitate due to the managers lack of reply to email/calls at first, but the comp. for shuttle was a good perk. Our wedding is Oct. 5 and they stopped our block of rooms mid September without advising us first. Luckily I called to reserve more rooms for family members and were told there were no rooms in block, they could not block more rooms for us AND there were no rooms available any longer. So any incoming family/friends who would reserve rooms would not be able to. I talked to Carrie and she advised its standard practice to stop a block 4 weeks out, its in our contract. I asked if she thought to AT LEAST contact us first before freeing the rooms so we can advise how many we'll need. She said, sorry no but if the Radisson can help us we can go there. The Radisson has been more than helpful, responsive, quick and professional so now i have to tell my entire wedding party/guests of the new hotel. I"m completely disappointed. They didn't even offer to check other hotels/help additionally.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Beth: We have reviewed your comments with our Sales team. Our Sales team confirmed they had been working on the group with your fiancé who was informed of the group cut-off date. Although we try to accommodate whenever possible, once the cut-off date occurs, it’s imperative that any rooms not booked by the group be released to the public so we can book rooms. The cut-off dates are discussed and signed with each group contract so that it’s very clear from the inception of the contract. We feel confident the dates were discussed as part of the original signed contract. We appreciate your business and regret we were unable to book more rooms for your group once the cut-off dates had passed.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby? Share your experiences!