“Nice Hotel but....” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sandusky, Ohio
“Nice Hotel but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel was nice, not exceptional, but nice and well kept. The front desk was friendly and helpful. The pool area was large though we did not use it.But..

The beds in our room were terrible and easily the worst I have experienced in a hotel. Our 17yr old said the same thing. As mentioned by another reviewer, the breakfast did not include healthy options like fruit or yogurt and the rest just wasn't that appealing to us so we headed off to a Panera Bread. There is a Bob Evans within walking distance though. Housekeeping did not arrive at our room until after 4 PM. It is always disappointing to walk into your room after a long day to see it just the way you left it. Overall, I don't think we will stay again. There are just too many options to pick from in this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
SouthEast, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for our trip to the Newport Aquarium and a Reds game. It was a nice hotel with a large indoor swimming pool and hot tub. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the swimming area. Hotel was clean and breakfast was typical 2-3 star free breakfast. Hot selections were waffles and biscuits and gravy. Breakfast area was large with plenty of seating. Short run to Newport and the Reds game. We were quite happy with our stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
westerville oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel is clean and close access to I75. Several nearby restaurants. The kids loved the pool, although the chlorine smell was overpowering. (are you testing the water?). Overall the breakfast was good, although they could use a few more healthy options which seem standard for your competitors- yogurt and fruit.
Several negatives- had to make two phone calls to the front desk to obtain bedding for the sofa bed. And at departure, I was given someone else's statement.
I would stay here again. Bed was decent and it was overall quiet. The train whistle did not bother me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Let me start by saying the hotel itself was pretty nice and clean so there was no problem there. My husband made the reservations on the phone and he asked TWICE if there were adjoining rooms since we have 4 kids, the answer was yes each time. The man on the phone was very nice and did everything else correct but not this, because when we checked in the front desk clerk informed me that they do not have adjoining rooms in the hotel. She seemed very short with me and wanted to rush me through check out even though they weren't busy at the time. I was trying to express that we had been promised adjoining rooms and she was just very matter of fact about not having them, never apologizing for the inconvenience or anything. the manager even walked up behind me and said only our suites have adjoining rooms, he didn't apologize or try to accommodate us for the poor information. So I asked the desk clerk how much the suites were and she said they vary in price and she didn't seem to want to tell me. So I said we may want to switch rooms because we want adjoining rooms. She said they would be $50 more per room and they really wouldn't want to switch both of our rooms. The manager never said another word and still no apology. We had originally planned on it only being me, my husband, and our 4 kids but thank goodness we invited my parents last minute because we would have had to split up or cancel our reservation after arriving. Our kids are too young to put in a room without an adult. That would have been horrible!!! We will never be coming back to this hotel for this reason. My husband wasn't there during check in because he had to come from work later so he called from his job after I told him what happened. he asked to be bumped up to suites for the same price for our inconvenience and he was then told that the suites weren't exactly "adjoining" they were just a king size bed in a bedroom area instead of 2 double beds. So that wouldn't help anyway. He spoke with the manager who was not exactly friendly to him either. the manager complained that he had already explained this to me at the desk when I checked in. He did no such thing, he only stated they had adjoining suites and he walked away. So since we did bring my parents we chose to stay and give it a try. the pool was nice but a little too cold, the hot tub was huge and nice and hot but had way too many chemicals in it. The pool area was not ventilated enough so 2 of our kids got sick and we had to go back to our rooms. We were on the 6th floor and it was hot in the room so we put the air conditioning on the lowest setting and the highest fan but it was still hot all night. The room was clean and the beds were okay, not great but I never expect great beds in a hotel. There was shampoo but no conditioner, no biggie. The breakfast was fantastic the next morning and fully stocked even towards the end when most places run out. So that was awesome.
The saddest thing about this is every winter we try to go to a hotel with an indoor pool so our kids can swim and this is the second year we had a poor experience. We went to a Holiday In Holidome in Perrysburg Ohio last year, drove 4 hours to get there, and it was the same thing....poor staff and not friendly or helpful. So this year we only drove 45 minutes to our hotel and it was still the same. We are trying to find a hotel that we can go to every winter as a tradition but finding one at a decent rate and good staffing is hard to find. I guess we will try yet another one next year and hope for the better. We are tired of being disappointed. Customer service should be top priority I these hotels. Maybe we need to try another state, even though we try to stay in Ohio.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Easy on and off 75 with several restaurants close by. Lots of grassy area to walk dog. Indoor pool great for kids at the end of a day in the car. Quiet for sleeping. Friendly, helpful staff.
North of the city of Cincinnatti so no rush hour in the morning to deal with.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a good place to stay. It's comfortable and clean. The service desk was friendly too. My 8-yr-old daughter liked the warm indoor swimming pool and spacious spa. I thought the coffee in the room was quite good.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Cincinnati Sharonville? Share your experiences!