“We loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hocking Hills Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Bloomingville
Hocking Hills Resort
25780 Liberty Hill Road, South Bloomingville, OH 43152   |
Detroit, Michigan
“We loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in Ladyslipper cabin on the Labor Day weekend. There were four of us. My husband and I gat the bedroom and our two friends used the huge loft that sleeps six. One bath a balcony with peaceful views and a hot tub that was great but the weather was too warm to use it. The kitchen is handy for the Hocking Hills area as there are not many restaurants close by. (The Grouse Nest Restaurant is onsite and delicious) If the kitchen didn't have it, the office did. They have a small gift shop in the check in area where I purchased two log carvings by a local woman named Dee Dee. I wish I could have met her. All in all, I would like to stay here again, IF we can get back up the driveway!
And don't forget to pet Mama the cat who sleeps on the porch.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
HHRGNR, Owner at Hocking Hills Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Hocking Hills Resort, and grateful that you took the time to post your comment here in TripAdvisor. Don't forget, as repeat guests you are part of the Repeat Club and if you call for a reservation within 24 hours and we have a cabin available, you get half off the regular price. You don't need a voucher number for that -- it's automatic. We are looking forward to your next visit.

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Ditto to Joejones review from 9/10. I wish that I had read it before going to Hocking Hills.... When we went outside on the deck, we smelled a septic or sulphur type smell. There was so much unsightly debris seen from the deck. The whirlpool tub had a yellow stain and the drain would not stay up to drain the water. There were only a few towels in our cabin that we used the first day and they smelled musty upon arrival. It took several times, before I could find anyone in office to get clean towels. The cabin was dusty with cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. Our bill was incorrect at checkin and again at checkout.

The love bug cabin did have a gas fire insert that heated the cabin really well that we used at night. The windows by the whirlpool tub were a nice feature. The location of the Hocking Hills Resort is convenient drive to the hiking.

The Grouse Nest food was excellent. There is a nice outside area to eat. We plan on eating there again.

Room Tip: I can not recommend staying here until it is cleaned up and maintained.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HHRGNR, Owner at Hocking Hills Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Some things all potential guests should know about Hocking Hills Resort:
Hocking Hills Resort is a natural resort in the heart of Hocking State Forest, where most guests leave happy, refreshed and ready to return to their jobs, families and the stresses of city living. Yes, the drive is rugged and sometimes challenging to get up the hill—that is the true nature of the Appalachian foothills. Our water comes from a well deep within the ground, bringing forth minerals such as iron that can stain the cleanest of tubs. The occasional woodland bug will make it inside the cabins, which are treated once a month but reside among the trees in the forest. The cabins are cleaned thoroughly between guests, and the mattresses heat-treated. Anyone familiar with country living knows how quickly a cob web can appear, spun across a room overnight, staying one step ahead of the housekeeper with her telescoping dust mop. Hocking Hills Resort, aka its original name Ash Cave Cabins, is an unpretentious hospitality business in a quiet, peaceful setting where we strive to make our guests comfortable with friendly service and extra touches such as excellent food at our restaurant (Grouse Nest), beautiful receptions and banquets, romantic packages, and pet-friendly cabins. We know our style is not for everyone. We don’t apologize for that.
Florence, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Customer service at the office was very poor. They are very hard to get in touch with. The service at the restaurant was decent. The lovebug #4 cabin was very dirty and outdated. The ceiling had a huge hole in it. The walls were dirty and holes in them as well. It took at least 45 min to halfway fill up the wirlpool tub. Cobwebs all over the ceiling. Lots of debris outside made it very unsightly. Cabin just really needs a good cleaning and updated. Given the price and the numerous other cabins in the area I do not see us ever staying here again.

Room Tip: stay anywhere but here....
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I am writting this review 1 & a half years post staying at Hocking Hills resort. I have been remanicing about the stay that my husband & I had there & feel that it needs to be shared with others who may be interested in staying there!
When we first arrived we were a little taken a back by the very long, steep, rough drive up to the "resort". Our exact words were, "Thank God we didn't bring the car!" Secondly, we arrived & no one was there to greet us, again...we were a little turned off by that. There was a note saying that they would be back, but we had no idea that there wouldn't be anyone there for us to check in. So, we waited. Luckily, the area is so beautiful & it was a beautiful, warm, early September day. So, the wait wasn't really that bad. We were greeted a little while later & given the key to our "Love Bug Cabin". The cabin was SO cute! So quaint, quiet & clean. It really was totally worth it! Starting out on this trip I was totally bummed because we had reservations for Nags Head NC for a week at the beach. Unbenonced to us a hurricane moved in two days prior to our reservation & just leveled the entire area we were to stay at! Looking up the Hocking Hills Resort was a total "whim" on my part! I had never even heard of "Hocking Hills Ohio" before! But, I am SO glad that we stayed!
We did have one issue while we were there, but it was taken care of immediatly. I had ordered a basket for our cabin & we never received it. Once I brought it to the staff's attention, they took care of it right away! They even brought us a bigger basket than I had ordered. Then we found out that they delivered that basket to the wrong room! They let us keep that basket & didn't charge us for a basket at all!
The cabin is so cute, the jaccuzi tub is awesome under the sky light. The water is a little rusty & brown, but growing up in the mountains of PA I know how the water in the woods can be! So, it was not a disapointment at all! The shower was HUGE & seating all around it. We totally loved the back porch & spent the evenings out there burning fire in the chimney. The night sky is AWESOME! There are no lights around, so you can see every star in the sky & all of the constelations. The last night we were there there was a thunder storm & let me tell you, with all the lights out in the cabin, laying in the bed & watching the lightning thru the skylight, it was so romantic!
While in the area we visited Ash Cave & I really wish we could have done more hiking & sight seeing. The area is just awesome & I can not wait to go back!
Finally, in the cabin we stayed in there is a journal from all those who come, stay & come back. It was such an awesome thing to read & to add to! I would totally stay here again & have suggested this place to others to check out! The Grouse Nest Resturant was great too! Really good food, quiet & good service!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Centerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We just left Hocking Hills Resort and had the most wonderful time. We loved our Love Bug Cabin, it was clean, cozy and decorated tastefully. We hiked Ash Cave State Park and returned to soak in the jacuzzi tub with the stars over our head. We will be back soon to enjoy the Hocking Hills and the Love Bug Cabin. The Grouse Nest Restaurant was an added touch that served fabulous food!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Centerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We stayed at Hocking Hills Resort this and found the resort to be secluded on top of a hill, with friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in a Love Bug Cabin that had a great 2 person jacuzzi tub. We had pizza brought to our cabin and enjoyed the balcony off the bedroom, sitting under the stars with a camp fire in the chimnea. We'll be back !

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
junction city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

the owners made a great couple of nights in to a greedy rip off. we had two good nights in one of the cabins and when i left i even cleaned the cabin and it look better than when we arrived and smelled just the same except for the fact that we made a fire in the fire place. which is going to make any place smell like smoke. Instead of calling or getting a hold of us first the owners took it upon their selves to deduct another 75.00 out of my bank account without my permission for a comforter that we allegedly ruined. and accused us of smoking in the cabin. which i made sure didnt happen. they said we were smoking because there was cig. butts (OUTSIDE THE CABIN IN A ASH TRAY THEY PROVIDED) now how is that proof that we smoked inside. And when we got there there was already cig. butts in the ash tray that wasnt ours. so what does that say about how well they clean before the next guest arrives. i didnt even get to see this so called burnt comforter because they never bothered to call me or get a hold of me in any way so that i could atleast discuss it with them and see the proof. i guess they think that i should just take the word of a complete stranger. While we was there i respected them enough to go outside and smoke and we still got blamed for smoking. maybe if they dont want there cabins to smell like smoke they shouldnt have a fire place. if you decide to go to these cabins to stay make sure you dont give them a credit card because they may take it upon them selves to lie and deduct money from your account without your permission. i will be reporting this to the better buiness bureau. CREDIT CARD USER BEWARE AT THE HOCKING HILLS RESORT

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hocking Hills Resort? Share your experiences!