“Wont need an alarm here.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of America's Best Value Inn Sandusky

You added America's Best Value Inn Sandusky to your Saves list
America's Best Value Inn Sandusky
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5608 Milan Road, Interstate 80/90 Exit 118, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter Savings-Save 15%
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
“Wont need an alarm here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My fiancé and I booked last minute for our yearly anniversary. At $70 a night..room was okay, we had the fire alarm go off at 12am and then again the next morning at 9am. Spiders in the room and the air conditioning left a musty smell on our clothes and bags. You get what you pay for at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I am very sorry for that you encountered problems with our fire alarm going off. That issue has been resolved but, nonetheless, I realize this was an inconvenience for you.

I'm also terribly sorry to hear that your room was not up to par. Although we are a budget-conscience hotel, there's never any reason to expect anything less than a clean, comfortable, safe stay when you're with us. We hope that you treat this as an isolated incident and give us the opportunity in the future to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sandusky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

When I saw this online it advertised for $122.00 per night. I booked for 2 nights but my husband had to have surgery on his foot so I immediately contacted you online and cancelled the second night. When I called you for my refund a phone center in the Philippians told me that they could only give me a $69.00 refund and hung up the phone on me when I asked for customer service in the United States. You owe me $122.00 plus tax in a refund. I called before the 24 hour deadline. I contacted my bank and they are doing an investigation of this. The next time I will deal directly with the hotel instead of dealing with easytobook.com.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us. Anytime that a guests books with a 3rd party (easytobook.com, hotels.com, etc.) we, at the hotel, are at the mercy of the deal that was struck between the guest and the 3rd party. We cannot make changes to a reservation--that has to be done by the guest with the 3rd party. The 3rd party will then confirm with us that it is permissible to cancel a reservation (as the 24 hour cancellation policy normally does not apply to 3rd party, pre-paid bookings). I am truly sorry that you've encountered this problem and I would urge you to book directly with us at the hotel next time or at least via the americasbestvalueinn.com website. Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I do hope you'll choose to stay with us again in the future under better circumstances.
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We had to leave the first room we were given because of the strong smell of smoke. The receptionist told us the entire motel was non-smoking but it didn't seem like an of the other occupants were aware of that. Our second room was better but I smelled smoke throughout the night (either from the balconies or from the adjoining room) and one of the bed sheets had a cigarette burn through it. Because of allergies, I have to have non-smoking rooms. This was very frustrating and we had already pre-paid and were forced to stay there due to intense thunderstorms. The breakfast could hardly be called that: some store bought low quality bagels and a vat of coffee. We opted to dine at Waffle House across the street. In her defense, the lady at the front desk was very sweet and very nice. She really should be working at a better place or charging smokers to have the rooms thoroughly cleaned if the rules are violated. I would never stay in this place or any of the chain's other locations because of this experience. There are too many other options.

Room Tip: Some of the second floor rooms have a balcony. Be aware that there is no elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm sorry that your experience fell short of what we expect for all all of our guests. We will obviously have to retrain our front office staff to better know our policies on smoking--as we do have smoking rooms available as is clearly stated on our website. However, that does NOT excuse a bed sheet having a cigarette burn in it. This is a simple fix that housekeeping should be aware of. Again, that issue will be addressed with our executive housekeeper to ensure that our staff are better trained with regard to what should and should not be put in rooms.

As we are a budget-conscience hotel property, we do not offer a full-spread continental breakfast that you might be used to at other branded hotels. However, that, in part, also accounts for the lower rates and we want our guests to make wise-informed decisions with regard to what is most important to them.
Chesterfield, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

While I understand this hotel is not required to offer amenities such a breakfast it still does not excuse the filth. I Checked in on 6/20 and was disgusted that while my room was ready the floors in the room looked as if they had not been vacuumed in a while. This was not an isolated problem because the room next door to mine was the same way. Also not one of the lamps in my room worked and everything was just dusty along with the AC unit that looked like it has never been clean.

The lobby had many loose tiles and everything looked like we were staying at an abandoned hotel. The website states you have a restaurant and clearly it has been closed for some time. The doors to the parking lot are not secured at night by room key entry.

When I checked out I asked forva comment card and the young man looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Also when I explained my issues with this establishment he pretty much said well we don't have a website so we don't advertise a restaurant. I then politely told him well that is how I made my reservation so yeah you have a website. I asked for the managers information and he said he didn't have it.

What kind of business does not have this information.

Lastly, after reading all of the replies from management on here its seems like you continue to focus on the "we are budget so we don't have to provide breakfast".

Being a budget hotel does not excuse filth, safety and security for your patrons.

Someone at the corporate level needs to really address these issues.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm VERY sorry that you encountered the problems that you identified in your review. I agree with you 100%--a budget hotel does should not translate into anything less than clean, comfortable, safe surroundings. Your comments have been forwarded to the executive housekeeper as well as our director of maintenance. I assure you that these problems will be address. Additionally, your comments clearly demonstrate that we need to do a better job of training our front desk staff on how to respond when customers bring issues to their attention. If a manager isn't present on the property, their business cards are always available to hand out to guests who ask. I assure you that I AM at the corporate level and the issues you raised have been resolved. I hope you give us an opportunity in the future to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement.
Springfield, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We checked in around noon on Saturday. Our room keys wouldn't work, at all, at any time. We ended up going to the front desk a total of 9 times to get into our room. We had to wait each time. The last time was when we came back for bed around mindnight, we had to wait for quite a while on someone to get back to the front desk, help others customers, answer phones... We should not have had to wait since we were already checked in and it was the hotels fault that we couldnt get into our room. They said the batteries were not good in the doors. It also happened to 2 other rooms, where our friends were staying. The beds are also terribly uncomfortable! Their were ducks, and duck poop in the pool. Restaurant was shut down. Looked like it had been abandoned. No secure entries.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm really very sorry for the issues you had with your key. This SHOULD NOT have happened. After one or two key problems, you should have been promptly moved to another room if we couldn't address the lock issue.

It is also true that we recently had some problems with the food service vendor in this location and are currently working to resolve that issue and open a new FANTASTIC dining option for our guests. We hope that you treat this as an isolated situation and give us the opportunity to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement. This is our goal each and every day!
Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Smelled disgusting! Nothing was plugged in! Cable was ripped out of the wall! The places was filthy! We asked for extra pillows and blankets - never received them! The pillows in the room were hard as a rock!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm very disappointed to hear that we weren't able to meet (or exceed) all of your expectations. We're constantly trying to refine and improve our product and services and your letting us know specific issues you had during your stay will help in our efforts. As you've seen, we've had a lot of positive comments also, so I'd ask that you might consider this an isolated incident and give us another shot in the future to prove to you that we are very serious about continuous quality improvement.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a good experience at America's Best Value Inn and Suites. Nothing really Fancy but after a day at Cedar Point we really wasn't looking to do much else but sleep. They have nice rooms that where clean, Beds that are comfortable, Endless HOT showers and a GREAT staff was VERY helpful. Cost was really good and with Walmart being right behind it made it a little more appealing. Pool was clean refreshing. Breakfast left a lot to be desired. Lots of places to eat and also shop with the Sandusky mall being right down the road a piece.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your overwhelmingly positive rating and review of your recent stay with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all of our great amenities. We are working diligently to improve our breakfast selection so your comment regarding that was heard loud and clear.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Been to America's Best Value Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!