“almost perfect...except for incidental charge we weren't told about nor was it included on our bill...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn and Suites Toledo-North

Double HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Toledo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

on our way home to chicago from our honeymoon in the poconos in pennsylvania, we stopped at a rest stop about 45 minutes from toledo to research places to stay the night. because of the reviews on here we chose this hotel. check in was easy, the clerk friendly and before we knew it we were in our very clean and updated room. the bed was comfortable enough (we both weren't crazy about the pillows though but no biggie) and the flat screen tv was a nice size. loved the bathroom and the overall coziness of our room. we were only going to be there for about 9 1/2 hrs and most all of that time we would be sleeping. it seemed very soundproof...we weren't disturbed at all during the night. breakfast the next morning was a nice touch...they had 3 choices of cold cereal...oatmeal with an assortment of toppings...fresh fruit that included whole bananas and apples as well as an assorted fruit salad...they offered bagels both plain and cinn/raisin as well as danishes and muffins and toast and offered jams cream cheese and of course butter...they had belgian waffles that you can make yourself...a variety of yogurt...scrambled eggs and egg cheese and bacon frittatas...they had oj and apple juice and a variety of coffees and teas as well as the news channel on tv and the paper available. all sounds perfect doesn't it? the only thing that has stopped me from giving it an excellent rating was the incidental charge they included when they swiped my card but neglected to tell me about or put it on my bill. the bill i received was for one night $119 plus tax (king bed). when i got home however and checked my bank account the amount charged didn't match my bill...it was about $20.00 more. so i called and they told me that it was for incidentals just in case we used the phone or got things from their store (they have a little shop in there sort of like a convenient store) and charged it to our room or ordered a movie or things of that nature. thing is we didn't. the bill i was given should have shown the proper amount that was actually charged to my card. i honestly don't see how that is even legal and if they aren't going to include it on the bill the least they could do is tell you this when you are checking in so you aren't taken by surprise. when i called them they told me of this incidental charge and get this...it will take about a week for me to get it back! now it's only $20.00...but how do they know what my financial situation is? what if i needed that $20.00? and do they do this to people who stay longer? had we stayed a week lets say would they have charged me $140.00 extra without telling me? the answer is yes. i looked at reviews online about this incidental charge and found complaints about that very thing. one girl was charged $250.00 extra for incidentals at a hampton inn without being told ahead of time...she stayed for 5 days. that's just unfair. that tied up $250.00 of her funds in her bank while she was out of town because she used her visa check card. i also read that this is policy for all hotel properties owned by hilton. whether this is true or not i don't know. all i know for certain is that this particular hotel does charge for incidentals so be aware of that ahead of time especially if you will be staying for a while. other than that everything was up to par as far as middle ground hotels go you can't go wrong with this one. if you are aware of and okay with the incidental charge then this is definitely the hotel you should stay at while in toledo.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HamptonToledoNorth, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Toledo-North, responded to this review, November 12, 2011
Thank you so much for your review! To answer your question - yes, it is standard policy to have an extra authorization (for potential incidentals or damage) for Hilton properties. I do assume other hotel chains do this as well, according to a USA Today article I recently read, but I am not positive). The "authorization" isn't a charge, it's money being held just in case there will be incidentals or damage, and that incidentals amount will be put back into your account within a week of your stay (the specific number of days is determined by your card-issuing bank).

My recommendation (for anyone for any hotel stay - it can be an extremely high incidental amount at full service hotels, resorts or casinos or long-term stays at any hotel) is to use a credit *not debit* card at check-in, and you won't even notice the held amount. Then, just before you checkout let the Front Desk Agent know you want to switch to a debit card or cash payment, so you know immediatey that its just that amount that will be charged.

Thanks again, and congratulations on your recent wedding - we really appreciate you staying with us during such a special time! :)

~Laura, Sales & Public Operations Manager, Hampton Inn & Suites Toledo-North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Fort Wayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Only stayed one night, but it was very clean and comfortable! (I have an issue with germs so that's pretty impressive.) We stayed in the bigger suite with a kitchen and it was very spacious and well kept, although we ended up not needing anything but the fridge. :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Chose to stay here with our family (2 kids) for our visit to the Toledo Zoo. The lobby area was very spacious and clean. The entire hotel appears to be recently remodeled, so all areas were clean and well decorated. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, although we didn't have anything out of the ordinary on this trip. Breakfast was OK - very similar to what you would find at most low to mid priced hotels (waffle maker, powdered eggs & bacon or sausage). Based on other reviews, we really hoped to get the 2 room suite, but there were none available. We ended up with a 2Q standard room, which was a little small for 2 very excited children. There was no microwave or refrigerator, which was surprising. All-in-all, it was a nice clean, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This property is always clean and the staff has always been gracious and very accommodating.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We almost didn't stay here because the hotel photos online made it look like the beds were bumpy, which we took to mean poor housekeeping, and the rooms looked drab. We ended up staying here anyway because all the hotels in central Toledo (Ramada, Comfort, etc.) are pretty gross and this hotel is perfectly located right at the highway so we could get anywhere in Toledo in 15 min. or less. When we arrived we discovered the room did not look drab and the beds ARE bumpy! That is, the comforters have these strange bumps in it, no idea why.

The best things about this hotel are:
1. The staff is superb - professional, responsive, friendly, helpful, etc... the orientation I received when I checked in is what I would have expected at a higher end hotel. They even gave us a room upgrade. Everyone is eternally smiling and cheerful.
2. Spaciousness - the reception area, dining area, and rooms (we were in 2 queen with kitchen) were HUGE and gave a relaxing feeling.
3. Convenient location - off of I-75 and Alexis Rd, in walking distance are several fast food restaurants, gas stations, and Meijer
4. Generally clean and comfortable with small perks like the free Kit-kat and water in the room
5. Does have fitness center, pool, guest laundry, etc.

However, don't expect the hotel to be perfect. The living room area of our room was massive but there was no coffee table, and the furniture was kind of blah. Rooms were pretty clean but our tub was clogged by the previous guest and the iron didn't work. The free breakfast was a bit limited and the two hot items per day were processed fake food (the scrambled eggs tasted like water, potatoes like paper, french toast fingers looked like limp worms). Internet is wired in the rooms; no wireless. "Business center" was just a computer and printer. There were only a few mostly local TV channels. The bed sheets & cover were kind of small so with two adults sleeping we couldn't quite cover ourselves. The vending machines were not stocked so we ended up having to go downstairs anyway to buy from the hotel convenience store. I was also shocked that the "convenience store" didn't have any feminine pads - other than water, I can't think of anything else that someone could urgently need.

Other than the breakfast - certainly not up to Hampton standards - we were really satisfied here, and I would definitely stay here again. I can't think of a better hotel to stay at in the area, and most of the drawbacks listed above are small things the hotel management can easily fix.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel so many times, and every time it was great. I still have never seen a cleaner hotel! It also got renovated recently so its even better!! The suite with 2 queens is like an apartment! It have a kitchen with granite counters and table. The kitchen also has a microwave, stove top, and dish washer! The suite has a living room with a couch that has a pull out bed. The suite even has a bedroom that's separate from the living room! Like I said its like an apartment! The hotel breakfast is very good, it has eggs, waffles,
cereal, and danishes. The hampton also offers a fitness center and pool, witch are kept really nice.

Room Tip: The best room is the suite with 2 Queens
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We arrived late in the evening after driving a long time on our cross country trip. We stopped because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor. The gals at the front desk were obviously having a little bit of fun and I walked in on one of them cursing at another employee (and she knew I was standing there). I think it was all in good fun but I felt it was unprofessional and was uncomfortable about it. My first impression of the hotel by the lobby was that it was very nice. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The next morning while I was in the shower, my husband and children were still sleeping and housekeeping knocked on our door just before 9 am and then proceeded to enter our room before my husband could get to the door. Absolutely not ok. We were only staying one night and it was nowhere near check out. I told the front desk gal and she said she would have a word with the housekeeper, this didn't have any effect on us since we were leaving that morning. On the plus side, breakfast was delicious and the pool looked very nice (we didn't have time to swim).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn and Suites Toledo-North? Share your experiences!