“Not up to expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 138 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whether you're staying overnight or just here for the evening, Simon Kenton Inn has it all with beautiful surroundings, fine dining, a fully stocked pub, outdoor fire pits, and fantastic event space.
Oak Harbor
“Not up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

A little disappointed by a nice looking place to eat. Just thought everything was very average. Steak could have used more seasoning. Side was very bland. Salad had little dressing or taste. Staff could be friendlier to patrons. Food needs improvement to match the prices charged.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
SimonKentonInn, Manager at Simon Kenton Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your review! I apologize that your experience did not meet expectations. We strive for excellence and your feedback will help us improve!

Urbana, Ohio
“over rated!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

the staff was very unprofessional, out of caeser salad??? The staff actually argues in front of us. My husband and I felt like intruders. We were out for a special evening,NOT!

Visited September 2012
SimonKentonInn, Manager at Simon Kenton Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for your review! I apologize that your experience did not meet expectations. I also apologize that you and your husband we're made to feel like intruders. I understand you were in for a special evening and we regret we were unable to provide that for you. We strive for excellence and your feedback will help us improve!
Springfield, Ohio
“Good Valentines Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We dined at the Inn on Valentines Day, having seen their offer. We were able to book in one of the dining rooms in the house, chock full of antiques and ambiance. We both had the stuffed chicken which was very tasting and well-prepared. The two breads, one dill and one rosemary, were moist and delicious. We asked for more and got it. We had a lava cake for dessert which was great and enough for both of us. This was a big night for dining and Simon Kenton pulled it off. We will be back soon.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review! We appreciate you celebrating with us and look forward to seeing you again!
“We won't be back for the buffet.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

First off, let me give you a little bit of information. We were interested in going to the New Years Eve dinner last year, but when I called them they said they were only serving prime rib as the meat, so we didn't go.

This year when I called they said they would be serving seafood, chicken and prime rib. I waited a few days and decided to call to make reservations. I was told they were fully booked and I could be added to the "waitlist" and they would call me if anything opened up. On New Years Eve I hadn't heard from them, so I called again. Sure enough, they had openings but never called me back. We had no problem getting reservations.

When we arrived we were seated at the bar area. For some reason, they cram as many tables in a small space as humanly possible. I really wish they wouldn't do this. We were literally seated at a table wedged between the bar and a table at the entrance with the walkway directly next to our table on all sides. There was a large family preparing to leave when we arrived. This party was EXTREMELY loud. I couldn't hear my husband and he was sitting across the table from me. At one point these people decided to leave. They sat their car seat right next to our table along with the diaper bag. Then that person left and a few others stood directly next to our table chatting and a lady almost hit me in the face with her purse. How's that for romance?

Let's get to the food. This is why we won't be back unless it's a "traditional" dinner. You're paying $25 for a buffet, which is more than the meal I get under normal conditions costs there. $25 is definitely a steep price for what you receive. The buffet consisted of rolls and breadsticks that appeared to be the frozen kind that you buy at the grocery. Some of them were also burnt black on the bottom. There was salad (just leaves no vegetables in it), with 2 dressings, black eyed peas, green beans, red mashed potatoes, fish, chicken in a mushroom sauce, prime rib and for dessert there was carrot cake, cheesecake and chocolate silk pie.

The food was luke-warm at best. The green beans were undercooked and rubbery/waxy. The potatoes were delicious but cold. The chicken wasn't bad but it was cold. My husband always gets the prime rib when we eat dinner there, so the prime rib really appealed to him. What did he think of the prime rib? He thought it was gross. Not only was it cold, it was overcooked, extremely tough and rubbery. He cut off a small piece for me to try that was well done. No joke, it tasted like cube steak. Even with a knife, it was hard to cut and it was very chewy. He said normally it's juicy, more pink and tender. When people took the desserts, they weren't replaced. When I went to get my dessert, I had the option of 2 pieces of chocolate pie. One had completely fallen apart and the other had something spilled on the plate. There was 1 or 2 pieces of carrot cake left and two pieces of plain cheesecake without any toppings.

I'm not sure what the issue was making reservations. After the large party left, there were only 2 other people in our room and in the actual house portion I believe there was only one table filled.

I think the buffet is overpriced for the limited amount of options and the fact that there's no way to keep the food warm. They had the "pilot" lit for their serving dishes, but it didn't help. The food was kept at the entrance (the "connector for the bar and house), so I'm sure the door being opened didn't help the issue.

Overall, we were dissatisfied. We will never go back for a buffet again. If I were Theresa (the owner) I would do away with the buffet. People go to Simon Kenton Inn for the experience and this time it wasn't a good one. The space is too limited to get up and get food, not to mention that it ruins the ambiance of the setting. If you don't want to have a full menu available, make a smaller menu available with less options similar to the Christmas Eve menu. If you want to do something special for New Years Eve, for a set price offer dinner with a glass of wine or a piece of cake included. I really think this buffet was a bad idea.

We enjoy coming to the Simon Kenton Inn because it's normally a quiet, child free dinner. The tables are usually lit by candlelight with soft music playing in the background. You are brought freshly made bread to your table, which is delicious. The food is normally great and it's served fresh and hot. This is why we like going to the Simon Kenton Inn. This is what will keep the guests coming back, not being served burnt and cold food.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review! I apologize that your experience did not meet expectations. I also apologize that the buffet disappointed you and your husband. We strive for excellence and your feedback will help us improve! We ran our New Years Eve buffet again this year and I am proud to say we we're able to fix the issues you encountered last year. Response has been overwhelmingly positive and I hope you consider us an option in the future!
Southern California
“Go for the Historical ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I went to dinner here with friends while visiting the area. The historical structure is the main attraction - do make sure you are seated in one of the dining rooms within the original building for the full effect. The menu is nice - with several decent offerings for someone who doesn't eat meat (me). My friends RAVED about their prime rib and steak, my shrimp dish was nice but not anything special. The waitress had described the 'shrimp hash' as sort of a jambalaya that would be spicy. It didn't have any discernable seasoning at all - a little bland.
The service was leisurely and uneven. We ordered a bottle of red wine, and were brought white wine glasses which were replaced as requested - a place that offers such a nice wine list should be sure to educate servers on the proper glasses.
Dessert selection was varied & delicious.
For me, this would be a 'special event' dining experience due to the $$$ cost and the lovely dining rooms. It was decorated for Christmas which was lovely.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review! We appreciate the kind words and apologize for the uneven service. We strive for excellence and your feedback will help us improve. We're glad you enjoyed the decorations!