“Great potential” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center

You added Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   444 N Summit Street, Toledo, OH 43604 (Formerly Grand Plaza Hotel Downtown Toledo)   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Toledo
Sylvania, Ohio
“Great potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed to nights here. Valet was backed up and took a few minutes for us to get service. Appeared only 1 person was working. We had block of rooms booked and it took an hour for me to get my room. Late checkouts was excuse. Staff very friendly. Great potential for this hotel.

Stayed April 2014
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Mpetersen34,
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are very excited to anounce our partnership with PSI (Parking Solutions Inc.) who is a professional valet company. They will be taking over the Valet part of our property. While we have had several recent challenges in that department, we are very excited to welcome PSI to the Grand Plaza Family!

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chesterfield, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel could be so much better than it is. I'm not sure if it's having money issues, whether there is not enough attention to detail, or both. It's funny the first review I read about when I returned home and checked this site was about poor valet service. Unfortunately that is the first impression I started with when I arrived. The worker was rude and seemed annoyed with my questions. It almost made me cancel my reservation. Looking back I wish I would have. By the way if you think you can skip the valet, there’s no getting around it. There is no parking on site, and the nearest private lot is too far to walk. The hotel was pretty much empty, yet I think I heard every single person in the hotel from my room. The lobby was very nice, and initially I thought the room looked good too. The view was great. Unfortunately as you looked around there were a lot of small things which made me not want to stay there. The curtains were missing hooks, the tub was filthy, the bathroom door would not completely shut, neither of the lights above the bed worked, and the toilet had no water pressure. The breakfast buffet was mediocre at best. I think the pancakes were from the day before. There was only one other guest eating, so I don’t know why you’d even offer a buffet. Plus it was too expensive for what you received. Long story short, this hotel has a lot of potential, but comes up short in a number of different areas.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Mr. Steven G.

Thank you for taking the time to report in such detail, your experience at the grand plaza. We totatally agree about Valet being the first and last impression each guest receives, so we have hired (starting May 5th) PSI Valet company to take over our Valet Department. This will hugely improve our first impression. You were incorrect though, as there is a parking garage accross the street that guests may use if they do not wish to valet. Valet is not the only choice. I have spoken with Chef about your critique on the buffet, and she has take your comments to heart, working to improve her food quality. As to your other issues, I have addressed the appropriate department heads to correct such obvious oversite.

I would like to personally thank you, as all comments made are taken very seriously!
Dayton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Valet is horrible, the rooms were disgusting...brown streaks on sheets, greasy handprint on headboard, dirty floors, peeling wallpaper, damaged furniture, hair in bathroom, cloudy pool...we usually stay at marriotts, thanks best western for reminding me why! Never again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ms Kim S,
I am very sorry to hear about your experience while at our hotel. Please accept my most sincere apologies. We definitey take all guests concerns to heart and strive to learn and grow from them.

Thank you for taking your time to help us improve.
Toledo, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We drove in for a wedding. When we got there, well after check in time, our room was not ready!! When we asked to speak to a manager he was rude and unprofessional. His only response was that "100s" of guests are in the same situation and that there was nothing he could do. He also could not tell us when our room would be available, if at all. We ended up canceling and staying at the holiday inn express in Oregon, oh which was actually nicer, cleaner, and very friendly staff!!

Stayed March 2014
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Jenni

Please accept my apologies for the troubles you had tring to check in to your room at the Grand Plaza Hotel, in Toledo. We had 3 seperate conventions happening at the same time, and i am sure it was extremely busy. This is no excuse for being anything less than friendly with everyone who walks up to our desk. It is through concerned guests like you that we are able to learn and grow. Please know your comments have not fallen on deaf ears, and that we will be doing more service trainings to improve our guests experience.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed last night, the Hotel was busy crazy with a convention. The staff was very helpful even with the large numbers of guests. Our room was clean but warm, not unbearable but not controllable. Had reserved 2 queens but were given a king. The location and room view were very good. Shuttle took us out but was done at 11:00, would have thought with a sell out that they may run the shuttle longer. All in all, would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Mr.Mike S.
Thank you for taking time to fill out a trip advisor on your most recent stay at our Grand Plaza Hotel in Toledo Ohio. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay! Your feed back is very valuable to us as this is the way we continue to improve!

We hope to see you again!
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I travel a lot. Mostly for business. I loved this hotel and will book again for sure! Dre at the front desk was very kind in making my reservation. The ease of booking was great! He actually had me looking forward to stay at the hotel. The building is just off of the river. Beautiful view. When I checked in, the front desk agent was once again welcoming. The room was clean which is important to me. I stayed for one night. It was one of the best sleeps I have had in a while. Very quite and comfortable. The next morning, the service from the restaurant was quick and outstanding. My food was delicious also. The service plus the great night's sleep made me a happy guest! I will return again very soon.

Room Tip: Call into the hotel to book. You will get great service!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Mr. William
Thank you very much for the very wonderful words of encouragement. My staff definitly enjoyed seeing your survey. We strive to give every guest the best experience possible! Thank you for sharing yours with us, and Trip Advisor!

Mr. William, if you are ever back in the Toledo area again, we would love to have you back here at the Grand Plaza Hotel.
Clyde, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Checked in by a lady...Vernanna? Was obviously talking on the phone to a friend, I had to wait for her to finish up the giddy conversation before I could check in. Valet was slow and watched me struggle to unload my baggage. Room was very clean to my surprise after reading some reviews, view was nice. Restaurant was closed for lunch, that sucked. I could smell some type of rotting food near the ice machine that did not work on my floor. I went to another floor where it didn't work also. A nice young lady Amanda offered to bring me ice back to my room and was back 30secs after me!!! Talk about speedy service!! I might stay again, I just hope my first impression would be better!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Sara L,
Thank you for taking time to evaluate us on trip advisor. It is through concerned guests giving us feedback that we are able to continue to improve our guests experience. All employees mentioned have be appropriately recognized. we have been on the look out for the foul and mysterious odor you mentioned, but as of yet, we have been unable to find.

Thank you for choosing us to be your home away from home while in Toledo, and we would love to take care of you on your next trip through Toledo.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toledo
Park Inn Toledo
Hampton Inn and Suites Toledo-North
Radisson at The University of Toledo
Fairfield Inn & Suites Toledo North
Holiday Inn Express Toledo North

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!