“Not what I booked.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of America's Best Value Inn Sandusky

Save Saved
You added America's Best Value Inn Sandusky to your Saves list
America's Best Value Inn Sandusky
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5608 Milan Road, Interstate 80/90 Exit 118, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Wichita, Kansas, United States
“Not what I booked.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I booked a king room.. When I arrived, they only had rooms with two double beds left. Working in a hotel, we would normally upgrade the guest to the next room up, but I dont believe they have any larger rooms than a standard. In this case, I was actually charged a higher price for the room because there were two beds. I was unhappy and nobody seemed to care.

I don't feel as though I should be charged more for a second bed I won't use, especially on a romantic getaway when a double size bed just made things uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your stay with us. I'm sorry that the room you received was not what you originally booked--and you are correct, the only room types that we have at this property are rooms with two double beds or rooms with king-sized beds. However, we do not charge based on the number of beds in the room.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you'll give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The place is really dated, but its incredibly cheap!!

For spending the weekend at Cedar Point this is a great Hotel. Yes its a bit farther out, but its an easy drive, maybe 20 minutes to the park, and you pass a McDonald's and a Starbucks, and Sonic is in the same parking lot. If all you're doing is sleeping, then this is a great place for it.

As I said incredibly cheap. The beds are comfy, they have fluffy pillows and mini fridges. There is a restaurant and a bar in the place, but I haven't gotten to try them out yet. They also don't have a continental breakfast. If you're checking in late at night there seems to ever only be one person at the front, and if you need housekeeping items (extra towels or toiletries) you need to go to the front desk as well. But they will get you what you need in a decent manner, once the line goes away. They'll even bring it to you so you don't have to wait.

it's relatively quiet and there's no parking issues. And again, did I mention its way cheap!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thanks for your candid and thorough review of your recent stay at our hotel. We're glad that you found value in the accommodations and amenities and that your stay was enjoyable. I'm particularly happy to hear that our staff was attentive to your needs and that they helped relay the importance we place on top-notch customer service. We hope you choose to stay with us again, should future travels bring you our way!
Eastlake, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed after shooting a wedding at kalahari (we are photographers) and wanted to go to Cedar Point the next day. Well, they have no elevators so we had to haul everything upstairs, which sucked. The whole hallway reeked like marijuana & the cleaning staff looked as scrubby as the hallways. The guy at the desk was nice. The lobby is VERY deceiving. When you walk in, you think you are in a nice hotel that is high class & when you hit the hallways and stairs... the reality of the lack luster & old feeling building are apparent. The ice machine was old too but it worked. It was nothing special but it was cheap, so it worked for one night. We did say however, that next time it would be worth it to spend some extra money for a high class hotel. It works if you are on a tight budget...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello and thank you for relating your recent experience at our hotel. Although not the stellar review that we'd like to hear, I'm appreciative of the comments as they help us to better understand where to concentrate our resources. I AM,however, glad that you found the rates to be acceptable and it sounds as if you found value in your stay.

As I said before, your comments will help us to make continuous improvements to our property as we take ALL comments--good and bad--very seriously and want to have every customer's expectations exceeded.

Please try us again--I know you'll be pleasantly surprised with our improvements! Until then, safe travels!
Lakewood, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Myself & my husband just got back from 2 nights here. I gave it a very good rating only based on you get what you pay for. When we got there it was an hour before check in, the girl at the desk was more than friendly & helpful getting us in an hour early. Our room was clean & so was the bathroom, with plenty of towels even shampoo & hair dryer. The room had a safe in it large enough for my iPad & purse. The bed was comfortable, (ask for extra pillow, only had 3 & I use 2) . The tv was outdated, but it had all the channels & it worked so what more do you want. The Roadhouse located In the hotel was great, the food was delicious. The location was terrific. So all in all it was nice. If you want the Ritz go pay for it !!! This is not it, nor do they charge like it is!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you, very much, for writing a positive and candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your finding value in patronizing our establishment and are very glad to hear that you found the accommodations more than satisfying.

We look forward to welcoming you back again during a future visit to our area!
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

After reading the reviews on this the hotel my wifey and I did not want to stay 3 nights in such a place. However we decide to try it out anyways and it was not as bad as the reviews we read. We were not looking for a Five Star Hotel so we got what we paid for. The main reason for the stay was Cedar Point Amusement Park therefore we were barely in the room. Our room & bathroom was clean, the few hours we did sleep in the bed we had NO problems. When we stay in budget hotels we bring our own towels, personals, pillows and sheets just a habit. As I mention before we got what we paid for a place to store our luggage, hot shower and a bed to crash in after hours and hours fun at Cedar Point. Now if you want to getaway and relax like the comfort of your home choose a Five Star Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't compare Budget Hotels with Five Star Hotels
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write an, overall, positive review of your recent stay at our ABVI. I'm glad that you found value in the money that you spent for your lodging needs and that we were able to provide safe, clean, comfortable accommodations to you and your family. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you to our area in the future!
Chatham, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Checked into first room and it was dirty,window sill had cig ashes on it (non-smoking room) mold on bathroom wall and cieling,dirty towels,not vaccumed.Second room was no better. Not even sure if the doors around the back where we parked locked at all during the night we just walked in. Kids swam in pool and found empty medicine bottles laying around, also pool in need of closing and overhaul.This place can be geared to the budget guest but it does not take alot to be clean. Immediatley checked out and found another place that night - will never be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
I am extremely disappointed to hear of your recent encounter with our hotel. As a seasonal property, we have to work very hard with our seasonal staff to ensure that they understand the quality standards that we want to impart to all of our guests. Although this is a continual process, we believe that our standards have improved (as evidenced by other good comments about our property). Please treat this as an isolated incident and give us another opportunity in the future to prove our continual committment to quality and guest satisfaction!
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here after a long, long day at Cedar Point. Rates and location from Cedar Point and the highway are very convenient. I was so bummed to get into our room (2 doubles) and find Trent tiny, very hard beds. After a day where your body is sore and exhausted, you hope to relax in a little softness. Not here. Room was very clean and everything else fine but I tossed on that bed the whole night.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry that you did not find the beds to your liking. Unfortunately, this is an area that we get some complaints but, by-and-large, we get a lot of compliments as well. The firmness or softness of a bed is definitely a personal preference--and I'm sorry that it didn't meet your needs. I AM glad to see that you pointed out that, other than the firmness of the bed, the room was clean and comfortable. That's evidence that our housekeeping staff continues to improve and that we are focused on providing a clean, comfortable, safe environment for all of our guests. We hope you'll choose to stay with us in the future if your travels bring you our way again!

Been to America's Best Value Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!