“I Don't Get It.....” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dayton, OH
“I Don't Get It.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I just don't get it. Friends and acquaintances have raved about this place for the past several years. This was our first visit. Maybe it was the build-up we'd been given. Average food, average service. Just because a menu is "unsual", does not make the food all that great. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't bad food, just average. Not exactly rich flavors. The atmosphere was C+ at best. This is NOT an elegant restaurant. Jeans are just fine. If I hadn't known better, I'da' sworn I was in some mid-level Mexican restaurant without the TV's. This is NOT an inexpensive restaurant. A stingy serving of bland "gourmet" fajitas for $23?? Some type of mystery "steak" hidden under chimichurri sauce for $25 with a side of a 1/3 cup mound of yellow rice with some black beans spread around the plate??? Give me a break. From now on, if we're in the mood for Spanish, Latin, Peruvian...or whatevertheheck ethnicity El Meson is trying to pass itself off as, we'll find an El Toro Mexican restaurant and get similar atmosphere, more flavorful food, and more generous servings at a third of the price. We did have very good, fast, attentive/friendly-without-being-overly-familiar service - no problems in that area.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

West Carrollton, Ohio
“Dayton gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is excellent all-around, very unique. The menu has a great variety for vegetarians also

• Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Terrific Spanish Flavour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stopped for lunch on our way home on the I-75 and were truly delighted with El Meson. The food was delicious and the service perfect. My husband had the shrimp and corn soup for starters and I had the black bean soup - both great. Then we opted for the Cuban sandwich that was yummy but we had to take 'doggie bags' as we were sated. I tried the Sangria and just loved it - have only had Sangria once in New Mexico, but this was the best yet.

Charming fun place to visit - would love to stop there again.

Dayton
“A good kitchen spoiled by bad atmosphere and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I've just returned from a dinner at El Meson. As much as I want to enjoy El Meson, I come away thinking the menu looks better than the meal turns out. Part, maybe most, of the problem is that El Meson can't seem to decide if it's a nice, classy place or a noisy casual place. I ordered the ceviche as a starter and one Peruvian specials (Locro de Pescado) and both were fine. However, the service was quirky and poorly timed -- why have one person take your order and someone completely different deliver it? Simple requests like: "I'll have my glass of wine with my main" or "please bring our dinners together" aren't followed. My wife and I ate almost completely separately. Then, why would any good restaurant seat a couple with reservations next to a noisy table with two sets of parents with two noisy babies? One of the children banged on the table repeatedly and nothing was said. Not by the parents (who were oblivious) nor by the restaurant. Part of the problem is the "back" room. It has always been noisy, even without children. Next time, if there is a next time, I will ask not to be seated there. The food was ok, but I was in no mood to enjoy it. A good kitchen spoiled by bad atmosphere and service.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dayton
“Fantastic Overall Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have had the pleasure of dining in many places in the world, and can safely say that El Meson, south of Dayton is a wonderful example of world class food and service. I truely feel like the staff are family, and they treat every customer in a similar manner. My family truely enjoys the whole experience and we have brought many friends over the years. Can't wait to go for Easter Sunday Brunch.

• Visited March 2014