“It's a nice place.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Tiffin
Long Island, NY
“It's a nice place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I go to Tiffin once or twice a year for the Tiffin Glass Collectors Club show & sale. I always stay here. It's not as new as the other brand-name hotels in town and it's not a steel and mortar, heavy-duty building. As a matter of fact, it's 3 separate buildings, each 2 floors. Outside entry for the 1st floor and inside hallways for the 2nd floor. Shellshuckers restaurant is part of the complex. Friendly local people in a friendly local place. Maybe a bit older than the other places but it's CLEAN and well maintained. Wood frame buildings, creaky floors. I live in an old, charming house. Creaky floors are fine by me. Plenty of parking, free breakfast, free internet, nice grassy area by the river. Look, if you want to stay in a big-city type institutional hotel, then stay at one of the other places, but if you want to feel like you're staying in Tiffin while you're staying in Tiffin, then this is your place.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room so nobody is 'walking on your head'.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tewantin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed overnight in a ground floor room recently. We were in town for the speedway (Attica 15mins away). Unfortunately it was cancelled due to rain.
Room was of reasonable size but showing its age. we had a king bed with a decent sized bathroom.
Breakfast was included & it was a nice surprise as someone was cooking a hot breakfast fresh for each person staying.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Anacortes, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at this property on my way to the east coast for a training seminar, and decided to drive rather than turn in my rental car and fly just to rent another car. I thought it'd be nice to take my time and see a part of the country I wasn't really familiar with.
And then I came to Quality inn.

The guy that checked me in reeked of pot.
I went to college, I know that he'd have to have JUST smoked it, none of this "my roommate does it" crap I got when I mentioned it.
I was then advised to "mind my own f_cking business."

I went to find another place and just dispute the charges with Amex, but I couldn't find another room.
So I went to stay anyway, and I saw this same clerk come out of a room, with a cloud of smoke as he left that room. I could see into it, it was open. I really think I must have stressed him out, because hew as obviously smoking pot in that vacant room.
I was just livid.
As mentioned, there was noplace else to go, and while he behavior was appalling to say the least, I DID stay and I did sleep pretty well, even if the room was dated and the mattress was due for replacement, I didn't stop in small town Ohio to watch tv, so it doesn't matter that the set in the room was probably as old as I am.

I went to breakfast, and the waitress was very nice, but the food was bland. Not great. Average.

Overall, I didn't have high expectations, and this guy managed to ruin my stay anyhow.

Room Tip: Try and get one the pottymouth clerk isn't doing drugs in!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Tiffin hotels

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

the property was well kept, restaurant and bar was excellent in meals and service, staff was friendly and efficient would stay there again for sure rooms were clean and well decorated only negative no microwave or mini fridge

Room Tip: this property was on the water w a beautiful outdoor pool as well on the water to add to the draw w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We chose this hotel due to the price. It was affordable and roughly a 40 mile drive to Cedar Point and we ended up saving a ton of money. The hotel does not have an elevator. The rooms are decent. All the rooms are non-smoking which is a plus for me. The hallway leading to our room was musky and felt like the air conditioning wasn't working or something like that. Another awesome thing about the hotel is that it is connected to Shell Shuckers. If you stay here you have got to eat at Shell Shuckers. The place has delicious food and it is also where they have the breakfast buffet in the mornings. The breakfast is better quality than most Choice Hotel breakfasts I have had. I would stay here again. Also, the hotel does not have a business center but the people will let you use their computers behind the front desk to print anything you need.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I will not stay here again. The property is very outdated and very old, it has an 80's feel going on. The rooms are small and the bathroom was so small you could hardly turn around in it, ok a little bit of exageration but not much. The bathroom did not have enough towels and we had to go get more, the tub looked dirty and any metal parts had rust on them. The worst part was that we did not book this hotel and found our when we got there that they had us on the second floor and there are not elevators, the staff said they were full and could not change it, and referred to 15 steps as if it were nothing. They weren't the ones lugging the suitcase up and down them now were they.

They only thing this property has going for it is the restaurant Shell Shuckers. We came back for lunch as someone took us there and I thought oh no you have got to be kidding. Our nights stay having been noisy and not sleeping well I didn't want to see this hotel so soon. BUT the restaurant served great food, it tasted very good and was served pretty quick. The only down side to the restaurant was the air conditioning wasn't working.

Staff had an I got to be here attitude, were helpful when asked for something but did not go out of there way to be friendly at all.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn Express also in town, just check into it and spend a little bit more for a better nights...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stay here several times a year when visiting relatives. No, there's nothing special about the rooms, but they provide the basics: clean, comfortable bed, working plumbing, and generally pleasant enough. Yes, the property is relatively old, but seems to be in good repair -- and the separate buildings seem to discourage noisy parties and slamming doors, as it's always quiet. We've had no issues with customer service; in fact, the staff always seems friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts have been a cut above others: on our most recent stay (Christmas 2011), we had our choice of anything on the breakfast menu at the attached Shellshuckers restaurant -- can't beat that! (Previously we've had the made-to-order omelettes, and there's usually a small breakfast bar with other choices as well.) The key for us is value: we get a decent room and excellent breakfast for a reasonable price, usually significantly below the cost of other area motels.

Room Tip: Call for a reservation: the rate given on the phone was lower than the lowest rate shown online.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!