“Friendly staff, enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Solon
Ashburn, Virginia
“Friendly staff, enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in a 1-bedroom suite and enjoyed our stay very much. The location was ideal for us since there were restaurants within walking distance and a movie theater across the parking lot. Our bedroom was huge with two comfy queen sized beds. It was great having 2 TVs and a full-size fridge for drinks and snacks. Included in their reasonable room rates you get a hot breakfast and on weeknights they have complimentary dinner and wine/beer from 5 to 7. The dinner when we were there was salad and hot dogs/brats. Nothing fancy but great for being included in the room rate.

What made this place stand out for us was the interaction with the staff. The managers stopped by and chatted with everyone during breakfast and cocktail hour and the staff serving the food at breakfast and dinner were very friendly and kind. We would definitely stay here again if we're in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at this location in November and have to say that I was not very impressed. I like the idea of having the extanded stay option and like staying at Homewood Suites but this location was different than some of the others. The front desk staff was cordial but did not give you the welcoming feeling that I have become accustomed to while traveling. The people working in housekeeping were friendlier. I had to walk so far to get to my room, there was probably no need to even go to the fitness center. Breakfast and dinner were okay but nothing to rave about. If I have to return to this area, I will find another option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Homewood Suites, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. I truly regret if you had a disappointing experience with some aspects of our hotel and more specifically that you did not feel that our staff was welcoming. I can assure you that I have taken your feedback into consideration and have personally spoken to our staff regarding your comments.

Again, I sincerely apologize that you went through any inconveniences during your stay and I hope that you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.
Port Charlotte, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Homewood Suites in Solon, Ohio over the Thanksgiving weekend. We also had 2 more suites for our children and their families. We were about 8 miles from my parents' home in Aurora and chose this hotel for the suite configuration for the families traveling with us.

Have never stayed at a Homewood Suites before, but have stayed at Marriiott Residence Inns and Hyatt House on many occasions, so some of my comments are based on a comparison to those brands.

We really liked the location - quiet, in a business park setting. Movie theaters directly across the parking lot, Longhorn Steakhouse and Mexican restaurant within walking distance, as well as KFC and Taco Bell. Chinese takeout across the road. CVS about a mile away as well as Giant Eagle grocery store, BP gas station, Dunkin Donuts, etc.

We arrived very late in the evening due to plane problems, though one of guests in the three rooms wouldn't arrive until 1am. Check-in was swift and we were able to check in our third party so they could just pick up their key and be on their way.

Thought the rooms were nice enough. Nothing really special - very small "kitchen" area, on the small side, living area with flat screen TV, king bed with decent linens and another TV and bath with small tub/shower. Closet and drawer space adequate for a not too extended stay. Plentiful and decent quality towels, Bath and Bodyworks toiletries (which werre replenshised each day). LOTS!! of hot water (be careful before you enter the tub or shower!) Temperature control in the bedroom worked well for us - we used airconditioning most nights to keep the room cool for sleeping. Thought the kitchen was inadequate. Not well stocked with essential kitchen tools for an extended stay. But the oddest thing was no dishwashing soap or dishwasher detergent. We would have gladly taken care of our own mess, but there was nothing we could use to do so. Popped into the laundry room and were very pleasantly surprised to find 3 washing machines and 3 dryers in a large room with a flat screen TV and a seating area if you chose to wait. Bring quarters - wash $1, dry $1. Finally a hotel that offers "free" WiFi - no $12.95 a day. Call it what you will - include it quietly in the room rate - but please, don't slap me with a WiFi fee.

We thought the breakfast offerings were adequate. Eggs seemed to be reconsituted dry, OJ maybe not real and coffee was lousy (according to those who drank it - not me). Good fresh fruit some days, absent others. Great muffins and scones and we all liked the waffles (with whipped cream!) for the grandkids. We did not have occasion to use the manager's evening reception.

Workout room had good equipment, just wish other hotel guests had cleaned up their sweaty messes. Families enjoyed the pool with their young children. Tough for runners as there seemed to be no running trails, paths, parks, etc. nearby.

Not our best suite hotel experience, but certainly adequate for this holiday and the need for our family to have more space than a regular hotel room.

Employees were friendly but not well versed on normal guest questions - where is the nearest coffee shop? we need a walk-in clinic, what are their hours? how late is Giant Eagle open? The reply was usually to check the internet, which we could have done ourselves, but we were looking for advice from a local.

Hampton Inn adjacent to the hotel if that would fit your needs.

Room Tip: Agree with a previous poster - ask for a corner room. Don't expect a gourmet breakfast, but you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm torn on how to review this place. I'm a Marriott Platinum member but only a Hilton Gold member, and this is my first stay in a Homewood Suites. I was expecting it to be Hilton's version of The Residence Inn. Comparing the two, I would have to say that my preference leans heavily towards Marriot's extended stay option. I'm on night 2 of a 12 night stay.

Pros:
- The staff... super friendly with a smile on their faces 24/7.
- The grounds/hotel... all very clean and well kept.
- Cookies at front desk, similar to Doubletree. Simple, but a very nice touch.

Cons:
- I checked in on the day after the clocks rolled back. But none of the clocks in my room were adjusted to the new time. I was able to change the microwave clock but have had no luck changing the alarm clock - which is MUCH more important.
- 2 calls to the front desk for assistance went unanswered after 10+ rings.
- When I went to grab a fork out of the kitchen, I noticed that there was no silverware in the drawer. It was ALL in the dishwasher. Maybe it's clean, maybe it's not. Maybe it's their policy to leave the silverware in the dishwasher, although that seems very strange.
- Room is rather small for an extended stay. I paid for their larger room - a king one bedroom suite rather than a queen studio. It's not very spacious, and the mattress is more firm than I would like. The kitchen-ette is MUCH smaller than I'm used to at Residence Inn.
- No upgrade or mention of loyalty status. I always get complimentary upgrades at Marriott hotels and usually receive them at Hilton brands. Maybe these are the largest rooms at this hotel though.
- Breakfast options were minimal. I do appreciate the waffle maker, but I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Embassy Suites' breakfast. Oh well.

All in all, I'm pretty disappointed with this property/brand. I'm a huge fan of Embassy Suites, Conrads, and Hiltons but would probably skip Homewood Suites in the future if this is their standard offering. I'm here for a work conference and there are very few alternatives, so this might be the best extended stay option in the Solon, OH area. I would suggest that they get a better grasp on room preparation as I don't believe guests should be responsible for unloading the dishwasher and adjusting the clocks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
I appreciate the review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service. I have addressed these issues with our staff. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience a hopefully improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'm not sure what the previous negative reviews are all about. We stayed here for a full week in July. We were very impressed with the room's cleanliness and fresh feeling. They served a FULL dinner Monday through Thursday and breakfast daily. Most dinners were pretty good. We chose to skip the dinner only a couple of times and eat out, just because the menu didn't sound all that great for those days.

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite. I slept on the pull-out sofa bed and had fully expected to have miserable nights. However, I was so pleasantly surprised to find the couch extremely comfortable. It was thick and just soft enough. No bars sticking me in the back all night.

Our room had a refrigerator, stove-top and microwave. They provided popcorn and granola bars (if I'm recalling correctly) for the first night.

No complaints here. A pleasant, clean hotel with lots of perks (meals), friendly & helpful staff at a great price. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I love staying here. Its clean, the staff are friendly. The price includes wifi, breakfast, weekday dinner and you are staying in a suite - all for about $120. They have a small gym and pool and the office facilities (printer etc) are also included. The only drawback is there is nowhere to walk around this area and you have to have a car to get anywhere. The beds are comfortable but previous posts about the a/c can be true. A few colleagues who were staying at the same time said they could not get the system to cool the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Midwest City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I too like most Homewood Suites but was not pleased with my recent stay (September 1, 2012).
The mattress in our room was unacceptably worn out and uncomfortable. I'm not particularly picky about this, but it was just in quite excessively bad shape, and it was a sleepless night. We complained about this, but the person on duty did not seem very interested in "making it right" despite the Homewood Suites guarantee.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We apologize for the quality of services you received during your recent stay. We have reported the uncomfortable mattress in your guest suite to our maintenance team. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and apologize for not having it resolved sooner. We will replace the uncomfortable mattress and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you return to the area.

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon? Share your experiences!