“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center

You added Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   444 N Summit Street, Toledo, OH 43604 (Formerly Grand Plaza Hotel Downtown Toledo)   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Toledo
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel as part of a large conference in February. Initially I was frustrated with my telephone reservation experience and the delayed check in process. The front desk clerk was apathetic And slow. However, once those barriers were broken, I was quite pleased with the size, cleanliness, and comfort of the rooms. I also took advantage of the bar and swimming pool--both of which were good experiences, although the pool is on the small size. The hotel also needs to update the interior signage. It advertises a Starbucks but they do not serve Starbucks. I did enjoy the breakfast Buffett in the restaurant. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at the hotel this past weekend. Saturday night and the hotel was pretty well booked. The room was fine, the staff was very nice, especially the bartendar Sarah and the Valet Patrick. They went out of their way to accomodate us. We stayed at the hotel because they offered a shuttle and since we knew we would be drinking we didnt want to drive. Well we were informed that the owner took the large shuttle for his personal use to the Detroit Metro airport to catch a flight. The other shuttle was being used by the hotels housekeeping, thus leaving customers with no shuttle service. How do you care so little about your paying customers that you selfishly take up a shuttle for most of the day and late into the afternoon. We were not happy at all since we had already had a drink at the bar, that wasnt even open at 1:30pm, but the nice wait staff opened just for us. If this owner cares that little about his paying customers then I'm sure he treats his employees even worse. No need to return to this Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oregon, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

At one time this hotel was the best hotel Toledo had to offer. Our stay there a few years ago was excellent. We stayed there Feb. 1 2013 and it was not a good experience. Money was taken out of our account twice and the second charge was higher because of a damage and theft holder. We were never asked by anyone to help us with our luggage and when I asked for a cart I was told they were all in use. We used there shuttle service to get to a wedding downtown but when we called to be picked up, it never showed up. There was urine on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet and we couldn't fine bath towels to use the next morning. We had to call house keeping to get some. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Find another Hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mentor, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family and I arrived on Saturday February 2 to see our son in Chorus Line which was playing at the wonderful Valentine Theater. Upon arriving at the hotel it was madness to check in. Only two people working and at least 7 to 12 people checking in. Valet was very poor. Never received our overnight bags. The list can go on and on. PEOPLE let's reflect on SERVICE, INTEGRITY and most of all being the best we can be to service others in the most PROFESSIONAL MANNER.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to Toledo for my BFs birthday. We wanted to see the new Hollywood casino. This hotel was very nice. The rooms were a great price, $100 for a Saturday night. They were big enough and clean. The beds were comfortable. The bar downstairs was great for a quick drink prior to heading out. We didn't go to the pool but we looked at it, small but clean. They offer a shuttle to the casino every hour (it was running behind though). My only complaint is that parking is valet only, I just find it odd for a hotel not to have a lot or a garage.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The rooms were clean, the beds were comfy and the views were pretty nice.

and it had valet to the casino. It also had a dining room, nothing to fancy, but no one complained out of 30 friends and family that were there.

Everyone was friendly and courteous.

My only complaint was the Valet (who were very courteous and friendly) tried but still need to take control over the situation. We had a large group, we called the valet waited 30- 45 minutes for them at the casino and other people jumped into our seats leaving half our group waiting for another 45 minutes. We called the valet and advised them of our group of 12 - 15
people. I think they should have held up a sign or asked other people if they were with our group and made them wait to see if there was room for the additional people.

The dining room was pretty simple and had a buffett and choices from the menu. Both were satisfing for our needs. It was not HI-end however it was good, we had no real complaints.

Room Tip: Lower floors for less elevator wait. :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Staff was completely disinterested in offering any type of assistance. My biggest mistake was ordering room service. I knew it would probably be less than stellar, but it was January in Northwest Ohio and I wasn't in the mood for venturing out. The food was comically bad. I don't even know where one would find the chicken wings they served, they were so small that Smurf's could eat them, not to mention burned to a crisp. I called the front desk to ask where the ice machine was, they had no idea. The staff seemed like they were almost trying not to care on purpose. The hotel " store" at the front desk had one pack of M&M's for sale and some band aids . As a business travel who just had Toledo added to his territory and who travels quite frequently, I am shocked at the poor excuse for hospitality this hotel shows. It looks like it might have been nice 20 years ago, but now looks like a place were prosperity and hospitality have gone to die. Had I spent my own money to stay in this place, I would be upset. Word of advice, if your going to be open, and really one of a small number of options to stay in downtown Toledo, at least pretend to care. Worst hotel in my professional career

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!