“Six day stop over.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Vandalia/Dayton International Airport

You added Super 8 Vandalia/Dayton International Airport to your Saves list
Super 8 Vandalia/Dayton International Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   550 East National Road, Vandalia, OH 45377 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vandalia
East Syracuse, New York
“Six day stop over.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

This would be my home during the Dayton air show and visiting several museums. Check in was no problem.The front desk staff was friendly, efficent and helpful. They directed me to a nearby Wal-Mart and to the Dayton air show, which is on Wright Drive, only 10-12 minutes away.

My room was clean, comfortable bed. Mico/fridge. Can't say how often the room was cleaned, however the bed was made each day. Saw NO signs of bedbugs.

Bathroom and sink area are adequate in space. A shower/bathtub combination. Fresh towels and shampoo each day.

Seversl restaurants are walking distance. Traffic on East Nastional Drive is fast. I quickly learned to use the traffic stop button to cross END. A McDonalds is just a minute away. The Rib House was a two meal supper. Try the Boneless Spare Ribs and baked potato. A Waffle House and Arby's are no more than a ten minute walk. Keep walking to a Taco Bell and Pizza Hut. A small mall/plaza is within 6-7 minutes.

The Econo ca be easily seen from E. National Drive. To the east is I75, about 150 yards. I could hear I75 traffic, but with the tv on, not much sound.

This facility is three stories, with all doors opening to the parking lot. Plenty of parking in the front, back and on the east end.

This was my first extended stay at an Econo Lodge. I would stay again, because of the number of restaurants and location to the Dayton air show.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The Super 8, formerly an Econo Lodge, is a good choice for the budget-minded traveler. Front desk service was cordial and efficient. Room was clean and quiet despite facing Interstate 75 (very little to no road noise). Hotel is conveniently located to I-75 as well as several local restaurants and Dayton Airport. I am in the hospitality business (unrelated to this property or Super 8/Wyndham) and can unequivocally recommend this hotel to those on a limited budget looking for a comfortable, clean, and convenient place to stay in the Dayton Airport area. Incidentally, I have stayed at this property numerous times going to back to its affiliation with Cross Country Inn. Have yet to be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

This location is now a Super 8 - no longer a Econo Lodge - so that is the next level up in the Wyndham hierarchy. Got a room for only $40+ on hotels.com via ebates.com.
Okay place to crash for a night, nothing more. The toilet in our room kept running. The other guests may not be the best. The corridors are on the outside and some people were having a party on the upper floor. Next day my car had sticky orange soda all over it that fell from the corridor. McDonald's is right next to the hotel and all sorts of fast food are just to the west. Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC and a Friendly's a mile away. About a 10 minute drive down the highway to Dayton. The Hotel is right at the southwest side of the highway/Vandalia exit. Free Wifi was nice and worked in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Vandalia, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We booked and planned to stay several nights in this motel. We figured it’s nothing fancy but we only planned to shower and sleep there. Upon checking in, we noticed the shower was dirty the room had a slight odor but I cannot really describe it. The door's security chain was broken. There didn't appear to be any bugs in the room so we decided it was only a couple of nights and we would shove a chair against the door and deal with it, at least for that night. We didn't get much sleep because the beds were too soft and springy. Each time my wife or I moved we woke the other up. In addition, our backs hurt in the morning from the beds. We planned to find another motel or hotel in the morning but didn't because it was too close to check out time by the time my family was showered and ready to go. We left around 10:50 AM, and did not return until around 11:00PM. Upon entering our room, we discovered the housekeeping service never visited the room. I went to the front desk to complain, and to get fresh towels and coffee for the morning. The desk clerk told me the rooms weren't cleaned because we were booked as a weekly rental. I told him that was not the case. He then said the do-not-disturb sign was up. We I told him we removed the sign before 11:00 AM. I told him we wanted to check out then and not pay for the second night although we did not check at before 11:00 AM. He said he was sorry it was the "maids’ fault" but agreed. Then he said he would only charge us for two nights. I again told him no, only one. He then charged me for only one night (I think that was fare and give plus points for fair treatment and because the clerk was friendly throughout our discussion) Other than the fair charges following debate, the hotel is not on my list of places to stay. The showers were dirty, there was a cigarette burn in one of the bed spreads, the exterior of the building desperately needed paint. Stay at the Motel 6 and save $20 if you want a cheap and clean place to stay. They are usually better than what we experience at the Vandalia Super 8 Motel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stopped here after driving for 12 hours and simply needed a place to rest overnight before continuing on with our road trip. Since we were traveling with a small dog we needed a place that would accept pets as well. This hotel fit the bill.

The man at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, and we got a good rate thanks to a coupon in one of those rest-stop coupon books. The room itself was about as middle-of-the-road as it gets. No frills, but nothing to complain about either. Everything appeared clean, from the sheets to the towels. The bathroom could have used some re-caulking and the room was a little musty (typical of pet-friendly rooms) and smelled like disinfectant cleaner (as other reviews have stated), but was good enough for 1 night at the rate we paid.

The hotel guests seemed to be a mix of overnight travelers and vacationing families. In spite of being so close to the highway, it was fairly quiet. As quiet as it gets for a motor-court style hotel with only exterior entrances.

There was a basic breakfast of pastries, cereal, fruit and coffee in the morning and every fast food restaurant you could imagine nearby. Just like any other highway exit.

There was a small pool as well, it looked nice, but we didn't have a chance to use it.

===== ===== =====

RATING SCALE: My ratings are generally based on value vs money. Thus, sometimes a simple hotel will receive a 4 or 5, while a fancy hotel can rank a 1 or 2 if I don't feel it was worth the cost.

Also, a hotel can do everything right and still only rank as a 4, unless there's something really exceptional about it.

5 = Hotel gets everything right, and goes above and beyond.
4 = Hotel gets everything right.
3 = Hotel is acceptable value for money spent.
2 = Hotel isn't worth the money spent.
1 = Hotel should pay ME to stay there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We must have stayed just before the change from Super 8 to Econo Lodge. Hopefully the name change will bring some needed improvements. Upon entering the room we noticed an unusual odor--kind of a sweet disinfectant smell. The bedbug check came up negative, but that was about all we liked. The bathroom could have been cleaner and the carpet felt like it shouldn't be walked on with bare feet. The chair in the room was filthy, falling apart and had some nasty stains. Finally, the truck traffic on the nearby interstate is heavy and noisy. Not a good nights rest.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

If you are looking for a place to sleep before a flight, this is the place to be. Otherwise, I would not recommend this hotel. It is quite dated, the room was not very clean. Shower didn't look like it had been cleaned from prior guests.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Super 8 Vandalia/Dayton International Airport? Share your experiences!