“Thankfully I was exhausted and didn't care after a day at the park....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1932 Cleveland Rd/I-80/90, Opposite Cedar Point Entrance, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #27 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
“Thankfully I was exhausted and didn't care after a day at the park....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Seriously had I checked in before being at Cedar Point all day I would have found a different hotel. It hadn't been swept and if it had been then I'm really scared. I was so grossed out I check for bedbugs and slept on top of the sheet. Thankful that I had a blanket in my car. It's cheap so if you are looking for something cheap and close to the park and don't mind a very dated, semi dirty hotel then this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Inn Sandusky Cedar Point Entrance for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bedbugs, instructed to look into the matter and see to any needed extermination.

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.|

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Inn Sandusky Cedar Point Entrance. I think you will be greatly pleased.

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

First off, I have been in the hospitality industry for 7 years as both housekeeping and front desk(including a Wyndham brand hotel) and others. I have worked for both 2+ star hotels & 5 star hotels. It doesn't matter the price you pay for lodging, you are still entitled to a clean room. We chose to save money and try the Howard Johnson hotel on Cleveland Rd by Cedar Point. The room we checked into was older, but what has me upset is the cleanliness. My first instinct is to check the bed. The sheets were not changed between guests (the oldest trick in the book by housekeepers that could care less) indictive of the wrinkles and various body hairs on top of the fitted sheet. Second, the room was not vaccuumed. Before taking a shower, a good amount of hair still remained around the drain in the tub. The remote for the T.V. did not work, but I could have gotten over that, since the buttons on the T.V. were still in operation. Lastly, the dead bolt for the adjoining door was very loose; with the screw hanging out of the mechanics. Cleanliness and disrepair seem to plague this hotel. Let it be noted that I did give this hotel a chance; and did not read any of the reviews until after I had stayed. It seems this hotel has a poor track record for problems. Along with negatives, there are some positives. The towels were plentiful and clean, there was a safe in the room, and the front desk staff were respectable. I was asked if I wanted to move to a new room; but this would most likely presented another room without much improvement. There is a saying. Once a guest finds something wrong with the room, they will scruitinize the rest of the room and find more problems. We did not feel like finding a different hotel at such short notice, as well as packing up our belongings and relocacting to a different room. I asked for clean sheets so I could put them on the bed myself. I informed both the afternoon front desk and the morning front desk of the problems experienced, and neither of them offered a discounted room/money off of the room due to the problems. After working for 5 years as a front desk clerk, it is imparative that you take care of your guests, even if it means giving money back for several problems. This only weakens my opinions about the Howard Johnson brand. I understand that conditions may not always be negative, but upon trips to Cedar Point, I have stayed at the La Quinta down the street, and out of the four times we have stayed there, we stayed in all different kinds of rooms and never found a problem. Take them as a model to strive for.

Room Tip: Before unpacking, check your room first. Ask to be located on the side opposite of the hotel next d...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. They also were instructed to see to it that rooms were properly cleaned before being released as ready for occupancy.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of remote and dead bolt in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to the necessary repairs.

• Front desk were informed about the nice comment you made for the service which they have offered.

Arcadia, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We booked this hotel for a weekend stay to go to Cedar Point. It was cheap, which was good since Cedar Point expenses are quite pricey. However, there was hair in the shower/bath tub. This was not my MAIN concern. I understand you get what you paid for, however there is absolutely NO reason why this should of happened. After being at the park all day, we return to our room late and while digging for our room key, we realize the door was left open. We immediately go in and realize room service had been in to replenish our towels, etc. This was very unsettling considering we had valuable belongings in our room. We were at the park for 12 hours, therefore the door was left open all day. We didn't return until around 11:30 PM. Nothing was missing, however the thought of things/money possibly getting stolen is very unsettling. We should not have to worry about the staff at these hotels not securely closing the doors behind them when they leave.

Just beware of the staff when staying at this hotel. I would hate to see someones personal belongings or purses actually be gone because of careless workers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

• Management and security staff were advised of your report that room which was allotted to you was kept opened in your absence.

Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have never been more disappointed or disgusted by the state of a hotel room. After checking in late on the evening of Monday, August 13th 2012, we soon discovered an unclean room. There were countless flies, mosquitoes and spiders along the walls and ceiling, and large spider webs right beside the front door. The inside of the microwave was dirty, there was hair in the bathtub, and stains on the bed sheets. The front desk was very apathetic to our complaints, explaining to us that there was no other room available for the night and that there was no cleaning staff still on duty. Instead of apologizing or trying to remedy the situation, she instead went into the back room on her cell phone, and came out with a bottle of cleaning supply and rags for us to clean up ourselves. With no other option, we took the bottle and headed back to our room.

We decided to call Expedia to see if we could cancel our reservation and receive a refund. They called the front desk and the woman working, Sammy, refused to issue a refund. Thank fully there was a shift change and a new employee was working the desk, who agreed to refund our reservation if we wanted to call Expedia back. This was after letting us see a new room, one we were told was not available by the previous desk clerk, which was also covered in spiders.

I’ve stayed in Howard Johnson hotels before, and while I understand that it is a discount hotel, to find bugs crawling up the walls and the ceiling is entirely unacceptable, even more so the treatment that we received from the front desk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson for your recent stay and the review.

We apologize for the experience whatever as you have mentioned.

Upon receiving your guest review we immediately took the following steps.

1. Maintenance was informed of the report of roaches and ordered to do a through inspection of the premises. Professional exterminators will be called upon if needed.

2. The desk clerk has received retraining in the proper way to treat the guests and rendering the finest hospitality.

3. The housekeeping staff has received extra training in keeping the rooms clean and amenities as required by the standards which we require of them.

We are confident that you will find an all new experience with us and would invite to choose us for the next stay while you visit our area.

Columbia City, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have stayed at this location before and have only had a few small problems. I made a reservation for 8/1/12 to 8/2/12. Things came up so I modified the reservation, ONLINE on the Howard Johnson website, for 8/8/12 to 8/9/12. I made this change before the date in the cancellation policy. I then ended up cancelling my reservations all together and did so before the date in the new cancellation policy. I was then still charged for my reservation on 8/1/12. I called this hotel to see what was going on. First of all, the manager had no record of my reservation until she checked a "checked out" list. I was never there. I then gave her my cancellation number and she told me that was for the 8/8/12 stay. She said I never modified my reservation, I just added one a week later and she would not refund my money. She said there should be a CANCELLATION confirmation number for the reservation change even though I MODIFED my reservation, not cancelled it. I did not receive a cancellation number for that one so therefore, I was not getting my money back. This woman was so rude and very eager to get off the phone with me she didn't even let me speak before she hung up. I will never again do business with Howard Johnson for ANY reason! Horrible hotel, horrible manager, horrible website!

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing us for your stay during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate your review.

We have checked and corrected our reservation system so that an unlikely incidence like that you mentioned is never repeated.

The hotel staff has been trained to treat the guest with a high degree of hospitality and care.

Thank you so much for bringing this matter to our attention. It is guests like you who help us to be sure that the standards we set for our establishment are being maintained.

I hope that you will change your opinion and choose us the next time you stay with us.

Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel had the worst carpet I have ever been witness to. The carpet turned my 14 year old niece's feet black within 10 minutes of being there. The lady at the front counter had to call the manager again with another customer complaint. We were informed that they would let us cancel our second night’s stay but we had to pay for that night even though we checked out and went to the South Shore Inn about two blocks away from the HoJo. What a joke that place is location is the only thing it has other than that stay away or wear a full jump suit and boots to sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you found everything to be so nice for the most part.

We thank and appreciating your review .

We have investigated the entire incident as mentioned by you. The hotel front office staff and the house keeping staff have been given special training to ensure that our guests never have another such experience however unlikely it may be.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at our hotel. You shall be greatly pleased.

Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

First off, I would like to point out that I have always been a fan of the Howard Johnson chain- until now. My friend and I bought the 2 day ride and slide package at cedar point so we looked on expedia for hotel/motels around the park to stay at for the night. The Howard Johnson appeared to be a fantastic price and in a great location- and since my past experiences at this chain in other locations were relatively good, we chose there. The outside of the building seemed "okay"...not really like the pictures and even though the location was right across the cedar point entrance.. it was still in a sketchy area. The inside of the room was very simple. It took a few minutes to get the lights to work. The air conditioner smelled like it was burning. The beds were okay- meaning no bed bugs. BUT there were insects and spiders ALL OVER THE WALLS and flies were everywhere. We went to speak with the desk clerk to see if we can switch rooms or have someone clean the room and she rudely denied to have either one done, instead she threw us a bottle of cleaning solution and a few rags to do it ourselves. After calling expedia to try and get a refund, the desk clerk refused the refund. LUCKILY a new desk clerk came on shift and allowed the refund after an hour. Before we left we were allowed to look at another room to see if it was any better and it wasnt- the other room was worse with no working lights and bugs everywhere as well. Other guests were complaining of dirty rooms as well. We were able to get a last minute room at the MAUI SANDS hotel up the road for roughly 45 dollars more which included a family suite ( king bed + four bunk beds and 2 rooms) it was a gorgeous hotel with a water park inside.. for another 45 bucks you can a much better, bug-less hotel. it is worth it. Even though this hotel has a great location.. it is NOT worth it... go up the road and you can find tons of better hotels i promise. It was such a bad experience that a formal complaint was given to the Howard Johnson. Terrible rooms and even worse hotel services. not worth your money.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the problem with the A/C and instructed to look into any necessary repair or replacement.

• The front desk staff received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guest.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bugs and instructed to see to any necessary extermination.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Howard Johnson Inn -Sandusky Park N Entrance? Share your experiences!