“Not impressed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   444 N Summit Street, Toledo, OH 43604 (Formerly Grand Plaza Hotel Downtown Toledo)   |
Ranked #12 of 16 hotels in Toledo
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed two nights at this hotel and was not impressed. The quality of the rooms was poor to average at best. The gym is tiny--don't let the pictures fool you. The restaurant downstairs is unimpressive. I went down for breakfast one morning, and it was obvious the breakfast buffet had been sitting for hours. The front desk staff was not helpful with taxi service either. I called and requested a taxi for 8:30 am so I could be at the airport by 9. When I went down at 8:30, the taxi had not even been called. Good thing I allowed additional time! I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DOSToledo, Director of Programs at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay here. As a Premier Brand we want to deliver the best possible experience for you. We appreciate your comments and will use them to ensure these issues never happen again. Please give me a call directly if you would like to discuss this further. 1-429-255-6185. We value your opinion and want to ensure your next stay with us is pleasant one.

Thank You.

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Cannot even begin to explain how bad it was...everything was terrible. Never again!! The worse service my business partners and I have ever experienced. Poor excuse for a hotel, we would have rather stayed at a ref roof inn. Absolutely disgusting in every aspect of our stay!!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Mary,

I apologize for your unpleasant stay. I am regretful that our hotel did not meet your expectations and can ensure that whatever problems you had we will fix. Please give me a call directly at 419-255-6185 to discuss this matter.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed two nights while I was checking out some apartments in the neighborhood. Room was clean, spacious, temperature was perfect, great view of the river. Downtown has some good bars with good live music in the neighborhood. Valet parking is $16 a day, kind of lame that there isn't any free self-parking, but whatever. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your gracious comment regarding your recent stay at our property.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the fact that you will love to come back again.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a positive review regarding our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I spent two months making frequent business trips to Toledo with colleagues and our first choice was the Grand Plaza, which used to be a Crown Plaza, but now is a Best Western. I've stayed here when it was a crown plaza, they had a very nice executive suite on the top floor.

The first week we arrived, they lost our booking. We just weren't there, according to their system, and there was nothing they could do because of the concert in town, they were booked. So OK I should have maybe confirmed earlier, but not only that, the front desk staff was impolite about it and short of courteous or helpful considering our situation. We found another hotel.

The Next visit, the following weekend, no concert in town, the hotel is dead. No valet in sight, waited for the front desk. We checked in, the beds were old and uncomfortable and the window leaked. There were obvious signs they are having trouble keeping up with the hotel at it's age and size. The following morning was the kicker. We woke up to a broken shower; the drain was broken. If the housekeeping staff properly cleaned the tub basin, they should have noticed that and flagged the room. I called down to front desk and explained the situation and was actually rudely asked what he wanted me to do about it... I said get me a room with a working shower... and they checked me into a FILTHY tub covered in PUBIC HAIR. I went to the front desk, showed him the photos and reiterated their policy of refund if unsatisfied. At this point I was late and had to go to a meeting for a new business I had just acquired without showering because this hotel could not accommodate me and my colleague, and they denied their policy which was placed right in the bathroom on a card, and the only thing the offered was complementary valet and breakfast. The General Manager came up and asked the desk agent what the problem was and he told him "Oh, it's Nothing." We refused the breakfast and left immediately to the Holiday Inn where I have and will continue to stay when I go to Toledo for Business.

I will NEVER take my business to this hotel, Best Western should be notified of their incompetence, an also anyone else thinking to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
McLean, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

It is an average hotel. Pretty dated. Decent location on the riverfront, in downtown. Good TV, ok access to power. The restaurant has a breakfast buffet with an omlette chef, oatmeal, bacon, fruit and cereal. Staff is friendly. Nothing really bad, nothing particularly outstanding.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for a concert at the Huntington Center and did not have any of the problems as mentioned in other reviews. The valets were courteous and prompt (although the front entrance was usually chaotic and jam-packed with calls all weekend) and the rooms were fine, just nothing spectacular. The front desk personnel were pleasant and our check-in/checkout were without incident. I saw the reviews before I stayed here and tried to keep a lookout for potential issues, but did not run into any. I did find all of the prices/rates from the other reviews to be accurate...so if you're worried about cost per night, coffee prices, or valet/parking rates, then you may want to stay somewhere else, otherwise, it was a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel is in a good setting and looks great from outside. The rooms are outdated and need work. Peeling paint in some rooms, and counter tops were chipped.
Hotel services do not measure up - clerks do not know correct information and you almost always have to call twice in order to confirm details.

Room Tip: try for river view