“Feeling a little let down” 3 of 5 stars

Maples Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4409 Cleveland Rd, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Michigan
“Feeling a little let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Well - my family and I have stayed at the Maples for 4 years now on our annual trip to Cedar Point, heck my daughter and I even bought their shirts last year, so we have most certainly been supporters of this place. However, this time I was definitely a little disappointed. I called - like a always do in late May to reserve our Family Room #1. The original week we wanted was not available so I moved our vacation back a week and went down later. When we arrived at 10;30am I was told by Steve that Room #1 had been rented to someone else the previous night!! To say I was upset is putting it mildly since I specifically asked for this room and I reserved well in advance. He seemed upset that I was upset and said well room #2 is the same and I was like I asked for #1 for a reason - in room #1 you have noone on the right side of your room so it is less likey to be bugged by noisy neighbors. He said "well do you want me to ask these people to move" and I said yes. So he proceeds to tell us that it will now take another hour to get the room vacated. We left and came back an hour later and he rudely told my husband that because we had to have people leave it will now be at least another 2 hours till we could check in(sorry not good customer service at all). The 2nd day we went to the park only to return to unmade beds, no towels, soap - it was obvious we did not get any room service at all. I made the front bed and then Joan(bless her heart) was nice enough to come down and make up the back bed and give us towels and toliet paper, etc. Now - I am not a picky person, but I felt we should of at least been given an apology for 2 days of bad service. My daughter adores this motel and I will probably return but I still feel like an apology would not have hurt or maybe even a discount on a future stay for the inconvience.

Room Tip: We always stay in Room #1, but I also looked at the little Sunset Lodge room #14 and outside of the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
central Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'd really like to give Maples Motel 4 stars, but I am a light sleeper and I have to warn my fellow light sleepers that this might not be the place for you. Don't know if the motel predates the train crossing across the road, and I don't want to penalize a charming little motel for its unrelated surroundings, but my stars, the trains sounded their whistles every half-hour or so all night long and I got no sleep at all. Maples Motel is an charming older hotel without many contemporary amenities. Its L-shaped main buildings face a nice-looking pool, and there are a couple cabins tucked behind the rooms, near the detached office & owners' summer house. The owners are as nice as can be and the room was small but comfortable, with a fridge and a little AC. No bathtub, just a stand-up shower. Coffee and donuts are available in the office starting around 7:00 am. Very basic overall, but the price was unbeatable and the entire facility is a lovely example of mid-century American lodging that barely exists anymore in the era of the chain motel. Highly recommended, but ONLY if you can sleep through very loud and frequent train whistles.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed in the "older" area of the motel and was made aware of this when I made the reservation. This area has no A/C, as I was told, but I was also told there would at least be a fan in the room. There was no fan. I can accept older facilities, this was a one night stay and didn't need anything fancy, just a night of sleep. I did not realize this meant blankets and beds that were probably older than me. We were afraid to use them as they were so old, it was hard to get comfortable not knowing the last time they'd been washed. (Looked like they wouldn't live through another machine washing)

The worst thing about the place was the fact that there are two sets of train tracks right across the street. The trains pass through every 30 minutes all night long, which meant no sleep for us! Yes, the owners were very nice and friendly, but sometimes that just isn't enough. I guess you get what you pay for. In a town like Sandusky where it was very difficult to find cheaper motels/hotels with high guest ratings, I suppose I got what I paid for and will be prepared to dig a little deaper in my pockets next time I make a trip to Cedar Point. This was a one night trip, and we just needed a place to sleep, no frills necessary. Unfortunately we didn't get any sleep and left as early as possible the next morning. I'm amazed this place has such high ratings. Lesson learned!

Room Tip: Maybe the "newer" rooms are nicer, but none of them could be any further from the train tr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Great value for the money!! Nice owners who are friendly and attentive. Great location close to Cedar Point.

The kids loved the pool. There were "members" for the pool - locals who pay an annual fee to use the pool. We weren't crazy about this as they hung around a while but they seemed nice enough.

The train is loud as it sounds to horn but we didn't mind that too much.

Overall, it was a great place for a memorable family vacation.

We will be back!!

• Stayed August 2012
Kima720
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Little Mom n Pop Motel great location to Cedar Point right down the rd. Rooms were outdated but clean. Pool was nice we didnt use it we got in late night and left early. Owners were super friendly Overall would and will stay again. Safety is a big issue and we felt safe there. We had a family room 6 of us had room 1 with 2 dbls n 2 twin beds that was convinent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mansfield,Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Reminded me of the old motor court style motels I stayed at as a kid in the '60's.Liked the old Rambler in the lot which I was told is still drivable.Room was clean.Liked to be able to open the windows.Older,yes,but the owners very friendly.The donuts were great.Wife and I looked for a cheap,nice motel and this was it.If you like the simpler times,this is the place.Would recommend to anyone looking for an economical motel.Would definitely stay there again.Loved the old sign.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bedford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Trains were a non-issue for us. Yes, they do come through late at night, but they don't blare on the whistle. I never heard any more than three short blasts. And the train sounds literally disappeared after less than half a minute.

In terms of the decor and size of the room, it was like staying in the spare bedroom of a relative. Maybe not the most modern, but comfortable and clean.

We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Maples Motel? Share your experiences!