“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Springfield
Springfield, Ohio
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I travel to Springfield weekly for business and have stayed in almost every hotel in the area, however The Courtyard Springfield Downtown is my stay of choice. Hotel staff has always been very accomodating and have gone out of their way on many occasions to meet my needs.
The food in the restaurant is better than average for hotel fare and the lounge staff creates a very friendly and energetic environment. It is a very refreshing change from typical, stuffy hotel lounges. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: North end is further from train tracks, but I have stayed in south facing rooms several times withou...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
freq_traveler256,
Thank you for your review and continued patronage with us at Courtyard Springfield. We appreciate the opportunity to serve your hotel needs while traveling for business, and we're glad we consistently deliver great service during your visits. Please continue to make us your choice hotel in Springfield. Thank you again for writing and sharing your recommendations of our great hotel.

Becky Krieger, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Saint Clair, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

The customer service at this hotel was horrendous. I made the reservations for seven rooms for a wedding months in advance and called several times in the ensuing months to make sure the rooms were as adjacent as possible - even to 3 days before when I was given the actual room numbers, all on the 5th floor. When the first person to check in arrived he was given a room on a totally different floor! When I arrived I was given the keys to a room that already had guests in it! The beds are supposed to be double beds but they were very small - and I have double beds in my home. We paid a healthy rate for the rooms even with the wedding discount, yet we found no complementary breakfast of any kind or any discount for guests to eat in the on-site restaurant. One of the families had small children and losts of luggage. We found a trolley upon check-in but there were none to be found on check out - apparently they only have a couple for 6 floors of rooms. All seven families were very disappointed in our stay at this hotel and we wouldn't recommend it in any way to anyone else!! If you elect to stay here, I hope you like trains - they go buy about 5 in the morning

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Marcella S,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to accommodate your requests and provide the exceptional stay and service you've come to expect from us. These details definitely do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your stay. We value your business and would never want to leave you with a poor impression. Please know that your comments are being addressed with our team and additional steps will be taken to ensure we're doing all we can to serve our guests. We do hope you'll consider staying with us again.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The hotel was in good shape and the staff were pleasant and efficient. The hotel was a standard Courtyard so if you've stayed in one before, you know what to expect. The attached restaurant has daily specials and claims to have a nice craft beer selection, though the menu didn't seem particularly "craft beer-ish" - your standard domestics with some seasonals thrown in. Still a little better selection than you'd get at a standard Courtyard, I guess.

My only complaint was that the hotel did not have any ice scrapers we could borrow in the morning to remove ice from the car, as the SpringHill Suites we stayed at in Flagstaff did.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Adam R,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with us at Courtyard Springfield. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially in identifying ways we can improve our guest experience. We have taken your comments into consideration and purchased more ice scrapers for guests to use during the winter season. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and found our staff pleasant and efficient during your visit. We hope to extend our hospitality to you again in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Montgomery, AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel itself is fine overall, though there was a small stain on the sheet of one bed, the heavy privacy curtain wouldn't stay closed all the way, & the towels are thin and rough on the skin. The hotel restaurant is pricey & there's nothing else within walking distance, but if you have a car, there are several restaurants within 3-5 miles. Also it's near railroad tracks, but at least the trains don't blow their whistles as they pass.
As to Marriott Corporation: I made reservations through their 800 number. The clerk told me the nightly rate, then asked if I had any auto club memberships; I did & that brought the rate down by $10. I then asked if they had a military veteran's rate as I'm retired Air Force; she said she could give me the "government rate" of $75/night but I had to show my ID at check-in. No problem! However, big problem: She mistakenly booked me as part of a local company whose out of town visitors stay there for the corporate rate of $75/night; I was charged the actual government rate of $83/night. Over three nights times two rooms (one for my brother, too; we were in town for our mother's funeral) times all the local taxes--that's a significant difference. Yes, it's still a great rate and had that been the rate I was told in the first place, no problem; but the issue is, when I called Marriott to ask them to honor the rate their agent originally gave me--AND sent in an e-mail--they refused. A QUALITY company would honor the original rate because it was their error, not mine. Apparently, Marriott is not a quality company.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably lessen the train noise. West facing rooms look out on the avenue & museum...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Reb27,
Thank you for writing. Your feedback is important to us as guest satisfaction is our highest priority. I sincerely apologize for the room rate discrepancy you encountered when making your reservations and the areas we fell short of meeting your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly in order to make amends and honor your originally quoted room rate. Please contact me directly to discuss. We value you as our guest, and hope to speak with you soon. Thank you again for writing.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had an terrible encounter with this hotel: I ordered a surprise birthday gift delivery to my friend who stayed there. I made sure the hotel knew it and to surprise her. However they didn't. The reason they offered was they didn't have her as a guest.
??
Hotel said it might not show if she came in under a group reservation.
"But you do require an ID to check in, don't you?" I asked.
No, apparently they didn't. It's so odd, after 9/11.
However after grilling my friend, I found out that yes she did come under a group BUT she "paid myself with my credit card and passport upon checking in."
The hotel still insisted that it would not trigger.
The guest checked in under her own name with her own passport.
I was speechless.
"Could you pls over night it to Seattle where she would spend the next two nights before returning to Beijing?" I asked. It's late but still was a surprise.
Sure the person on the line readily replied.
Four long days of silence ensued.
When I called again, they still insisted that they had no record of her staying and I did not leave a credit card number to cover the shipping, the supervisor replied.
I was outraged by now.
First of all, they never mentioned that they needed my credit card; secondly IF they needed, why did they contact me??!!
By now my gf had returned home.
After couple more calls and a call to their customer service center; plus my friend sent her invoice. Four days later the hotel finally called to say they would send it to Beijing, on the house. It was sent via regular mail. I'm happy to report - Thank Lord - it arrived before her next birthday.

What a horrible experience, of a hotel being so un-hospitable. They totally butchered a beautiful birthday surprise.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Irene E,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry for the frustrations you experienced with sending a surprise gift to one of our guests. We strive to accommodate all special requests and we sincerely apologize for any miscommunication that occurred. Your feedback is important to us as we continually work to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for writing.

Hudson, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I recently stayed at the Courtyard during Homecoming weekend for Wittenberg University. I primarily selected the hotel simply because many events for my organization were being held in the hotel, and I didn't want to have to drive over for each event. To be honest, if I didn't have that issue, I probably would have stayed somewhere else as this hotel does not offer a free breakfast, and for the rates that they charged that would have been a criteria for me.

The room was your standard, king sized bed hotel room, nice bathroom with marble countertops, etc. I liked having the 5 pillows on the bed to select from, and the bed was comfortable. I saw the earplugs on the nightstand so I knew I was in for some train noise, and I did hear trains at least twice during the night each night. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant, but did have some late night drinks at the bar - the bar's beer selection was appreciated by those that were in my group, but we did have trouble getting the attention of the bartenders when we wanted to order (you have to go to the bar and flag them down if you want something). Overall, the experience was good, and if I had an event in the hotel again I would stay there for that reason.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
worleybird98,

Thank you for taking a moment to write a review regarding your stay with us at Courtyard Springfield Downtown. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while attending Homecoming weekend at Wittenberg University. We always appreciate hearing from our guests on aspects that made their stay enjoyable, as well as opportunities for improving our guest experience. I'm pleased to hear you found the comfort of our accommodations to meet your satisfaction. Your valuable comments have been shared with our staff so we can do a better job of providing exceptional service. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is the best choice if you care for quality in Springfield. It's also the priciest hotel, but I found that it was worth it. The rooms are kind of small but the bed was comfortable.

Pros:
1. The breakfast was delicious at the Mela Restaurant but expect to pay about $10
2. The fitness room and pool were in great shape
3. The lobby was clean and had lots of areas to sit and socialize and watch some tv
4. I didn't notice the train on the north side of the hotel
5. The soaps and amenities in the room were very nice

Cons:
1. The room furniture was mismatched and the mini fridge on the floor looked ridiculous
2. The room was not very big and spacious
3. There are not a lot of restaurants close by in the downtown area

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
ace897,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at Courtyard Springfield Downtown. We appreciate you sharing your observations and recognizing our strengths while providing us some areas of opportunity. Your valuable comments are important to us as guest satisfaction is our number one priority. We’re glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay and we hope you’ll visit us again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.

Becky Krieger, General Manager

Been to Courtyard Springfield Downtown? Share your experiences!