“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

2001 Cleveland Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #6 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here during winter break-- got the largest room- flamingo suite- and was very disappointed for the value for our money. First off- our king bed was completely sagging in the middle- there was no middle support and tbey were unable to fix it:( secondly, they placed queen sheets that were too small on the bed, thus exposing the mattress; the sofa in the main area is past its lifespan- completely sagging in the front as cushions collapse and the pullout sofa is in sad shape as well. The manager was able to adjust our rate and was very understanding so that was a positive. The waterpark was a nice size for the 3 kids that are from 8-11 years old. Overall, ok place- seems outdated and staff isn't too friendly ; i was expecting the same quality as great wolf lodge.

• Stayed February 2013

613 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Overall it was OK. Smallish waterpark, but good enough for us. Stayed in a Starfish room and it was clean and adequate. Only had 2 issues. So many kids swallowing water and gagging and choking and basically puking it up into the pools - nasty. And the idiots across the hall from us (large group of mulitple families) let their kids run the halls screaming and slamming doors from 11 until midnight. Took TWO calls to the desk to have them send someone up to tell them to shut up. Not really the fault of the hotel that people have HORRIBLE parenting skills these days though...

Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Traveled there with my daughter and two teenage boys..They had alot of fun in the water park but was disappointed with the arcade. Alot of the games weren't working and the ones that were you couldn't get tokens for. Room was okay, could of been cleaned better, found paper and hair bands from previous people, but i've seen worse. Would I go back?? Yes..Would I recommend to a friend?? Yes.. Ate at TGIF and it was terrible..food poor quality and service was below average..

New Philadelphia, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent February 16-17 2013 at Castaway Bay and we had a blast. The room was clean and comforatable, the staff was great and there were plenty of activities for our kids. We would recommend this resort!

Room Tip: The bay view was nice.
orrville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was our first time to visit castaway bay. We won't be going back. Several members of the front desk staff were very rude and not helpful at all and literally walked away from me before I was done speaking and/or asking questions. The arcade staff were the same way. For the amount of money we spent one would like to be treated with a little more respect.

Fairmont, West Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The kids loved it..... we paid 334.00 for the starfish room :/ and it was rather small for that price but the waterpark was great probably for children up to ages 12 or 13 ...... The lady at the front desk rushed me through check-in so I was shorted 2 wrist bands and I wasn't given my coupons but after calling about the issues I was given the two wrist bands for free and a roll away bed for free which in all saved me 25 dollars.........They need to upgrade the activities they have for the children........But Overall it was our family's first indoor waterpark resort and I think it was a nice one to start with .....I notice everything so there is a few more details I could post but I believe the experience over shadowed a few minor flaws!

Garrettsville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about the trip we just had at Castaway Bay. I just returned home last night, and could not wait to write my review. I had spent the last week reading all of the bad reviews on here, and I was worried about our trip. A friend of mine told me that out of all the waterparks in Sandusky, that this was her favorite for small kids. I was pleasantly surprised with every aspect of our trip. I found the front dest people to be friendly and helpful. We got to the park at noon, even though check-in wasn't until four, so that we could swim early with the kids. Upon checking in, the attendant told us our room was not yet ready, however a minute later she said, "actually your room just popped up as done, so i can check you in now." Wonderful as we drove a little over two hours to get there. The room itself if small. We have stayed at many resorts in the past with our kids, and I agree that the rooms are a little dated looking, however, they were very clean. No mold or mildew, no odor. Our room did have a flat screen T.V., a Fridge, and a microwave. It was just big enough for us, and we arent there to spend tons of time in the room anyway. The park itself was my kids dream come true. The lifegaurds are super attentive and friendly. My children are 9, 6, and 3. After Dad chasing the big ones around, and me chasing the three year old, we finally let the 9 and 6 year old run around and do their thing. They had tons of fun. We had chairs that were located so that they could find us at all times, and we got to watch our son climb and go down the slides like a pro. My two girls (9, 6) rode the water coaster 35 times! I think the temperature was just right for the park. at times there was a little draft, but if the kids got cold then we went intot he hot tub as a family. The kids got a huge kick out of sitting in the snow in the hot tub. Then after a few minutes they were off and running again. All day, there are family activities around different parts of the hotel. The first day, dad took the kids to the lobby for a break and balloon animals...They then went to the arcade and got a twently dollar card for the arcade which occupied our kids for almost an hour. After returning to the room, we wanted to go to dinner. I thought that TGI Fridays was a little high priced for us (8 dollar kids meals for little kids who don't eat a lot is high) and it was packed inside, so we took a little drive and at out somewhere else ( a ten minute drive delivers you to everything you could want to eat). We made it back in time for kids karaoke and dance party...lol...tons of fun. The karaoke does not have tons of songs to pick from, but the songs are totally appropriate for the kids. They even let my little on stand up and sing his "abs's" into the mic. Some of the peanuts gang showed up to cheer the kids on and dance...(charlie brown, and lucy) and The dance party immidiately follows the karaoke, they turn the lights down and put on little dancing party lights, they blast some kids bop songs, and let the kids blow of steam. This was perfect, all of my kids had a blast, and it gave my girls a perfect opportunity to meet other little girls their age at the resort. On a side not, the girl who runs the kids activities (Her name is Emily) would be hard to beat. She remembered my kids by name, laughed and joked with them, danced with them at the dance party, and addressed them in the resort every time she saw them, she made them feel very special! and she did a wonderful job at her job. She sang with the kids who were too shy to sing in the mic, she danced at the dance party, even got lucy doing gangham style with some resort members on the stage! After the dance party, They do a movie and bedtime stories with snoopy, however my kids opted to use this last hour to go back to the waterpark (they were open till ten) and we were pleased that we did...it was virtually empty! kids did not have to wait in line for anything, and got to run off the last of their steam before bed. They slept like rocks that night! The second day was much the same as the first. The daily activity was face painting in the lobby (again, Emily did the activity) They also had color your own backpacks for 5 dollars, tshirts for 10 and nice beach towels for 15 in the club castaway. i let the kids color a backpack, and it took a good hour, and they turned out really nice. this is a very nice inexpensive activity for the kids to do! We again ate off the property, and came back to spend five hours in the water park..we tied the night up again with the karaoke and dance party (kids begged) and then headed for home! I have no complaints..everyone was very friendly and helpful. Every time i asked a question, i had it answered correctly and with no problems. Saturday (our last day there) was super busy and very packed, and yet the lines were only a fifteen minute wait, the lifeguard handled it very well, kid were stll able to run around and have fun..all in all...an A1 time...i will be going back, and can't wait to book our next trip!

Room Tip: Starfish room is very small, but you need to ask yourself how much time are you going to spend in th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Castaway Bay Resort? Share your experiences!