“Just ok.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Westlake
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here one night. upgraded us and we were the "guests of the day"! Room was fine, nothing special for a King suite. The air/heat is in the main part of the room so if you shut the door to the bedroom area you are dying from no air! I cant imagine if you stayed here in the summer! You would have to leave the door open between the room. If you were here with kids or wanted the door shut not good! Bar lounge area was pretty nice but it was flaming hot in there as well. I cant imagine the heating bill for this hotel... Everywhere you went it was like 15 degrees to warm. we ordered dinner for room service and one meal was free for being the guests of the day. When we ordered the person who took order was confused by this.?? IDK?? Was told finally after placing order it would be 45min. Fine but then a phone call after 30 min reviewing our order. So, we waited over an hour for our food. The gentelman who I spoke to delivered our food, Im guessing the manager?? He then came in our room to "explain" all of our food... We felt like the whole ordering thing ended up to be a pain! Just take our order get it right and show up in a timely manor. Could of done without the phone call and the food delivery speech. Go away!!! LOL!! Pool area was nice and we used the hot tub. Ice machine didnt work by pool. Breakfast was filling and had a nice selection to choose from. We did have a issue with half the lamps in our room not working, forgot to tell them about this! Lightbulbs I guess! I did let the front desk know that the hallway carpeting looked like it hadnt been vacumed in a few weeks! We laughed about it being that long but then as we were there we saw confetti in the hallway and elevator!! Can you say New Years Eve?? HMM. All in all this was a ok place and the food was fine. I kind of feel they are trying to be an upscale kind of place but are missing the mark on that....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RDMGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland -West, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
sandytoes4ever,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the community. I am glad to hear that over all you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that there was some confusion with your room service order. The guest of the day program is relatively new here at this property. A random guest is chosen each day to recieve complimentary amenities to showcase all of the different things our property has to offer.

Please know that the issues in your comment will be addressed immediately with each department manager. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Hotel Controller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
South Euclid, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

On January 11, 2013, I checked into the Holiday Inn. Upon check-in I was given room 253. When I made it up to the room it smelled stale. So I started looking around the room because a funny feeling came over me. I looked at the curtains and they were dirty but I did not pay it any mind. So I turned off the light and used my cellphone light to see if I could see any bed bugs. I did not see any so I felt a little comfortable. OH OH to my surprise, the next morning I woke up at 7am and I notice black stains on the pillows and the sheets. I started looking around but did not notice anything. Around 9am I started looking again because the black stains began to multiply and unbeknownst to me guess what I started seeing crawling around on the bed and the pillows - bed bugs. I immediately picked up the phone to call the front desk. While the phone was ringing for the front desk I see another bed bug lying on the nightstand on its back. I informed the front desk clerk that the room had bed bugs and she stated she will call me right back. The front desk clerk called me right back and informed me that she would move me to another room. I thought about it and I informed her that I did not want another room I was leaving. She informed me that she would not charge me for the room and her General Manager would be calling. I took pictures of these little things and I trapped one in a bottle cap on the bed. I informed the front desk clerk that if the housekeeper would move the bottle cap they would see the bug. The front desk clerk asked me to send her the pictures of the bed bugs so she can forward them to her GM. I sent the pictures to her. The GM never called me so I had to call her. When she did return my call not one time did she apologize for my inconvenience. Her conversation was stating that she has to have an exterminator come before she could say if they had bed bugs or not. Oh yeah, she stated that the pictures I sent her she could not tell if the bug was a bed bug or not. From this conversation with the GM I felt she was calling me a liar about informing them of their bed bugs problem. On top of her indirectly calling me liar, I had to stop her and tell her not one time during our whole conversation did she apologize. Oh yeah, I have bed bug bites going up and down both of my arms and on my hands. I work in a profession where I deal with people and this is very un-attracted that I am walking around showing all these marks. In my opinion, GM had a very lack of attitude and did not care.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
jremalius, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland -West, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Chauneecy:

On behalf of the Holiday Inn Westlake, I would like to extend my apologies for the unintentional lack of empathy you expressed. We take great pride in the comfort of our guests and responded immediately before evaluating the room to ease your concern As you know our team applied a full refund upon receiving your call in the morning prior to your departure.

Though my intention was only to evaluate and resolve the situation, we were side-tracked by an Employee rate card that you presented at check in, which could not be verified from the issuing hotel. After determining this was an unauthorized use of the rate card, I have turned the matter over to the corporate office to resolve directly with you for any further discussion. The corporate office will be in contact with you on my behalf.

Best Regards,
Janet Remalius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

From Andrew at the front desk to service at breakfast, everyone makes you feel at home and important. The structure is older but with Janet's (the General Manager) effort and Loving touch it is a shining star in Cleveland.

• Stayed January 2013
Powerplant66,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community. I am glad to hear that you were able to experience warmth and friendliness from everyone you met! Our staff is what truly makes the difference at this hotel. Our staff does everything they can to make the day of each and every guest they meet. thank you again for your kind words.

Somers, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The most important thing for us on a family trip is finding a location that gives us a good night sleep, and that did not happen at this location. The problems started at check in when they informed us that their key card system was not working. Every time we needed in our room, a hotel employee had to let us in. Upon entering our room the heat was set to 85*F! So we turned it down and switched the a/c on (it's Deember), but the room never got below 75*F all night. It was uncomfortable, even with no blankets! While the matress was comfortable, the only pillows in the room were small, square & lumpy, like they were stuffed with little foam cubes. As a priority club platinum member we were offered a complimentary breakfast, which was good. We took the kids to the pool in the morning, which was a little chilly, but a nice relief after having to stay in our very hot room. The hot tub was out of order, so we were unable to use it. Upon check out we shared our concerns with the front desk, we received a, "oh so sorry for that!"

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jremalius, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland -West, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Mommybird:

I am so sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. It certainly is unacceptable that your room temperature was not comfortable and the hot tub not working. We did have the difficulty with the key machine and that has been repaired.

Please do call me at your convenience I would like to try and resolve these issues for you. We want to provide our guests with the best possible experience and it is obvious that in your case we did not. I would also like to change out those pillows in your room and so would like to know the room that you stayed in so we can fix the AC/Heater as well.

Again, my sincere apologies and I look forward to your call.

Janet Remalius, CHA
Holiday Inn Westlake, Ohio
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having traveled continuously around the world for over 20 years, I am what one would call a seasoned traveler. Never before have I been compelled to write a review for a hotel - until now. But this hotel is different. This hotel is the Holiday Inn in Westlake, OH

Having stayed here on numerous occasions, the difference at this hotel is the people. They are all warm, friendly and welcoming from the minute you walk in the door. I join numerous other "regular" guests who have shared with me the same feelings. It's like home away from home. In the spirit of acknowledging those that have made a difference during my stays, below is a list of people who I would like to extend a special "thank you" for making me feel at home:

It all starts at the front desk. Thank you Tammy, Stuart, Andrew, Adrienne, Tracey, Lauren, Kim, Rosie, Michael and Lenn. It does make a difference when you greet everyone with a friendly smile and a willingness to make their stay comfortable.

I would also like to give my thanks to the restaurant staff. Thank you all so much for your warm greetings in the morning and for helping my day get started with a smile during breakfast. Thank you Fediz, Gerrie, Karen, Sue, Andrew and April.

As for the lounge - - what can I say? It's been a pleasure to relax with the casual conversation and laughs we've enjoyed in the Corkers Lounge. Special thanks to Dana, Ted, Jen, and Andrea. Keep up the great work!

I look forward to my next visit! Have a GREAT holiday and see you all next year!

Jerry Magner

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jerry M,

Wow!!! What can I say? Thank you so much for your kind words and recognition of our staff. Our staff works very hard to bring a smile to the face of all of our guests in any way they can. We are so glad that we have been able to make you feel so at home when you are away from home.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with the community.

Cherry Valley, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

we stayed about12 days, for my wife's appoinment at cleveland clinic. they gave us a great rate and treated us just great. will be goig back in january and will stay there again.. it is about 20 miles fron the clinic, but the drive is not bad after 10.00am, trafick wise that is, they are just so friendly. i guess if you have an earlier appointment you need to give yourself about an hour and a half thou.

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the pool area
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
RDMGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland -West, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
leosee,

Thank you so much for coming back and staying with us yet again! It is great when we get to hear from guests who have made us their hotel of choice. It is even better to get great feedback about our staff!!!

I am so happy that we were able to accomodate you and your wife and make your 12 days with us a little more easier. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with the community. I am certain future readers will find your comments very helpful.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Lobby is outstanding. The indoor pool and hot tub are in the center of the hotel, reminding one of an Embassy Suites look. Check in was a breeze, followed by a phone call from the front desk clerk to make sure I was happy. Acknowledged Priority Club status and offered a free breakfast coupon for it.

Business center is large and bright offering more than one computer. It was busy when I got there.

Room was clean, offering fridge and microwave. Quiet area, with many restaurants, shops around it.

The only suggestion I have, as I am a coffee lover: Coffee should be offered in the lobby at all times (there was hot apple cider when I got there), and in the rooms, real half and half containers instead of that powdered cream in the packets would be appreciated.

Other than those small details, the hotel is beautiful, service great. You should enjoy your stay there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MiaEllinitha-USA,

Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor. It was great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. The surrounding areas filled with shops and theaters can be a real joy if you have a moment or 2 to relax.

I completely understand about the coffee. I am also a coffee fan. Nothing beats the aroma of a freshly brewed pot at 6am. We wanted to try and do something a little more festive for the holidays for our guests with the apple cider. We haven't finished combing through our feedback on that, but, I will be sure to bring up your thoughts at our next meeting. Thanks again so much for your thoughts!

Been to Holiday Inn Cleveland -West? Share your experiences!