“A unique stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Lima, OH
“A unique stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

stayed at the maple because tripadvisor had it ranked 2nd most popular. am i the only person that noticed the trains going by every 15-20 minutes.. no joke. steve, owner's son, sent the four teenage boys with me on a nature walk that they enjoyed. very personal touch. rooms were small but fine for one or two people, powerful showers. clean place. pool was supposed to be heated but it wasn't. good value for the money. i would go again.

• Liked — the family owned touched
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
detroit, michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

When I called for directions - they referred to my name & said we're waiting on you! WOW, very touching! Because we stayed @ Cedar Point til 12a & was worn out, we did not hear the trains. The rooms are very very very clean- upon check-in, they will inform you that it is not a high class hotel. But we knew what we were getting into prior to coming. The other reviews helped out a lot & so did the PRICE! We only enjoyed the room for 9 hours (most of which were sleep hours-lol) and it was well worth it!!!!!!!

• Liked — cleanliness & very hospitable
  • Disliked — bed was a little hard for me
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Downriver, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

The owners were the best part about this place, wonderful helpful people - gotta love it. The place was located in an awesome part of town with a quaint feel. The pool was spectularly clean and a delight. The old feel of the motel was a breath of fresh air.

The rooms need updating. I didn't mind the old furniture or the old lamps or the key access or the 1950's tile in the bathroom - the rooms were clean - but the carpet needed to be updated.

The tv's were truly ancient.

If you plan on playing at the park until midnight and dropping to your bed, wake up and get out the door- this is the place for you.

If you are on a budget and need a place to sleep - I recommend it HIGHLY.

If service is important to you, this is the place to be.

IF ONLY, they would charge just a little more and update the carpet/tv's - I would gladly stay here anytime.

• Liked — the owners - awesome friendly people
  • Disliked — the carpet (smell) and the ancient tv's
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ulster Park, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

How is this place rated so highly on this site? I want to be fair about my review. I got exactly what I paid for. $48 per night bought me a trip back in time.

The good stuff:

If you want to experience the life of a traveler during the 50's, stay here. Kids, this is what life was like before the interstate was built and corporate motels littered every exit ramp. This place is ultra-quaint. Indeed, huge maple trees adorn the property. The sign glowingly announces the advent of color TV. The pool is crisp, clean and free of restrictions. It's open until 11:00 PM, yippy! Cute benches line the sidewalks. Wonderful people own the motel and wait in their home off to the side just waiting to help. The final touch is that the place is surrounded by tall cornfields on three sides. It sounds good, right?

The bad stuff:

This place is OLD, and so is everything within. The furniture is old. The beds are old, saggy and lumpy. The lamps are antiques and a little scary. The TV, dim. The walls, old 50's paneling that bends when pressed. The smell, Grandma's attic. The room was very clean, the bathroom gleaming, but I don't know that anything in the room has ever been updated. I truly is like a museum with a mini-fridge.

Aside from the much-discussed trains (they blow their whistle directly in front of the motel) I have no complaints. The price was right, the experience was priceless, but I was so glad to spend $76 for a Red Roof Inn our next stop.

This really is a nice little place, if only they could charge a little more and update the rooms it would be delightful.

• Liked — The pool, the owners, it's proximity to Cedar Point.
  • Disliked — The beds.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

We stayed 2 nights at the Maples Motel when we visited Cedar Point last week.

We wanted a place to stay that was clean and cheap...hard to find these days. We selected this hotel, as many do, based on reviews here on TA.

The owners were great - gave my boys basketballs right away and told us the pool could stay open as long as we'd like. We stayed in a family room...2 rooms with an adjoining room. Both rooms came with a double bed and a rollaway, so we all our own beds. Both rooms had air conditioners and one had a small fridge. Free doughnuts and coffee in the morning was a plus. The owners even gave us Pepsi cans for the $8.00 off coupon per ticket...so we haved $32.00!

Now this is NOT the a fancy hotel...the motel IS old...and it shows. I'll be honest, I didn't sleep under the covers...saw some hairs on the sheets when I pulled them back and grabbed the sleeping bag from the van and slept on top of the sheets instead. Not overly clean...but doable for $65.00 a night...with 4 beds, a fridge and a hot shower in the morning. We had in years past stayed at Campers Village and this beats that hands down.

Listen, the trains are loud...and woke every one in my family, even after 8 hours of rides at Cedar Point. My husband woke every time...even with ear plugs. My boys (13 and 10) woke in the morning and the first thing out of their mouths was how many trains they had heard thoughout the night. I however, slept with a fan in high right next to my head and didn't hear a thing. : )

The owners are great - rooms are somewhat clean - and it's a cheap place to stay if you're headed to Cedar Point. We would stay here again..and we'd make sure to all bring a loud fan...one for each of us!

• Liked — It's cheap and the owners were VERY friendly!!
  • Disliked — TRAINS, TRAINS, and yet....MORE TRAINS!
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

We booked the Maples after reading reviews on this site.
We were supposed to have the bigger room with the twin beds, double bed and then a pull out in the front, but when we arrived, we instead were given 2 adjoining rooms which worked out even better!! We had 2 bathrooms and 2 tvs for us to use so it was great!! And they gave the two rooms to us for the same price as the one would have cost-really nice of them.
The owners are great, very helpful and our kids enjoyed the pool and wandering around in the fields around the area, when we weren't at Cedar Point.
Yes, the trains do go by ALOT!! But if you are going to Cedar Point all day, you don't hear a thing at night. I am a very light sleeper and just heard the trains the first night-was too tired to hear them the rest of the nights we stayed. You can always get earplugs at the front desk.
We brought our own pillows which I think helped alot with our sleeping-the beds we had were pretty comfy, we thought.
Coffee and donuts were great in the morning. We got to know some of the people in other rooms, which was fun as well.
The rooms were kept clean and everyone was really nice there.
If you want a no nonsense place to stay this is it-I would recommend it to people heading to Cedar point.

• Liked — Close to Cedar Point, the price
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

I decided to stay here, based on several reviews and also being tired of paying the ridiculous prices to stay on Cedar Point property.
Upon arriving I was very impressed. We arrived early (10:00am) and were very pleased that we were able to check-in as our rooms were ready. This really helped to be able to unload everything before heading into the park. We booked a "family"room which consists of a front bedroom and a back bedroom. The front has a double bed and the back has a double and 2 twins. The place is definitly outdated and could use some nicer bedding at the minimum. the bathroom is super super small. The toliet practically touches the very tiny sink and you have to hold the handles to keep the water running. Small shower stall also - but great water pressure. I felt the room could of used a better cleaning - several spiders were lurking about in all the rooms.
The pool is great! Very clean and not crowded(we actually had it all to ourselves the 3 days we were there. The owners are nice and provide donuts and coffee in the small office in the morning. The real downer is the TRAINS and I means TRAINSSSSS. The trains run all day and night. They come by every 15 or 20 minutes and blow their horns long and loud. Forget trying to get any sleep(especially the first night). You can request ear plugs in the office, which we did for night 2, but it didn't help all that much. Also - the curtains on the windows are sheer and you can see the lights of the trains coming and going - it lights up the entire front room. I liked the proximity to Cedar Point - great drive up the back entrance and the price can't be beat - but if you value sleep after along day in the park - this is not the place for you. I am torn on whether to come back again as it had good points and bad points.

• Liked — Price and proximity to Cedar Point
  • Disliked — Trains, Trains and more Trains!!!!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Maples Motel? Share your experiences!