“A five-minute stay is all you need” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Toledo - University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3530 Executive Pkwy., Toledo, OH 43606   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Toledo
Yorkville, Illinois, United States
“A five-minute stay is all you need”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We chose this hotel because we needed somewhere close to an event and, based on the pictures from this location's website, we thought this would be fine. The pictures are NOT what the rooms look like. The carpet was damp and black, the room smelled awful, and there was mold all over the outside overhang. There was no way I would even sit on the bed let alone sleep there. The front desk did not give me a hard time when I said that I wouldn't be staying here, however. He said that the charges would be reversed on my card. We happily and comfortably stayed at the same chain of hotels we always stay at (Hampton Inn) after this drama.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bath, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I don't know how Red Roof Inn has any positive ratings whatsoever for this location, unless they are doing some ballot stuffing. We chose to stay there because, according to trip advisor, it had a higher rating than the Comfort Inn and Ramada Inn nearby. Really?! I promise you the only place to stay near the university in Toledo is the Ramada. The Red Roof Inn is run-down, but that would have been ok if it was clean and functional. We checked in and turned on the A/C but it made such a horrible sounding racket we couldn't keep it on. We planned to use the fridge, but even on it's coldest setting would not get cold enough to store food in. The real clincher, though, was the tub. In the bottom of the tub was brownish goo that looked very much like poo. It was disgusting, and we realized that if this was the level of quality Red Roof Inn had for cleanliness, we did NOT want to try climbing into the beds. In disgust and feeling in need of a shower, we packed up and left...this is NOT a place to stay if you value your food, comfort, and cleanliness. Ick, ick, ick!!!

Room Tip: I have no advice other than STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!! Ick!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at this motel for one night returning home after a long trip. This was near the end of 20 nights in motels. This place was disgusting. The carpet was filthy. The chair was so nasty I would not sit in it, I went out and sat in the car to use my computer. The A/C unit was so filthy I would not let my husband turn it on. In the morning I opened a dresser drawer to make sure nothing was in it -- well, there was --- It was full of roach droppings. The bed and the pillows were comfortable and the shower was hot with a good spray. The filth over-ruled the good things. I hope I never have to stay there again. On this trip we stayed in places that were $10 cheaper and immaculately clean. Avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We are so glad that we are able to travel with our Pastor to conventions. In addition to the great teaching and fellowship that comes when our church travels, we always look forward to our stay at the Red Roof Inn off of Secor Rd. The manager and the entire staff treat everyone like family and try to go out of their way to accommodate all requests. It's like the service you get at a big fancy hotel!

Room Tip: This Red Roof has an elevator
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Aurora, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Check in was very friendly. The guy at the desk (I neglected to get his name.) was friendly and helpful. The room was clean but basic. Good place to stay if you need a place to stay for the night while on the road.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The room was good - clean and fresh. Just wish the staff were a little more friendly - they are sullen, uninterested and avoid eye contact at all times. When we checked in to this dog friendly hotel, we walked into the lobby and got yelled at that on no account were we to bring the dog into the lobby as the member of staff was dog allergic! Not a great start, but the hotel itself is good. No hairdrier in the room and the pillows - as we are finding with most Red Roof Hotels of recent - are rather solid and rubbery.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

The motel has what you need for a night's stay, espcially if you have business in the university area. The fridge and microwave are a nice bonus. There is no coffee maker in the room but there is coffee available in the lobby - though its a bit of a walk from the back of the motel to the lobby. There is a nice little table and a couple of comfortable chairs in the room. The sink is outside the toilet/bath room which is convenient when several people are trying to get ready. Though I booked for three people there were only two sets of towels in the room and one little plastic packet of shampoo.

A couple of annoyances. They charge $1.50 safe fee. The safe is very prominent in the room. If its part of the room and I have to pay the fee it should be part of the published cost of the room. (I always wonder how secure these room safes are. Surely there is an overriding code for when people forget their codes so it would all come down to honest employees anyway.)

The other annoyance was that the computer was not working at check out time so I left with no receipt. Sometimes when you cross a border they ask for receipts to prove where you were staying. This happens with some frequency in hotels yet they always seem to be working when I check in.

Overall though the motel was just fine and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: It is a motel with outside doors so ground level rooms get the sound of people parking.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Red Roof Inn Toledo - University? Share your experiences!