“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center

You added Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   444 N Summit Street, Toledo, OH 43604 (Formerly Grand Plaza Hotel Downtown Toledo)   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Toledo
Ohio
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hotel has an amazing location--great views of the river, close to resturaunts and entertainment (walking distance), and only minutes from other local attractions. The room I stayed in was pretty decent. I did notice some things weren't as clean as I would have preferred (the chair in the room, the window, and the throw pillows on the bed). The room also only had a shower instead of an actual bath tub with shower, which I was not aware of when I booked a room there. The shower did have a built-in shower seat, but I didn't want to use that. I ended up just not using the shower there since I only stayed one night. The front desk staff gave average service-they weren't incredibly friendly, but they weren't rude either. The valet staff were great. I left and returned to the hotel many times during my stay, and never had to wait long for my car and while I was waiting, the staff at the desk made conversation with me and were very friendly. I made small talk with 3 out of the 4 valet staff I saw there, and each were very nice, asking me where I was from, how my visit was going so far, plus they made some great suggestions of places to visit for entertainment, and told me how to get to some local resturaunts. I had breakfast the morning of my departure, and it was great. I got a lot of food for the price, it was fresh and hot, and the meal came at the time I requested it be delivered. I would come back to this hotel on a future visit. There is very little that I was disappointed by.

Room Tip: There are rooms that face the river--those have excellent views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We went to Toledo for a Mud Hens game and went to a different hotel but was disgusted by it so we were refunded money and went here. Once we got here the staff was friendly and lobby was clean as can be. We got up to our room and it was very clean along with complementary water. There pool was a little small but we were fine with it. This was also perfect for the game cause it was walking distance to Fifth Third Field. Overall a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding this past weekend and while the accommodations were average, the customer service was really good. You can tell that the staff works really hard. There was always someone cleaning or straightening up somewhere and they were very helpful. A few things: There wasn't really any information anywhere. For example, in the room, there is no little book about the hotel that tells you about the restaurant and bar that are in the hotel. In fact, if someone in our party hadn't asked us to meet them there, I wouldn't have known. We also weren't told the check out time, so I had to call down the morning we were leaving. We couldn't find any information about how to access the Wi-fi. The remote didn't work. These things were answered or corrected by the staff quickly which was great, but most of those things I shouldn't have to look for. The room is nice and clean with a good sized bathroom. The weekend we were there happened to be the hottest weekend of the year so there were some issues with the AC not being quite as efficient but the staff said they were aware and working on the problem. By the time we got home from the wedding, it was much cooler in all of our rooms. THe biggest issue I had, was that I booked our room back in the winter and was told on two separate occasions that there would be a mini-fridge in our room. This was great for me because I am a nursing mother and was going to be away from my baby and needed a place to store my pumped milk. When I arrived, there was no mini fridge. I called down and spoke with James who at first told me there were no fridges in any of the rooms and he didn't have any available. I explained the situation and that if there couldn't be a fridge we may have to change hotels and he managed to scrounge one up and had it brought to our room within minutes. Thanks James, that saved us a lot of stress! I would consider staying there again if I'm ever back in Toledo because of the staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I recently stayed at the Grand Plaza Toledo.

My room was a corner king room with a great view of the Maumee River & downtown Toledo.

The hotel staff was friendly and courteous.

The hotel is next door to the Imagination Station and within easy walking distance of 5/3 Field & a lot of great downtown destinations.

Room Tip: Corner Kings, are the way to go. There are floor to ceiling windows facing the east & a wall of...
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed a few times at the Grand Plaza Hotel in Toledo - nice place to stay. Accommodating and kind staff in my experiences. Would stay again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

OK,

Referring to the lady from Cincinnati two reviews below me. I have stayed here over the past 3-4 weeks on business, staying several nights each time.

Yes, the security elevator is a bit of a pain, you must insert your room key to get the elevator to work, but really now, trapped? Isn't that a little harsh?

No place to eat? What about the restaurant downstairs?

There has to be 20 restaurants within 2-3 miles of the hotel. Did you not notice the baseball stadium 3 blocks away? It's surrounded by pubs, restaurants, etc. There are several restaurants right on the main street the hotel is located on, Summitt. What about Georgio's, a white linen dining experience no more than 3 blocks from the hotel, very walkable. Tony Packos Cafe, the famous restaurant from MASH, was a short trip over the bridge. Did you bother to ask anyone?

An hour to find breakfast? In an hour you would have been a good part of the way back to Cincinnati. As noted, there is a breakfast buffett in a dining room that overlooks the river and two breakfast/lunch delis right across the street from the hotel, Foccacia's and Mo Joes. Fifteen minutes by car is Perrysburg or Maumee, a ton of great restaurants and walkable, historic downtowns.

Toledo hasn't been as fortunate as some cities have been economically, they relied on industry which is just starting to come back. There are some rough edges to be sure, not every city is as pretty as Cincinnati's downtown is. That said, if everywhere I went was exactly the same, things would be pretty boring.

The hotel will be re-badged shortly, turning into a Sheraton I was told. Things should pick up some. Yes, some of the front desk people were pleasant, one was a jerk. This could happen anywhere.

If you flame people on TripAdvisor that's OK. Maybe you should use TripAdvisor to check out the places you are going to first. It could have prevented a miserable weekend for you and I'm certain, your husband also.

Room Tip: Try a corner room high in the hotel. Tall glass windows give a great view.
Findlay, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

There are lots of goods and a few beds with this downtown hotel that overlooks the river and has fairly elegant facilities. Certainly one of the most positive things was the service attitude of everybody from the front desk to the banquet staff.
The rooms are generally well appointed, clean, and promptly made up but – – the architect must've been a very short individual because the bathroom counter would force even a petite lady to bend over in order to use it. The Rooms are nice but they are certainly small.
Two negatives that stand out. One is the security system on the elevator which requires the insertion of the key card to select any floor. That may be fine from the lobby up but it certainly is a pain when navigating floors within the hotel. Another real negative is the parking situation. It is hotel staff only parking and it takes about 20 to 30 min. to retrieve your car even on a non-busy day.

The truly need to evaluate their security system and determine whether the elevator needs to be quite so secure. They need to find a way to parked cars any convenient nearby garage and to offer alternatives.
Their food service is limited at the very best. Breakfast is a buffet and dinner struggles unfortunately there's very little in the way of food service alternatives in this downtown area the you can shuttle over to the brand-new casino.

Room Tip: The North facing higher numbered room's tend to look out on the Plaza and the fifth third bank b...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!