“Poor Front of House Management” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Ashland
“Poor Front of House Management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you've ever read my reviews, you'll see I'm pretty pleased with the experiences I've had while traveling, mostly because I do my research on TripAdvisor ahead of time. Yesterday, that wasn't the case when we stopped by the Macaroni Grill in Strongsville, Ohio.

We had been to this particular restaurant a long time ago when the kids were little, but the food and service was excellent so after a little shopping we thought what the heck - it was good last time it should still be (plus the parking lot was pretty crowded which is always a good sign).

First off, let me say the food was just as good as it was the last time we were there (a good dozen years ago) which is a high compliment to the cooking staff. The rosemary bread, the goat-cheese stuffed peppers, the pasta, the chocolate cake dessert all excellent.

However, that's where the good ended. We are pretty patient people and aren't snobbish by any stretch of the imagination. Nor do we expect to be waited on hand and foot while at a restaurant. However, having experience in the restaurant industry, we are probably more aware of what you should or should not do out on the floor where customers can see.

Though we were seated swiftly and got our order in quickly, we sat watching the management and waiters quarrel quietly beside customer tables. We thought perhaps it was just something momentary that needed attended to, but this behavior continued for a good hour as we ate and watched.

From the hostess stand, to the waiting staff, to who we later found out was the manager, there was no recognition that you don't complain within ear-shot of the customers. Sure, when you are back in the kitchen area or out of sight and hearing of customers, quietly complain all you want, but not right there where everybody is watching.

To add insult to injury, my wife forgot her purse so she went back in to retrieve it and was practically reprimanded by the hostess. She didn't have the common courtesy to treat her nicely and politely check on it, but rather pointed out the manager and told my wife to go ask her. What a crock.

Needless to say, though Macaroni Grill has only had our patronage twice in a dozen years, we will not be going back.

If you can put up with an unprofessional staff in lieu of some good food - go for it. But as a customer, I don't expect to have my meal interrupted with a gossiping staff or be treated like an interruption while panicking about a missing purse.

Never going back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

47% Recommend
Aurora, Ohio
“Good Food and Pleasant Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We started as a party of 3 and was seated within 5 minutes. After a phone call we ended up a party of 5. The staff was gracious and moved us to a larger table. Apparently, I was on the phone when the waitress took the drink orders. The only blip was that I actually had to ask for something to drink when the bread was brought to the table. Other than that, our waitress was decently attentive to us.

The menu did not seem as exciting as in the past. I ordered the King Salmon. The salmon was cooked perfectly.... cooked through but moist. The rice and vegetable mixture that came with it was quite yummy. Salads are separate which makes the meal more expensive than other places of the same caliber. I am used to most restaurants automatically serving the dressing on the side, so I did not ask for it. Too much dressing was on the salad. The bread is marvelous. It is served with olive oil.

Overall, I would go back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good food,wonderful bread”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I love the fettuccini alfredo. Love,love,love there rustic herb bread with butter. The eggplant is good. the butcher paper on the tables are fun for both adults and kids, Wine list is okay. the Tiramisu is very strong in alcohol but still good.

Visited February 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Always Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Consistently excellent, best house wine around at reasonable price, healthy options that taste good, great management and service!

north royalton
“Turning away customers in droves”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Yes it was New Years /Eve, it was 5:00 PM and yes we expected a wait. But the woman at the greeting stand was rude and arguing with everyone coming in about a 2 hour wait even though there were at least 15 empty tables in the restaurant. Those are for reserved parties she said. Okay, can we reserve a table. No, we are not taking any more reservations. What? We walked in with people leaving in droves and we walked out with people leaving in droves? Do you or don't you take reservations? Do you not want people in your restaurant tonight? I have never seen a restaurant lose so many customers in 10 minutes. Very confused front of the house.

Visited December 2011