“decent hotel poor front desk staff and reservations” 2 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Cincinnati Sharonville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11029 Dowlin Dr, Sharonville, OH 45241   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Sharonville
Williamsburg, Ohio
“decent hotel poor front desk staff and reservations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Let me start by saying the hotel itself was pretty nice and clean so there was no problem there. My husband made the reservations on the phone and he asked TWICE if there were adjoining rooms since we have 4 kids, the answer was yes each time. The man on the phone was very nice and did everything else correct but not this, because when we checked in the front desk clerk informed me that they do not have adjoining rooms in the hotel. She seemed very short with me and wanted to rush me through check out even though they weren't busy at the time. I was trying to express that we had been promised adjoining rooms and she was just very matter of fact about not having them, never apologizing for the inconvenience or anything. the manager even walked up behind me and said only our suites have adjoining rooms, he didn't apologize or try to accommodate us for the poor information. So I asked the desk clerk how much the suites were and she said they vary in price and she didn't seem to want to tell me. So I said we may want to switch rooms because we want adjoining rooms. She said they would be $50 more per room and they really wouldn't want to switch both of our rooms. The manager never said another word and still no apology. We had originally planned on it only being me, my husband, and our 4 kids but thank goodness we invited my parents last minute because we would have had to split up or cancel our reservation after arriving. Our kids are too young to put in a room without an adult. That would have been horrible!!! We will never be coming back to this hotel for this reason. My husband wasn't there during check in because he had to come from work later so he called from his job after I told him what happened. he asked to be bumped up to suites for the same price for our inconvenience and he was then told that the suites weren't exactly "adjoining" they were just a king size bed in a bedroom area instead of 2 double beds. So that wouldn't help anyway. He spoke with the manager who was not exactly friendly to him either. the manager complained that he had already explained this to me at the desk when I checked in. He did no such thing, he only stated they had adjoining suites and he walked away. So since we did bring my parents we chose to stay and give it a try. the pool was nice but a little too cold, the hot tub was huge and nice and hot but had way too many chemicals in it. The pool area was not ventilated enough so 2 of our kids got sick and we had to go back to our rooms. We were on the 6th floor and it was hot in the room so we put the air conditioning on the lowest setting and the highest fan but it was still hot all night. The room was clean and the beds were okay, not great but I never expect great beds in a hotel. There was shampoo but no conditioner, no biggie. The breakfast was fantastic the next morning and fully stocked even towards the end when most places run out. So that was awesome.
The saddest thing about this is every winter we try to go to a hotel with an indoor pool so our kids can swim and this is the second year we had a poor experience. We went to a Holiday In Holidome in Perrysburg Ohio last year, drove 4 hours to get there, and it was the same thing....poor staff and not friendly or helpful. So this year we only drove 45 minutes to our hotel and it was still the same. We are trying to find a hotel that we can go to every winter as a tradition but finding one at a decent rate and good staffing is hard to find. I guess we will try yet another one next year and hope for the better. We are tired of being disappointed. Customer service should be top priority I these hotels. Maybe we need to try another state, even though we try to stay in Ohio.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Easy on and off 75 with several restaurants close by. Lots of grassy area to walk dog. Indoor pool great for kids at the end of a day in the car. Quiet for sleeping. Friendly, helpful staff.
North of the city of Cincinnatti so no rush hour in the morning to deal with.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a good place to stay. It's comfortable and clean. The service desk was friendly too. My 8-yr-old daughter liked the warm indoor swimming pool and spacious spa. I thought the coffee in the room was quite good.

• Stayed March 2013
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We recently stayed for one night with our three kids, (5,4 & 1 years old). Loved the lay out of the two bedroom suite with both rooms having windows and not being located behind each other. Ideal for a family travelling with children, the kitchen area was sufficient, the fridge much bigger than those tiny mini bars in most hotels. There is also a small dining table with two chairs. The desk is large and the sleeper sofa would be great if travelling with older kids.

I like that there was an additional table with chair and mirror in front of the bathroom where the closet is to give us extra surface space just outside of the bathroom.

We had a pack’n play with us for the toddler and after we put the kids to bed, we could close the door and watch TV in the front room. Overall the hotel seemed pretty quiet. We could occasionally hear other guests in the hallway but were never disturbed by them. The full sized bed was plenty for our 4 & 5 year old to share, but I wish LaQuinta Inn would offer rooms with 2 queen beds. Not as spacious if you are used to a King sized bed …

Our request for a lower floor room facing away from the street as noted on our online reservation was honored.

We loved the large pool and hot tub. The pools seemed a little bit cool, but we are also used to the “warm” pool at our local Y, so it was probably heated sufficiently. Once the kids got moving around in it, they were not as cold anymore. I didn’t get a chance to work out, but the fitness center looked sufficient, nothing fancy, equipment a little bit dated, but ok.

The only problem we had was that upon check in on Thursday we were told that breakfast would be from 7-10 am the next morning. I came down early to get some juice around 7 am and found a very nice breakfast buffet with cereals, yogurt, bagels, juice and milk etc.. When we came down with the children shortly after 9 am, almost everything was gone. I asked the attendant if there was any food left and she told me that the buffet had closed at 9 am, that it's only on the weekends that it's open until 10 am. However there were some biscuits and gravy, sausage and eggs left and she brought us silver wear and plates so that we could still eat something. Thank you!

It would be nice if the hotel pool and fitness center could open at 6 or 7 am instead of 8 am during the week, that's too late for most people to work out before starting their day.

The bathroom seemed a little dated and could use some updating in the future but were overall sufficient.

Advice: book as early as possible, esp. since LQ lets you cancel until the same day for free. The rates went up considerably for our anticipated 2nd night stay (on a Fri) between my original hotel search and when I finally booked the hotel still more than 2 weeks in advance. When looking for a hotel in the Cincinnati area we chose this over the Hyatt Place because it was a true two room suite, otherwise the Hyatt Place was slightly cheaper and seemed to have nicer/ newer furniture. We had previously stayed at the Drury Inn and loved it but found that the pool was too cold and did therefore not return there.

Room Tip: elevators were quite slow to come, but after reading other reviews we requested a room on a lower fl...