“"Unfriendly staff"” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
ELIDA, OHIO
“"Unfriendly staff"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Front desk staff wasn't very attentive during check in. The only plus was that our room was ready early. This could be due to them not being very busy. Wasn't much to do for our kids as they are older. Same for the parents. Park itself looks very well maintained but not overly clean. No one working wanted to be there. Never saw a single smile out of anyone! Worst thing was our friends with use had a purse and other items stolen off their chair, Yes they shouldnt have left it there but had it all covered up with towels and not very busy with people. Within 20 minutes it was picked up, emptied and turned into the check in station empty. Attendant wasnt sure who turned it in. Just watch your stuff as they have staff come around and pick up dirty towels off the floor (and apparently off of chairs as well right about shift change!!) Security is handling but hotel management could care less. Will never go back!!

Room Tip: Dont pay for anything until after you take a look at the room you are being given.

573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had an amazing time at cast away. I recommend this to anyone with young kids. We have a three year old and there was so much to do. It is a fun family environment and the service is really top notch. They have a really good staff here! The prices are amazing also and if you want some lunch at a reasonable price go to big Daddy's in the water park. Even the Starbucks at Ebb and Eddys is decent in price.

• Stayed April 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed for two days and the experience was great. The staff was very nice and friendly. Housekeeping came around in the morning and evening to see if we needed anything. We had the family fun package and it was great. Two kids eat free per one adult entree which was a great addition to our trip. This place is very kid friendly. They had an arcade, crafts and karaoke. There were a lot of activities available for the kids. There is also a bowling alley, mall and movie cinema near by. This was a trip well worth it.

Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is NOT a $350 a night worthy hotel and water park. Rooms are very basic, customer service lacks greatly and the hotel is not maintained in a manner that warrants $350 a night. On our arrival, we were informed that they had overbooked the waterpark which made things extremely crowded and very long lines. Most events were disorganized, ran short on supplies and promised items YOU pay for up front. No offers of reparations. The staff are poorly trained and do not exemplify the expectations for a water park and hotel in this price range. the beds are old and very squeaky, At BEST, this is a $75 - $150 a night hotel. Save your money.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an upgraded room, there's no difference.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Upon check in, I had a question about a birthday party. The young lady told me We could sign up for a club for next year. I told her we wanted to do something this year. She repeated her self. Faster. I attempted to clarify. She interrupted me, and did it again. I tried a third time, she did it again, and stared at me.

We went to the waterpark. Three - three - workers yelled at my kids. For not hurrying up ...

I made a reservation for 5 people. The room fit 4. I called and asked for a rollaway bed. I got the same young lady. I told her I needed a rollaway bed. She said thsre werent any available, and my room only fits 4. I told her I paid for a room for 5. She interrupted and said my room only fits four. I tried another approach, and she did the interrupting repeating herself thing again ... This time "we don't have any rollaway beds available ..."

So, I'm here on vacation for my sons birthday party, about to sleep on a disgusting and hard floor. I don't go to work every day and pay these people $300 to be treated like this.

• Stayed April 2013
Waterford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Rooms are pretty basic. We've had rooms on the water side (faces the Point) and on the parking lot side. Neither are really very scenic, especially through the screen in balcony. The lobby is decorated cute with a pirate ship and talking/singing parrots, etc. The gift shop is nice as well. We've been here a few times and we would always get the breakfast buffet, but this time I was disappointed that they took out the omelet and in its place was an extra table. That was my favorite part of the buffet.

Room Tip: Truthfully we just go for the basic room because we spend the majority of our time at the waterpark...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I too, was concerned with the overwhelming amount of negative reviews. However, our adventure was pretty good over all. We stayed in a typhoon suite (1 king bed & 2 sets of bunk beds). The room, bedding, mattresses, fixture are dated. I don't think I could handle sleeping on that matteress for more than one night!!! We also had no problems with the staff or the cleanliness of the building. Our kids 6 & 3 totally enjoyed the waterpark. Lifeguards were on point & very helpful in showing us were the lifevest for each of our girls were. The hotel also offers nightly entertainment for the kids. We did kid karaoke & dance party the night of our arrival. Which included a visit from Snoopy & Charlie Brown. The following morning we had craft time coloring t-shirts & backpacks with a visit from Lucy. Overall, great time... Kids exhausted !!! Wished the bedding was better. We will try it again!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Castaway Bay Resort? Share your experiences!