“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Toledo
EASTPOINTE, MI
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

We have been going to a yearly tournament in Toledo for the past 6 years and have stayed at the Clarion Westgate always. Not any longer. I booked my block of rooms back in September of 2005, with a contract to boot. As the date approached, I contacted the hotel just to double check on my confirmation numbers, as I always do. They had everything messed up. People booked for 2 nights when they were only for 1, smoking in non-smoking. I was assured the rooms would be as requested upon check-in. That was not the case. There were too many problems to list. The following weekend, a friend of ours was going to the same tournament, staying at the same hotel. I told him of our experience and that we wouldn't be staying there again. That prompted him to call the hotel to inquire on his block of rooms. The hotel's computer "lost" his entire list. No rooms for his people and he was told the hotel was booked and there was nothing they could do for them. He had to then find a hotel in the area that would accomodate his block of rooms at the last minute.
When returning to Toledo, the Clarion Westgate won't be on our list of places to stay ever again.

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Metro Detroit, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

I recently stayed in a Junior Suite at the Clarion and it was acceptable. The room was neat and clean. The only concern was the bathroom. The fixtures are not sized correctly. I am a short person (5' 2") but the sink was was to low, I had to bend over really low just to wash my hands. The hook behind the door was way to high and the toliet sat really low. There was also one step to get into bathroom. If you didn't look down before walking in the bathroom, you will trip.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

Upon arrival to this hotel, I had o wait 30 minutes in line to check in. Second, upon checking in I found out that management (Nick..as the hotel desk person informed me) had changed my room from a non smoking two double beds to a smoking king room! The manager informed his agents that room reservations were only requests. When you have 2 kids and a wife with you, and one child allergic to cigarette smoke, a king size bed smoking room just does not cut it. After pleading with the desk agent, I got put in a 2 bed non smoking room...of which the air conditioning was controlled by the house, not by the thermostat in the room. Upon asking for a discount they took 10 percent off my bill...yippie! I will never recommend staying here...hotel rooms are run down, management was not friendly, and did not compensate for all of the troubles my family and I had! I storngly caution you if you are thinking of staying at this half-star motel.

• Stayed May 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

Our stay was on July 1st - 2nd 2005.
Simply dredful & awful is the only way to describe my stay here, and that was before we went to bed. And it got worse! First the room smelled very musty, it was on the inside part of the hotel and was at the opposite end of the pool. The pool does not have a good filtration system. I was swimming in hair the entire time. The jacuzzi tub barley bubbles and was so full of chlorine that I'm still smelling it 2 days later. We got back to the room when my youngest steps on something on the carpet. It was a peice of metal. As I'm taking that out of his foot I realize that the cleaning crew really didnt vacuum very well if at all. He now wants to lay down, so I pull back the covers only to find the pillow is coverd in black grease or dirt. I immediately called to the front desk and they wanted me to bring the pillow down instead of coming to the room. When I came back I got to witness my oldest son fish a dirty glass out from under the bed, who knows how long thats been there?? At this point they offered to let us move but we were unpacked so she gave us 1/2 off. That night I realized the air conditioner didnt work either. When I woke up and took a shower I found a 5 inch SMEAR OF BLOOD on the shower curtin rod and what appeared to be BLOOD on the UNDERSIDE OF THE TOILET SEAT. I'm a married man and it doest take a genius to know what that was. When I checked out I requested that a manager view the room and note my account as I would be complaining to Corporate HQ. The "Acting Manager" seemed put out and felt that I should feel lucky to be receiving 1/2 off my rate. Remember, I got 1/2 off my rate before the air conditioner issue or the blood situations. They should be paying me to have to stay their for one night.
**If you are looking for a room in Toledo, consider a Homeless shelter before staying at the Clarion Hotel Westgate!!!

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

I went here with my family and at first sight i thought it might be okay. We went swimming in the pool and it was very cloudy. When i woke up the morning after there were small bits of food in my bed. Ewwwww...

Stayed June 2005
Akron, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

I stayed at this hotel with my four children on a mini-trip to Toledo. The staff were friendly, but the accomodations were average. My son found bread crumbs in his sheets, and the bathroom abd room were rather tattered looking. Also, I was told thre would be a breakfast buffet where kids eat free, and instead, had to order expensive breaksfasts off the menu. It wasn't the worst place...but I'd probably pay a few bucks more for a nicer place next time.

• Stayed June 2005
Kauai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2004

I agree with the previous reviewer. Nice lobby but Motel 6 rooms, at best. We had to switch rooms because of the unbelievably bad odor in the first. The next room was better, but still not very clean and with a broken thermostat, lousy beds and terrible weater pressure. The desk staff were nice and helpful enough but the facility itself is pretty cut-rate, especially for the price you pay.

Been to Ramada Toledo Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!