“Rude staff and hot tub broken for a week” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Willoughby
Eastlake, Ohio
“Rude staff and hot tub broken for a week”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Due to electrical repairs taking place on our house, we checked into the Courtyard on a Friday. Originally we had booked for Friday through Sunday. We ended up staying through the following Friday morning.

When we first checked in, I was very impressed. The lobby has a restaurant with a Starbucks. The front desk staff was very nice. We had a King Suite, which was great because we had two separate rooms for my wife, three children, and myself. The pool was heated, which was nice for this time of year, and my kids enjoyed it.

I don't consider myself a hotel snob, so I could care less about the decor, etc. However, after staying for a few days, I noticed there were stains on the bathroom ceiling. Our toilet paper was only replaced twice, causing us to run out on two separate mornings.

Two major issues that cause me to give such a poor rating. First of all, the hot tub in the pool area was broken when we checked in. I asked the front desk manager and was told that engineering was working on it and it should be fixed by the end of the weekend. It was not. On Wednesday, I asked again when the hot tub would be fixed. I was told again that she would check with engineering. When we checked out. the hot tub still was not fixed.

However, my biggest issue came on Thursday morning. Since we did not know when our house would be fixed, each morning I came to the front desk to extend our stay by one additional day. When I first checked in, I used my debit card, which was authorized for almost $900 for a $700 hotel bill. I understand that hotels always authorize more than the actual bill amount, so this was fine. When we woke up Monday morning, a bill was under our door. When I extended our stay on Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday morning my card was authorized for an additional $200. From Tuesday through Thursday morning, I did not get any type of invoice or bill in the morning. When I extended our stay on Thursday morning through Friday, our room keys were renewed and I came back to our room. Five minutes later, I got a call from the front desk saying there was an issue with my debit card.

I went right to the front desk and spent ALMOST AN HOUR trying to sort through my account with the front desk manager. They attempted to bill my debit card for over $1400 without releasing the previous holds of $900 and $200, which caused my card to decline. Even though I get text alerts on my debit card and could see the exact amount and time of every transaction that was authorized, they claimed that they had only authorized my card for $700 total and that I owed an additional $700 right away. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. The desk manager insisted on calling my bank to verify the amounts that were held. I was forced to go get my checkbook out of my car to have her verify the bank account number that was linked to the card.

If the $1100 in authorizations were put through, I would have owed a little over $300 on my balance, INCLUDING the night that we hadn't even stayed yet. I had over $500 in cash on me and was more than willing to pay the difference, even in advance. However, because she refused to put through or release the autorizations for the proper amounts, I had to drive almost an hour each way to my credit union, get out more cash, and wait 5-7 business days for the authorizations to expire off of my card. Rather than putting through the over $1100 that was already authorized to my card, I was treated like a common criminal at the front desk for over an hour. Needless to say, we will be spending the night in a different hotel until our house repairs are complete.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mentor, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Long story short we chose Courtyard because they offered a free shuttle service for our wedding if we booked 15 rooms. I was hesitate due to the managers lack of reply to email/calls at first, but the comp. for shuttle was a good perk. Our wedding is Oct. 5 and they stopped our block of rooms mid September without advising us first. Luckily I called to reserve more rooms for family members and were told there were no rooms in block, they could not block more rooms for us AND there were no rooms available any longer. So any incoming family/friends who would reserve rooms would not be able to. I talked to Carrie and she advised its standard practice to stop a block 4 weeks out, its in our contract. I asked if she thought to AT LEAST contact us first before freeing the rooms so we can advise how many we'll need. She said, sorry no but if the Radisson can help us we can go there. The Radisson has been more than helpful, responsive, quick and professional so now i have to tell my entire wedding party/guests of the new hotel. I"m completely disappointed. They didn't even offer to check other hotels/help additionally.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Beth: We have reviewed your comments with our Sales team. Our Sales team confirmed they had been working on the group with your fiancé who was informed of the group cut-off date. Although we try to accommodate whenever possible, once the cut-off date occurs, it’s imperative that any rooms not booked by the group be released to the public so we can book rooms. The cut-off dates are discussed and signed with each group contract so that it’s very clear from the inception of the contract. We feel confident the dates were discussed as part of the original signed contract. We appreciate your business and regret we were unable to book more rooms for your group once the cut-off dates had passed.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Avoid this place unless you enjoy a dirty noisy Frat party feel. I'm currently here about to check out after a 3 night stay with my wife and young sons. Last night there were people running in the hallway drunkenly yelling until 4:30 am. The substandard HVAC system in our room sounds like a door slamming every time it cycles on/off. These 2 put together equal no sleep all night. That is simply not acceptable. I am appalled that management would allow drunks to overtake their small lobby and first floor hallways while they have Marriot Rewards members like us staying at their hotel. I would NEVER stay here again and this hotel has made me rethink my Marriott brand allegiance. And also, they claim to have a Starbucks in their lobby yet they don't know how to make the drinks they charge 5.00$ each for. The management of this hotel needs a major training lesson in hotel service. Should rename this place Motel 6.

• Stayed August 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
ALUMKING,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review on TripAdvisor. We certainly value our Marriott Rewards members and appreciate your continued business. I’m sorry that your recent stay with us was an unpleasant one with loud guests and an overworked a/c unit. I will discuss your comments with our staff in our next weekly meeting and emphasize a heightened awareness of guest conduct to eliminate rowdy activity. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope to earn your business again and have you come back to stay with us for a more positive experience.

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Recently brought a group to swimmers to a meet in the area and had an incredible experience with all staff members at the Courtyard. Such a rare experience to be able to say ALL staff was friendly, responsive and accommodating to our very odd schedule. Whether we were breakfasting in the main area at 5:30 AM or eating late dinners, the staff was gracious and went out of their way to assist our group. As the majority of our group was teen-aged, we also appreciated the friendliness and understanding of the housekeeping staff who graciously worked around our young athletes and their equipment. Obviously a very well managed property!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Carol K,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing about our hotel on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to have you and your young swimmers staying with us. I’m glad to hear that our staff was not only friendly, but also accommodating to your needs. We welcome you to come and stay with us again the next time you’re in Willoughby.

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

After camping for a week in 90+ temperatures, we decided to splurge and stay here. We found it to be clean and quiet. The shower was great. No breakfast was the only negative.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
JoyBHannon_ON,

Thank you for choosing Courtyard for your ‘splurge’. We hope you did have a good time camping, despite the heat. Glad to hear you felt our hotel is clean and quiet. We invite you to stay with us again the next time you visit Willoughby.

Crivitz, wi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

For $150/night we expect comfortable beds, relative silence, free breakfast. For Marriott properties we expect a bit more. This motel had deafeningly loud toilets - We knew all our neighbor's bathroom habits. The coffee in the room was toxically-bad. Lack of a free breakfast is just plain chintzy in a premium-priced motel. At least the toilets awoke us from comfortable beds during the night.

Room Tip: Usually I'd say "just pick a Marriott property". Now I should say "BUT check Tri...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Northerngrandpa,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will be talking with my team regarding your comments. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope this experience does not deter you from staying with Courtyard in the future.

Christopher Cornett, General Manager
Delaware, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

For A hotel that has just undergone reservations, I was not impressed with the quality of the rooms. The room we were in was very dry, so much so that I woke up with a nosebleed, that is when I was able to sleep at all. The hotel choice was used because we were up for a wedding for my brother, and this was the hotel they set up a block of rooms with. The first night I woke up at 2 in the morning to find I had got my arm caught in the bed springs because the mattress that was left on the bed had an entire side split open to where the springs were exposed. I could have seriously injured myself. After this I couldn't get back to sleep because there was not enough air in the room to keep it cool. I informed the front desk, and at least they changed the mattress (I didn't even mention the air because I had learned the hotel was booked and I new it wouldn't do any good), but I was a little disappointed they did not offer me a discount on the night. The snacks that they had available for purchase including the drinks were warm at best because the cooler didn't work. The mini fridge I had requested for my room didn't even work, so it was pointless. I was also upset because I had called a few days in advance to find out if there was a continental breakfast offered and I was told at that time that there was a breakfast buffet for $5.95. When we got there, we found that the so called buffet would not be available til June 22 and they offered a chintzy continental breakfast. The overall quality of our stay was not worth what we paid. In truth, we had a much better stay at the Motel 6 that we had stayed in several months before right across the street. We had expected so much more and received so much less. Hopefully the quality changes, but I don't believe we will stay there any time soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Kevin A,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I regret that you did not have a good experience with us and I apologize for the issues you encountered. Please know that I will be meeting with our staff to review the high standards that Marriott is known for. All feedback is important and again, thank you for your review. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Chris Cornett, General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Willoughby? Share your experiences!