“A throwback motel for a classic family vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maples Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Maples Motel
Save Saved
You added Maples Motel to your Saves list
4409 Cleveland Rd, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Lakewood, Ohio
“A throwback motel for a classic family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

There are family vacations and then there are family vacations. Think back to the days where the kids piled into the back of a station wagon and bunked up together in a hotel room, singing songs, playing games, and driving each other nuts. This is the Maples Motel.

We came across the Maples driving home from Cedar Point one day. The kids thought it looked cute and saved their money to get a room for the night. $70 got us the Family Room (room 1, one queen bed, with a queen and two singles in a separate area) for the night.

We checked in on Saturday afternoon and were greeted by the son of the owners, I believe. Super friendly, so hospitable, made us feel very welcome. Gave all the kids quarters for the gumball machine.

The room was definitely a throwback, but impeccable clean with a layout that was perfect for staying together. There was a TV in each room, but the kids were more interested in running around in the big field behind the property.

Staying with small children in a hotel room, one does not expect to get much sleep. Add in the freight trains that pass every 5 minutes (I timed it) in the middle of the night, blaring their horns and shaking the hotel, and you will likely have a very restless night. Even still, the homey hospitality of the Maples and its proximity to Cedar Point make up for a lost night's sleep. I'll sleep at the Ritz, but I'll bring my family to the Maples for fun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is my second stay at the Maples Motel. I spent the entire week there while practicing for a bass tournament. Since I was alone I had room 6 which has 1 queen bed. The room does have a window unit AC but it kept the room cold. There is also a mini fridge which really came in handy for my length of stay. The rooms have cable TV and they supply the basic hotel soaps. You will need to bring shampoo and a clock if you need one. The shower is strong and has plenty of hot water. The train across the street does run through the night, so if you are a light sleeper like I am bring ear plugs. The staff was great, they allowed me to park my rig behind the garage and they asked how my day was every day when I came back in. You just can't get any better than that. I will be back next season when I go back up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've been in the hospitality industry and customer service for over 20 years and I can assure you , no where will you find a friendlier staff than at The Maples Motel in Sandusky, Ohio. Awesome prices don't hurt either. The room was exactly what we needed for our Labor Day weekend. Awesome cold air conditioning, a mini fridge for our drinks and restraunt leftovers, and delicious bakery fresh dougnuts and coffee in the office each morning, along with a sparkling pool open til 11PM if you wanna swim or soak your feet after a day of walking at the parks. We WILL return to this wonderful piece of history on our next adventure to the Lake! Do not miss out on this landmark establishment!

Room Tip: To reserve a room, you'll need to call and speak to the actual staff, which is a family owned bu...
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have travelled extensively and stayed in everything from an 18 dollar a night room in Barstow to the Presidential Suite at the St Regis Grand in Rome. When I look back on my various travel destinations it is not often that I associate my hotel stay as part of the memory or experience. This would be an exception. My daughter and I travelled from Canada to spend 2 days at Cedar Point. We ended up staying at the Maples....This location is great, it's old but very clean and feels like you have taken a step back in time a few decades. The owners are genuinely nice and go out of their way to make you feel at home. Before going read up on the history of this little gem and the family that has run it since WW2

Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here during a cedar point trip. This hotel is an excellent substitute for staying inside the parks at Cedar Point. It is right off the major road, has a pool and some nature areas on site, and it an overall old-timey feel to it.
Granted the train does run across the street (I'm a heavy sleeper and couldn't be bothered), and the hotel is a little worse for ware. However the service, and family run operations made up for this.

I plan on returning here on my next trip up that way.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My son and I stayed here for 2 nights on the Labour Day weekend for $162 total as we were going to Cedar Point. Our room had 2 double beds, fridge and colour TV. There is an outdoor pool as well. The Maples Motel is everything you need. It is clean, affordable and close to Cedar Point. You would expect a motel with this many years under it's belt to be dated or run down. Instead, you feel as though you have gone back in time to when this place first started. Yes, the decor is from the 60's/70"s, but it looks new. The train tracks are close by, so I can't recommend it for light sleepers, but it didn't bother us. Free coffee and donuts at the office each morning. The Maples is very well maintained. What sets it apart is the ownership. You just can't beat a genuine, friendly person that wants the guests to enjoy their stay and come back. We were made to feel welcome and we look forward to staying at the Maples again.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I took my family to this absolutely wonderful motel. We have stayed here many times and have never been disappointed. This little gems owners the Faber Family are the friendliest people you could ever want to meet. They go out of their way to make your stay most enjoyable. They have a beautifal pool with nice lounges by it, if you want to just spend the day there you can. The rooms are very clean. We stayed in the Family Suite, it was wonderful. We had a total of 4 beds between the two rooms it was exactly what we needed and the beds were very comfortable. We plan on staying a few more times this season. The location is great if you are planning on doing CP or Sandusky area attractions. After the first train went by we never really heard them again, we must have tooned them out.

Room Tip: If you have a family see about the Family Suite or attached rooms. Both of these options are great...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Maples Motel? Share your experiences!