“GLA Convention at the Plaza” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   444 N Summit Street, Toledo, OH 43604 (Formerly Grand Plaza Hotel Downtown Toledo)   |
Ranked #11 of 16 hotels in Toledo
Toledo
“GLA Convention at the Plaza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The folks at the Grand Plaza got me through a major milestone in my life. With their constant help, I pulled off a wonderful convention. They had my back every step of the way. For months, Stacy and Tracy led me through the process of setting up my event. They were kind enough to calmly answer the same questions, over and over. We were given a great room rate and a great price for the ballroom. The day of the event, the ballroom was set up perfectly! Everyday, the ballroom was cleaned and the water station was replenished. On Saturday night, the ballroom was transformed for our dinner dance, quickly and professionally. Dinner came out smoothly. I got a lot of positive feedback about the food. The men and women taking care of the ballroom were exceptionally kind and considerate and professional. The folks behind the desk put up with me all weekend and always smiled and kept their cool. How? I'm not sure. I love them all! The parking was a problem but the men working the valet service were considerate and hard-working. I wish the restaurant offered sandwiches which could be eaten there. You had to order sandwiches through room service, but I would come back for my next convention.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GabbyBatonRouge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Janie: THANK YOU SO MUCH for choosing to work with our team, for supporting the hard working staff at our hotel and for allowing us to be a part of your wonderful convention. We strive to make a positive difference on all levels when interacting with our guests. We are so pleased you were satisfied. We cannot wait to rebook and do it again~ We will see you soon.

Best in Hospitality,
Your BWP Grand Plaza Hotel Team

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We attended a Reunion party on Saturday, Aug 17, 2013. We were offered valet parking - but it was full when we showed up 2 hours before the event was due to start.

People checking in for the night waited 1 1/2 hours to check in because the rooms weren't clean by 5pm; then the system went down and key cards could not be made so security had to escort people to the rooms where they could leave but not return without security once again escorting them back.

Down in the banquet room, there wasn't enough seating for the entire party and most of the food (which was on the level of GFS type frozen snacks) was luke-warm. Less than half of the people had been served when the pans were almost empty and it took 15+ minutes for refills to appear. The large shrimp bowl was empty at that time and never refilled. Cheese and crackers table had no crackers for half of the service.

Complaints to the staff resulted in excuses "We can't add any more tables" and "I'll have to get someone to refill the buffet" because no staff members (beside bartenders) could be found easily. A huge disappointment. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GabbyBatonRouge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear valued guest: We thank you for all the feedback regarding your high school event this past weekend. We offer valet paring and nearby parking via your event coordinators on a first come first serve basis (as we do have limited inventory.) We rely on the coordinators to communicate this on our behalf. We worked diligently with the coordinators on the specifics of food selection, serving and replenishment in order to meet a particular budget in hopes that this will meet every attendee's expectation. Thank you for sharing your experience so that we may better anticipate needs and likes for future groups.

Safe Travels,
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The staff had no clue which rooms were vacant, so I waited 23 minutes for them to sort it out. Then my room had a filthy bathroom and no towels. Camping in the alley would have been a more convenient & sanitary alternative.

Room Tip: Do not choose these rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

3.5 Stars mostly for staff (which could have changed since this is an old review)

I stayed at this hotel for two nights last November. I totally forgot to write a review, so here it is (better late than never?). I was in town for a wedding, never been to Toledo before. After reading all of the reviews here I decided to email ahead and ask for a corner room. I got in touch with the manager at the time, I think her name was Mandy but it's been so long I don't remember, and asked. She said she would do what she could. When I checked in the front desk staff was really, really friendly and were able to check me into a corner room which I had requested. I had a nice view of a not-so-nice looking river (not the hotels fault! Ha!) and a large kind bed. It was clean and large, but honestly could use a little updating. Several friends had rooms in this hotel so I saw about 5 rooms and none were as nice or large as the corner room. While I was there my phone and charger decided to stop working properly. The manager even let me use her charger to charge my phone several times (hers worked amazingly) and that was going over and beyond in my opinion. All the staff there down to the valet were really great. Also they had a driver there that took some of us to the casino, which was really nice because we were not in any condition to drive ;). All in all good hotel, but great staff made this a terrific stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room! They are MUCH larger and nicer.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GabbyBatonRouge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you so kindly for your review. Better late than never we say! Please do not wait to return until November this year. We welcome the visit any time.

Safe Travels
Orchard Park, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

OMG, this hotel is not only gross, quality wise. But, the customer service/ hospitality is sub par. Oh, they are very polite- dont get me wrong... but, if you need to get something done, forget it.
This hotel charged my sons debit card in error, they had my husband CC on file. To not bore you with my pain, I have spent 6 mornings on the phone with the people at this hotel and my bank trying to reverse a debit charge. No one can make an executive decision here!!! I have never seen a more inept management group...ever! I worked in the pharmacuetical business for 20 years and have stayed at plenty of hotels! These people either just dont "CARE" or they are too stupid to know any better! Still waiting for my refund and an apology! Wende Marracino

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ms. M:

We are so sorry for the confusion your mentioned in your review. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback so that we can work with our team to provide the very best in service EVERY time. I understand that our team has reached out and this mix-up has been resolved at the time of this response. We hope that you will give us a second chance. Your opinion matters greatly and we ask that you do let us know in advance of your return to the area so we may triple check all is correct.

Best travels to you and your family,
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Back for a two night stay - our second this year. The location is great. Nice views of the Maumee River and easy access to downtown, I-75, etc. Staff are pleasant and friendly. Room service breakfast was good and delivered on time.

Valet operation was very efficient and friendly. I inadvertently left my iPad in my car when returning to the hotel after dinner one night. By the time I figured it out, my car had been returned to the garage. I asked the valet attendant if they could retrieve the iPad, he took my room number and 15 minutes later he knocked on my door with the iPad apologizing for taking so long! That was unexpected and great service.

Now, for the rest of the story. After arriving, we checked in and headed to our room only to find it reeking of smoke. Surprising since I understand this to be a no smoking hotel and we had been required to agree to pay a big fine if we decided to smoke in the room. We were fairly quickly moved to another room on the same floor.

Going back and forth between the rooms and the lobby gave me my first taste of the elevators. I will simply say that they are horrible. They require a room key to operate but the keys don't work all the time. The elevators are slow and clunky and often don't stop on designated floors. They are in serious need of a tune up.

The in room wireless is bad. When it works, it is slow and unreliable. When it doesn't work, well it doesn't work and that's not acceptable. I mentioned this to the lady at the front desk this morning. She didn't seem surprised and started trying to convince me that it is my computer. I told her that my computer traveled extensively without wireless issues so I doubted that was the case. She said she'd send somebody up to the room to check it out. In fairness, the wireless worked better after that but we're talking about improvement from horrible to marginal.

Soda machines and ice machines missing on some floors and not working on others. As a result of that and the elevator challenges, ffnding a soda this morning was a bit more of a challenge than one might expect.

Bathrooms are cramped and dingy due to poor lighting. There is an exhaust fan but now switch to activate it.

When I return to Toledo I might stay here again due to the lack of choices. I do hope though that some of these areas are improved between now and then.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GabbyBatonRouge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: Sounds like we started off earning your business and slipped as your stay went on. We truly desire to make each guest visit the very best it can be and take your comments seriously. We will use this information when coaching our staff and making property evaluations. We do hope you will return and see for yourself the improvements being made along the way.
Safe Travels,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late fri night, after driving a couple hrs unable to find a vacant room. Valets were handling a leaving wedding party besides incoming guests and were fast and efficient. We got two adjoining rooms on the 11th floor that looked like they had been recently updated with great views of the river and downtown area. The rooms were mostly clean... Got water in the coffee mugs provided and some kind of scum was floating in it. The bathroom looked like it hadnt been cleaned after the last resident, only set up. There was smudges on the small facial mirror and decorative one in the hallway. There was trash on the bathroom floor from last guest. Beds were comfortable. Went to the buffet breakfast which provided a wide variety to choose from. Service was ok, but $11 seemed steep for the buffet. Shuttle to take us to our truck was slow for a sat morning, and since we had things in the back of the truck, didnt like that parking was in a lot blocks away from the supervised hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
DOSToledo, Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Love2travelx7,

Thank you for your review and please accept our apologies for the unsatisfactory accommodations you experienced during your recent visit to Toledo. It is our intention to provide a superior atmosphere for our guests and it is clear we let you down. Your comments have been shared with our Executive Housekeeper to review our cleanliness standards with the housekeeping staff. Our parking services were hindered during your stay due to street closures issued by the City of Toledo and also apologize for the delay in our shuttle transporting you to your truck. We hope that when you return to the Toledo area you will choose the Best Western Premier Grand Plaza so that we deliver on our promise to exceed your expectations!

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!