“comfortable and low price” 4 of 5 stars

Classic Inn
1821 East Manhattan Boulevard, Toledo, OH 43608   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Toledo
New York City, New York
“comfortable and low price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was my second trip to Toledo, my first trip I stayed in another hotel and end up paying more at the check out time beside they were not close to downtown Toledo.
This hotel was right off the freeway and is a big hotel, the rooms are big and comfortable, and closer to downtown. The front desk staff are very friendly and assisted me in directing where to go for fast food! The hotel has a narrow entrance but as you go inside it is big !
I paid for my 1-bed about $42 including tax. I was told by my other friends about Toledo Hotels charging extras, none at this hotel ! I was surprised !
My room was clean and I checked the mattress and it was clean and soft and it look new. watched TV. plus they have good security. Will stay again here.

T

Room Tip: self serve hotel without spending extra money !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

This place needs to be shut down! !! Very unsafe area! &u if the 100 dirty old mattresses stacked at the back of the building (that have been there 4 yrs) doesn't deter u from this place maybe the drug dealers on the corner will & the gunshots!

• Stayed July 2011
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Rooms are clean, close to freeway, had tv, fridge and microwave, and lots of close by restaurants. I'd stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

when I first came to the hotel the front entrance does not look that great! However once I went to my room it was not bad and was clean ! I paid about $42 for 1 bed; The hotel rooms are separate from the lobby. No charge for parking. The building is on an electronic entry system. The room was bigger for the price. The bed was soft. Watch a couple of movies on TV. Very quiet.
Beside I like that it was close to the freeway. By the way to my surprise but there was a wireless internet connection in the room and was able to use my laptop.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I'm not sure how to put into words my experience at this particular establishment. I'm awestruck at how a place so seemingly unethical and more importantly (because it is a hotel) unlivable stays in business. More over, I'm stunned that tripadvisor or anyone else for that matter, could say that this hotel was at all a positive place to spend a night.
The lobby is constantly locked and filled with what looks like construction debris, the manager sits behind two-inch thick bullet proof glass, and the neighborhood looks like something straight out of a film reel, depicting the worst shelled out locations during the holocaust. I'm not exaggerating at all.
I did not stay the night after taking one look at my room. I'm not sure what made me turn around faster, maybe it was the mold covered bathroom, the dirty sheets, the smell of human fecal matter or maybe it was the actual presence of what appeared to be fecal matter on the walls.
The management are completely unreasonable and totally unprofessional. The whole operation struck me as being pretty shady.
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Unless you're into terrible service and sub par hygiene.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
classicinn, Mgr at Classic Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
Sir,
The truth of the matter is that refused and lied that you will provide your ID and were refused service as a result. At about 2am I had to deal with your phone harassment that you neglict to mentioned. And now you have started your harassment using all this online venue! Your story keep on changing from one lie to another, all because you DID NOT wanted to provide proper ID. You even lied to another company's supervisor who was trying to help you !

We take pride in servinig our customers and
All guest are required to have proper ID upon check-in. Please you have to follow Ohio Laws. I presume you used to going to motels that do not ask for ID!
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

I chose this hotel because it was ranked #3 in Toledo on Trip Advisor. After staying there, I have to say it doesn’t deserve that ranking. Let me just say, I knew that it was inexpensive and I expected some wear and tear for that price. All I wanted was clean and safe.

The first thing I noticed was that the left side of the building had what appeared to have formerly been windows boarded up with plywood. There was also a lot of peeling paint. Then I noticed the prominent signs stating, "NO REFUNDS." Still, I thought, this got good reviews on TA. We couldn't get into the lobby from the entryway. I thought perhaps they'd converted it into a storage room, because inside the small lobby there were 3 foot high stacks of boxes of toilet paper and other supplies. (Once I realized it wasn't a storage room, I thought that maybe they'd just received a delivery, but it was still there when we checked out.) They had a security window where you had to ring to be buzzed in. Late at night this makes sense, but I'd never been to a hotel where you couldn't get to the front desk in the middle of the day without being buzzed in. This concerned me a bit, so we inquired about the safety of the neighborhood. He responded that there were multiple locks on the room doors.

I mentioned that I'd seen on the map that we were a couple of blocks from the water and there was a park there. He said there was and we could go there but he didn't think we should walk around. As you can imagine, that was troubling. He was very helpful and gave us directions to nearby restaurants and grocery stores which we appreciated.

On the plus side, the room itself was a good size. It's definitely an older hotel so the bathroom was worn, but the bedspreads and prints on the walls were pleasant. There were silk flowers and a newer TV.

We had a pool view. It has seen better days. The water was black and empty pool chemical jugs were strewn about beside a collapsed metal shelter frame.

The vending machine was completely empty except for a security camera in the middle of it aimed down the hall.

The hotel was definitely quiet. I only saw about 5 cars in the parking lot (one of which was a police car) despite the hotel being several floors and 4 wings surrounding the courtyard. I looked at the hotel floor plan on the back of the door, and I think the boarded up sections were the game room/restaurant/kitchen, etc. so if you see those listed on hotel sites as amenities, they don't appear to exist anymore. I also didn't see a continental breakfast, and since the lobby was locked anyway, I'm not sure they still serve one. (You can check though.)

Also, realize that they charge more for 2 double beds and tax is around 16%. (The next night we ended up paying less than the final total we paid here for a very pleasant hotel with a continental breakfast across the street from Lake Erie in a town about a half hour away.)

If you decide to book there, at least don't prepay your booking online so that you can change your mind if it’s not what you expected. I'm pretty sure they'd have room for you if you just show up!

• Liked — Plenty of space for a regular hotel room, TV was nice, well-heated, staff was helpful
  • Disliked — Area didn't feel safe, the hotel/grounds needed a lot of work
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
classicinn, Mgr at Classic Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
We do our best to serve our customer.

While your argument that 2-bed should be same as 1-bed; that not true. The 2-bed are bigger room in our hotel requiring more costs for us.

You NICELY mentioned that you LIKED — -------Plenty of space for a regular hotel room (your room was big), TV was nice, well-heated, staff was helpful.

I am sorry you COULD NOT get ANY other Toledo Hotels that could satisfy you therefore you had to go 30 MILES AWAY to get your satisfaction motel.

We do not offer Restaurant service; however there are many in the surrounding neighborhoods including 1/2 mile away 24hours McDonalds/ Wendys.

And we do not operate the pool during winter since it is outdoor.

We look forward in serving you again.
Ashland, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

We stayed two nights at the Classic Inn in Toledo. The reason I chose this hotel--and I can be a bit of a hotel snob--is we were looking for cheap and clean. Could care less about amenities, literally just looking for a place to sleep that was convenient to the highway, clean and inexpensive. For this, the Classic was perfect. First, I will admit that we were the ONLY people in the entire hotel for both nights stay...which was a little "Shining" for us, but hey...it was quiet! We were going from Cleveland to Detroit on Sunday and Monday night so I was looking for something midway between the two. We left Cleveland and took I-280 North in Toledo and the Classic was directly off the exit, near the 75 N interchange. So we did not have to veer off path. It was late Sunday night, so check in was performed through a window in the front. This is a very old hotel, so it is not kept up well regarding the aesthetics...wallpaper peeling, paint chipping, etc...but it was clean. We had room 113 and again, it wasn't a beautiful room, but it smelled fine and appeared to be clean. The double bed was surprisingly comfortable as were the pillows. I actually take my own pillow and small thermal blanket to hotels like this, so it does make it a bit more tolerable in the event I am worried about cleanliness. The bathroom was clean, towels were clean and white, tub was clean, good water pressure, toilet clean. No hair dryer in the room, so be sure to pack your own.

Monday morning we slept in, of course it was nice and quiet. Around 10 am we got up and my husband ventured down to the main desk where we were told there was a "continental breakfast"......this consisted of coffee and cookies. Again, we were looking for frills so it was fine...got some coffee and cookies and hit the road. Little over an hour to Detroit. Came back later that night and again slept just fine. Tuesday morning we went to check out and of course that was easy...still the only folks there! However, upon leaving the room the carpets in the hallway were being cleaned by housekeeping. So it's not like they just let it run down completely. Also, my husband was able to jump on one of a couple of computers with free internet access to get some weather information and he said it worked fine and was surprisingly fast.

I stress again, that if you are looking for a cheap place to stay that's clean, this was great. It's rundown, yes, but for $36 a night it's WELL worth it.

• Liked — Clean and Cheap
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Classic Inn? Share your experiences!