“WORST gyro ever!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 164 Restaurants in West Chester
Cincinnati, Ohio
“WORST gyro ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Someone at work left a printed menu of the Tuscan Sun Cafe in our lunchroom. I took a look and saw they had gyros. I decided to give them a try. Even though they had only been open for lunch a few minutes, the place was empty except for two people outside on the patio. After my experience, I'm not surprised the place didn't have more customers.

After ordering, I was surprised to be charged over $8 (carry-out, should be no restaurant tax) . Then when they brought the styrofoam container out and handed it to me, it felt surprisingly light. Not a good sign, every gyro I've ever eaten has been a substantial sandwich.

When I opened my container, I saw a pita laid out flat with a bunch of salad on top of it. What the heck is this? Where's the meat? Then, I dug. Found the meat...two thin (1/16") slices laid flat, side by side on the bottom of the gyro, not even enough to cover the circumference of the pita. That's ALL the meat you get! What the heck, I'll fold it up like a real gyro and eat it. Then I found out it had a bunch of cheese on it. Seriously, who puts cheese on a gyro? Oh yeah, among the salad were also slices of cucumber. Who does this? There were also a few tortilla chips on the side, already stale-tasting like they've been out in the humidity.

The lack of meat meant the gyro was practically tasteless. It was so bad, I didn't even finish eating it. When I got back to work, I checked the menu that had been left there. It did clearly state the presence of the cucumber, and the cheese - mozzarella, feta and asiago. I then saw that this cafe is some sort of "California cuisine". I guess that's yuppie-speak for "let's turn a classic meat sandwich into a salad and charge out the wazoo for it". Guess I should have expected as much in yuppie-fied West Chester. At any rate, it was the worst gyro I've ever had in my life.

These folks might have some good food, but the exorbitant price and lack of meat on a meat sandwich convinced me to never eat here again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Ohio
“1st time great, 2nd time disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Both times we have gone to Flavors Eatery (now known as the Tuscan Sun Cafe), we have used a restaurant.com gift certificate. The first time that my husband and I went was pretty tasty. When we went last week, we were very disappointed. The tea was disgusting, there were bugs flying around everywhere and my husband found a dead bug in the container that holds the sugar packets! There food is decent... the hummus is their best food item! We probably would not go back unless we have another gift certificate. :/ Unfortunate because it's a cool place, but not a gem.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Springboro, Ohio
“A hidden treasure!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Although I live only about 10 minutes away, I somehow never knew about this little gem until I relocated my office to the area. It's not a place I would likely venture into absent a suggestions from a friend, as it's in a less than appealling strip mall. That said, the food is so delicious!!

Lots of veg and non-veg options. Theire teas are great. It's an ecclectic little place. The hours are a bit odd -- maily a work week lunch place. The staff (owners) are nice. The serving size is extremely generous for the price. It warms up fairly well if you opt for a take-home box!

Highly suggest!

Visited February 2012
Florida/Cincinnati
“Great cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

This is a great little cafe tucked behind usbank on 747 ive eating there many times have wide selection of different foods and good prices. Geat for families and anyone looking for some good food and atomsphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfield, Ohio
“Surprising little West Chester eatery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The restaurant is tucked in an office building strip mall and behind the Skyline Chili, so it's easy to miss since there isn't a lot of signage. If you're looking for flatbread pizzas, wraps and sandwiches, this is the place to go. It's also a nice independent restaurant.

I ordered the portobella mushroom flatbread that included chicken, fresh tomatoes, fresh spinach, cheese and their special "white sauce." The diced chicken was tender and tasted good. The flatbread was nicely toasted and the other vegetables were good, although the mushrooms were diced instead of sliced or a whole mushroom. Also, there was a lot of thyme in the dish, which gave some bites an overwhelming herb flavor. It was served with tortilla chips lightly drizzled with the white thyme sauce.

The menu featured the same combinations of wraps as flatbreads, and there were salads and sandwiches as well. If you're looking for a "rush" lunch place, this probably isn't it. They're a bit more relaxed.

Still, it's definitely on my list to try again.

• Visited October 2011