“Friendly Staff and Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wauseon
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Friendly Staff and Convenient Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Your usual Holiday Inn. The staff at this location were friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Internet connection was a little slow. The breakfast was average. Convenient location, right off I-80.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The staff at this location really went out of their way to help our family after an initial mixup with our accommodations. We had requested a rollaway cot in advance but it was given out prior to our arrival.

The manager appeared at our door later with a cart of linens, pillows and snacks for our kids... a class act!

• Stayed July 2013
Coffeyville, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was in the area on a long term business assignment. The problems began the first night when I arrived in my room to find what appeared to be potato chips on the floor. Obviously the room had only had a sparse cleaning.

The next morning when I tried to take a shower I was unable to get water that was warmer than lukewarm. I spoke to the front desk and when I arrived back that evening found a note in the bathroom saying no problem found. I checked..still no hot water. I went back down stairs and he maintenance persons answer was you have to let the water run for 5-10 minutes. Really? So for the rest of my stay if I let the water run for 10 minutes or so I could get a shower on the warm side of lukewarm.

Additional problems in the bathroom. If the vent fan is left on a strong smell of sewer filled the bathroom. If it is turned off a strong smell of cigarette smoke filled the room. One answer was to turn on the A/C and see if it could filter some. That helped the smell a bit but the unit was so loud it was nearly impossible to watch TV or work.

Throughout my stay it was completely impossible to have any quiet. In the evenings children ran up and down the hallways, doors slammed and the smell of smoke drifted into my room. I was on a non smoking floor but the smell was still very strong.

I was gone on weekday mornings but on weekends it was completely impossible to have any quiet. The housekeeping staff talked very loudly, slammed doors and I seriously thought they were going to fall through the floor above me they stomped around so heavily.

Every problem I encountered was brought to the staffs attention and not a single one was addressed satisfactorily. They were generally rude and definitely non responsive to any complaints.

I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express all over the country and this was by far the worst ever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wauseon, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Scottypup,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret you found the room and the service you received less than satisfactory. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Despite your disappointments we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Standard Holiday Inn Express. Situated in a quiet town off of the interstate. Room was clean, Staff was happy and courteous.

In house internet was slow to medium speed. Enough to get work done and send receive files.

Mattress was hard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

There is not much to see in Wauseon, but if you need a place to crash after driving, this is a good choice. Check-in was quick and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable (if you don't mind the heat and cooling unit blowing from the window area). The drain in the shower was very slow (Room 212). It seems Susan1456 had the same issue -- this would be a good time to get some Drano!! There was a good variety of breakfast items, mostly consisted of grains -- cereals, breads, pastries, pancakes. They also offered "eggs", yogurt and juice and they were good at keeping it well stocked. I thought the coffee was weak, so it was a bit disappointing. I do recoommend HIE and I would return again if I needed a play to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Center Harbor, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Shelly was the best at our check in. We had been driving over 12 hours and we were checked in and in our room very quickly. The room was clean and comfortable. The shower did not drain (room 212) so you stood in your water while showering.
You can't open the bathroom door when you shower because the hot water steam will set off the fire alarm for the whole hotel. This happened to us at 11pm. My son went running to the lobby of the hotel only to find no one there. I was so exhausted, I choose to stay in bed, but then was unable to fall back asleep. There should have been someone to assure us it was a false alarm. But in speaking with the front desk the next morning, it happens so often, they just ignore it. Hopefully they will not experience a real fire....

The breakfast was the typical fare and the desk person came right out to make sure I had what I needed- we left at 6 am so it was quiet in the lobby.

I wouldn't not go to this hotel but you should be aware of the fire alarm factor.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms puts you on the quiet/ not the parking lot side of the hotel.