“Nice, Quiet, Dark!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn At Versailles

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
The Inn At Versailles
You added The Inn At Versailles to your Saves list
21 W. Main Street, Versailles, OH 45380   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Versailles B&B and Inns
dayton, oh
“Nice, Quiet, Dark!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We had a Groupon for this place so we figured it would be worth the money regardless! It was very nice actually. So glad I had read the review about some rooms having no windows. It would have freaked me out if I hadn't been anticipating it. Sure enough our room was one of the interior rooms--but actually worked out well since I like a really dark room for sleeping. And being interior meant we didn't hear the train whose tracks are right behind the hotel. Very clean and obviously has had some money put into making it nice. The staff was very pleasant too!

Room Tip: Their website has pictures of every room--so look through it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
St. Marys, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We had the pleasure of visiting The Inn last evening. I had purchased a Sweetheart Package to celebrate my significant other's birthday. The meal was very good as was the service. Although I had gotten my reservations late and couldn't choose the room I really had wanted, the room I did choose was VERY nice with a jacuzzi in the bathroom. When I'm at The Inn it's hard for me to believe I'm in a small town in Ohio. For a little while we get to escape our normal life and be pampered a bit. This was the second time I've purchased the Sweetheart Package and I'm looking forward to the next time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Maple Grove, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Room was great, but........... the anticipated meal was cold and not good value for the money spent. And this is the only show in town. The antipasto was European and the chef's choice of the Montepulciano was on target but our meals were not. There was no hostess and we were bumped for a table by two groups of people behind us in line. Service was confused and timing was off. I waited over an hour for cold miniscule lamb chops and my wife's veal marsala tasted like dog food with canned mushroom soup.The onion soup was delicious, as promised by our server, Char. I gave her an 18% tip, that was already added to the check. That irritated me, but I was anxious to leave the restaurant after two hours playing with cold food. The restaurant manager made the rounds inquiring about service as well did the "chef" inquiring about the food, each bypassed our table and that hurt my feelings.
Actually I wanted to say good things about the Inn but checking my bill left me with " I paid over a hundred dollars for that?" Especially irritated by the rock gospel music that permeated the lobby and bath rooms. Who are these people marketing to? Why were we by passed by the manager on customer satisfaction? This Inn has so much potential. I have worked in customer satisfaction for twenty years as a consultant and see The Versailles Inn as ripe for help from a consultant. I have no desire to return.
Sorry.

Room Tip: 104 was good. Bring a bag lunch. Hope you like trains, the track is right behind the Inn
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

The Inn at Versailles is more than a pleasant surprise, it's an antidote to all of the cookie cutter hotels. Situated on a corner of "Rue de Main" (Main Street) this inn is part bed and breakfast and part chateau away from home. Each room has unique decor and some even have whirlpool tubs and fireplaces (though the fireplaces are not heat producing, the "rolling, faux flame" is a nice touch in the evening.)

Chandeliers, four poster beds, marble topped chess tables and faux finished walls make for an enjoyable space that is more expected in Europe than the middle of Ohio. All of the staff was delightful and friendly; try to be there on a Monday, when Judy works her only day; she is a gem!

There is a very good restaurant at the Inn and there is a light breakfast available in the back kitchen (behind the family room) in the mornings.

In the morning, make sure to inhale the "country air" of the surrounding farms, take a walk down the block to the Sweet Shop and Bakery and immerse yourself in true America, with the Inn adding a touch of Europe.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different so check the website first to select one that suits your design sense.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Greenville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Went to this Inn for our honeymoon. Arrived on time, checked in was told checkout was 11am. We told them that our parents reserved this room for us and we were to have an extended stay until 5pm. They told us an extended stay was only until noon. ??? We said no it had been arranged for us to stay later. They said we leave by noon. We are awaken the next morning at 11am by the housekeeper banging on our door wanting to know when we are getting out.??? We get up and get our things together and go down to the desk at 12:01 to find no one around. I ring bell, we look around for someone, I end up calling the hotel number and a message says that the hotel desk is unattended after 11am on Sundays??? Finally I call back and press one for the manager and get someone who says just leave the key lay. THIS IS A MOTEL with an unattended desk for their customers, Staff that tells you what ever you want to hear but doesn't follow through with it. Housekeeping that practically throws you out of the place. Service sucked!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The hotel markets itself as a "weekend getaway,romantic romp"type property.
It's nice enough in that respect. It's got a boutique feel to it...not a chain feel.

Check in was fine. Although secure your plans....they don't want you to cancel your reservation and have a strict cancellation policy due to the nature of their business.

I was traveling alone thru town not romping by any means but opted to stay here rather than in Greenville because I wanted to try the restaurant adjoining the hotel but I ate way too much at the County fair earlier in the day and only had a salad (which was among the worst salads if ever had..) and was heading north the next morning from Greenville and logistically this seemed like a fair bet..

The staircases from the parking lot and from the street to the east are steep little buggers, so if you've got difficulty with stairs or heart conditions pack some "nitro" along with that little blue pill you might be carrying. A tank of O2 wouldn't be a bad idea either. Most of you aren't bringing alot of luggage for a two night stay, if you are I suggest employing a sherpa.

There is no elevator and all rooms are second floor.

The rooms are very well appointed for the price.
I stayed in surprisingly windowless, wireless less room 120 which isn't really a problem because for "many" patrons the view out the window isn't what they're here for,and for the most part you're on a get away so Wi-Fi in the room isn't a big deal either. (since you should be paying attention to your significant other , not your communication device).

If you're righting a book or studying for a bar exam this room would be ideal.

The hotel does provide an ethernet cable for devices equipped with that plug if you need to go online in your room , and Wi FI is available in the common areas and maybe even in some rooms near the gateway devices. But by looking at the way that cord was all tangled up in one of the drawers of the desk....my suspicion is that it may have been used for other purposes. I 75's a long way away so someone may have improvised..

Another drawer contained two pair of packaged earplugs....Since I couldn't really hear the trains and truck traffic (this room is buried in the bowls of the building) it might be to shield oneself from the possible "noises" coming from the adjoining rooms. The vibrations from the trains are slight but you might feel the truck traffic vibrations if you're taking a break and the room is quiet enough....although I wasn't able to hear any external noises to any annoying extent..

The hotel upper area as a whole was quiet , but I wasn't there on the weekend so it wasn't too busy and your experience may vary.

120 is set up sort of on the contemporary side, it has an adjoining door with some other room, but because there are no windows...it gives the impression of being locked in a cell, (den like , I think it's described) so it's not for the folks out there who suffer from claustraphobia (get a different room). And it's very very very very very very dark....with the lights out...very dark.....you'll see the green led light from the smoke detector casting a circle on the floor near the door, you will see the bose radio clock, and the microwave clock...and that's it...so if you have to find your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night...IT's really really dark (darkroom dark, can't see your hand infront of your face dark) so...maybe leave a light on in the bathroom and close the door.,or shuffle to the bathroom.

The room has a Bose wave radio, a 37 inch LG flat panel tv and a pod style coffee maker, the bathroom is shower only but certainly spacious enough for two and yes the soaps are worth taking back home. The rooms have a mini fridge and micro and lots of information on Darke County's own Annie Oakley to read while someone's primping for dinner or to keep yourself otherwise occupied while sitting down someplace. But NO information on the hotel itself or the restaurant downstairs and no info typical to a hotel, places of worship or town information etc. The phone book does contain the restaurant menu. Find your fire exits now and 120 only has one way out, but it does have two sprinkler heads (and that town's got an impressive fire department for it's size).

The staff is friendly enough (the morning staff was quite nice), breakfast was mostly pastry,bagel,em,cereal, coffee, juice, no waffler and a few apples kicking about, the area where breakfast is presented downstairs has a microwave, toaster and even an electric stove. Juice and milk butter and cream cheese are in the fridge along with a large amount of styrophome carry out containers all nicely labeled. (So don't eat anyone's lunch). Cups and plates are in the cabinets. The room leading to that breakfasting room (left of the lobby) smells like a cat's been doing some business in there.. but I didn't see any cat wandering about., nor did I see any mouses..so maybe they do have a cat and a fine job it's doing only marking in one spot while keeping vermin at bay..

Versailles itself is a very small town.....so don't expect a huge amount of entertainment options ; be prepared to bring your own and come equipped for that purpose, especially if you arrive after 5 when the town and it's drug store rolls up it's sidewalks... Greenville is 20 minutes out.

They've got a small bakery closed at 2? (but popular with the locals) and a coffee shop that had almost no business,closed very early and a bar that serves breakfast had about 10 people in it at 6:30 A.M. the ice cream joint down the street a bit serves soft serve , not hard packed. Most businesses were closed on the monday I stayed either as a part of their normal course of doing business or because" The Great Darke County fair" was on in Greenville and they were presenting their wares at the fairgrounds and couldn't be in two places at once. It is a nice fair and the cattlemen sell ribeye sandwiches next to the arena showing prized steer, so you can see a before and after picture of agribusiness, one still walking ,one sizzling away in peices on a very large grill and quite tasty as a ribeye should be..

All in all this boutique hotel would certainly work for it's marketed purpose and for a business traveler just wishing to sleep it works for that too, prices are about the same as in Greenville for a similar sized room.(without hot items on the breakfast table)..but get pricier the more stylish and romantically appointed the room becomes. $89-200 givertake.

IF you have trouble with stairs? Go to Greenville and the HIexpress or the comfort inn and just keep the noise down, neither one of those present themselves as a romantic getaway and it shows.

Room Tip: No windows in 120, no wifi neither.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
huber heights oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

We were most pleased with every aspect of the Inn! Accomodations, service, decor, cleanliness and our entire experience was exceptional! We had a most enjoyable visit in every respect. We'll most definitely return!

Room Tip: Our room (#105) was incredible! Accouterments were amazing!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn At Versailles? Share your experiences!