“A great find in downtown Toledo, Ohio......” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #33 of 633 Restaurants in Toledo
Cuisines: American
Columbus, Ohio
“A great find in downtown Toledo, Ohio......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I happened to be working in Toledo on Halloween-- and in every city I visit, I have to find a place that is something that locals really think a lot of---Michael's is just that place!

We were exhausted and it was already about 1:30 PM. The lunch rush was over, but you could still see people filing in to get their baked goods. I liked immediately that there was a very large parking lot with easy access to the bulding. When you first enter the building, you are not sure where to look first---there are several businesses there on the first floor, but if you look to the left when entering from the back---there is a lot going on at Michael's. I was absolutely amazed at how many people that they employ! A couple of the ladies were in very cute halloween costumes--that was a nice touch. They were all so eager to help everyone---that is really nice to see these days. We were amazed at the selection of salads. There is also a special of the day--a couple of them. There was an angel hair pasta with shrimp I believe, and also a buffalo chicken wrap that looked wonderful.

We ordered the chicken dumpling soup and the chilli. We also ordered half a club sandwich and chicken salad on lettuce. You have a choice of any dressing that you could possibly think of---and a choice of amazing rolls. You choose your food, drinks and pay, and can go into the area right in front of Michael's and the other businesses there, with many tables available. It is such a warm and cozy area in which to enjoy your meal.

Both soups were just wonderful. The chilli is fantastic. The half a club, very generous, and the chicken salad also. The rolls reminded me of the yeast rolls that my grandmother made when I was a child. There really are some talented bakers who work for Michael's.

After we finished out food, we each chose a dessert, even though we were not hungry at all. We had the pecan bar and the opera brownie I believe is the name---it has a layer of cream, brownie, chocolate. The pecan bar was the best that I have ever had, and we all loved the opera brownie as well.

If we had Michael's Cafe & Bakery in our city, we would be there far too often. It really is just a great place in Toledo and we hope to be back in the future.

• Visited October 2012

Houston, Texas
“Great suggestion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

A great example of how a classic sandwich shop should look, feel and taste! The counter is packed with baked goods and the ladies running the place are super friendly. They actually seem to enjoy themselves and want to be there (unlike many chain restaurants). I will admit that my salad was just 'ok', but my co-workers are regulars and ordered sandwiches instead.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oregon, Ohio
“Talk about a wonderful bakery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

One can not only get breakfast goodies, but, buy lunch as well. They have a wonderful selection of salads, which come with a wonderful bun. They are just an A1 bakery and lunch place.

Visited September 2012
Toledo
“Heaven..... from scratch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Soups, Sandwiches, Salads, incredible desserts, loaves of bread, pastries galore. All top quality. All reasonably priced. You really have to see it to believe it. IN TOLEDO? Stop here!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Sorry for the short review but...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011 via mobile

There is not much to say except that everything here is really good. The prices are fair. The food is delicious. What more can you want. Stop in and you won't be disappointed!