“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Camp Sandusky

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Camp Sandusky
You added Camp Sandusky to your Saves list
3518 Tiffin Ave., Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Traveland's Camp Sandusky)   |
Lorain, Ohio, United States
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had a great two night stay. Price was good (we opted for the cabin with air because of my wife) and it was close to all the places we wanted to go. I would have enjoy a game room, but we did have the games at Cedar Point. Looks like they are doing some improvements so hope it just gets better. Staff was helpful but they could use a map of local places to eat. Over all the bathrooms are clean but they could make a evening run to make sure they are clean. Some added activities or entertainment would be nice. We will be back.

Room Tip: The air might be worth it, but you can't have a fridge if you get the air.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Montague, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Me and my friends planned a trip to cedar point and with the cabins being cheap and not far from cedar point it seemed like a good idea. It wasn't. When we got to the campground and were driving to our cabin we were hoping that the inside was nice. The place was covered in spiders. The "cabin" is a shack which looked like no one had been in for a while. The cabin comes with a broom which we had to use to go over the walls because there were so many spider webs. I hate spiders and i found this absolutely disgusting. After we got that all taken care of we attempted to open the tiny windows to let some air in because the cabins are hot and almost impossible to cool down even with a fan at night it was extremely hot. The beds are rock hard and between the heat and the hard beds sleep was almost impossible. With having four girls in this tiny cabin it was packed. There is one outlet by the light switch and one hidden under a bench that we didn't find until the end of the trip. I'm happy that we went at this time of the year though because had we gone later in the summer the cabins would have been miserable. The pools weren't bad, except one of them was freezing. The bathrooms aren't bad. They have no soap in them, the staff comes in every morning and cleans but by night the sinks are kind of gross. The showers i found to be sick. There is one spot in the shower to put a bar of soap other than that everything has to go on the ground, there aren't any hooks or anything to hang your towel, and surprise the bathroom also contains tons of spiders and the showers are separated by curtains and hard to actually get closed. The positives were that the staff was very nice and location. But other then that i would not recommend this campground, not the cabins anyways unless your planning on doing some serious de-bugging the whole time you are there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed here one weekend in October 2011 while we visited Cedar Point for Halloweekends. We love tent camping but knew that it can be quite cold in Sandusky in mid-October, so we opted for a cabin. We LOVED the cabin! It was small and simple (little wooden shed-type building), but very cute and cozy. Our cabin was designed to sleep four people, with a double/standard mattress and a set of bunk beds. We slept on the double mattress and just used the bunk beds for storage of our luggage and food. This was apparently the last weekend of the season that the campground was open, so there were not many other people staying there, so it was very quiet and we never had any trouble getting a shower! Speaking of showers -- the bathroom was VERY clean. I have noticed other people complaining about the bathhouses here on TripAdvisor, but I think most of these people are not regular campers and are used to hotel amenities. My husband and I camp quite a bit, and these were some of the cleanest bathhouses I have seen. The water was hot, so it felt so good to take a hot shower during the cool, crisp mornings (temps high 40's-low 50's). They had a all-u-can-eat pancake breakfast for $3.95 per person. 3.95!!!! The pancakes were hot and fluffy, and the cook was constantly making more pancakes and delivering them straight to your table. He even made a Mickey Mouse pancake for us :). The coffee was also very good!
You can tell that this place is a family-owned establishment and they obviously take great pride in making sure their patrons are "happy campers." Every staff member we met was VERY friendly and made us feel so welcome! The price was great and the location was unbeatable (only about a 10-12min drive from Cedar Point!). We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Make sure you bring bed linens or sleeping bags as there are only bare mattresses in the cabins.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Marion, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband and I went up to sandusky last week for our mini honnymoon. We decided to check out campgrounds instead of hotels to save some money. I found camp Sandusky through google, saw the very cheap price of the cabin and prematurely booked. After looking at some reviews I wished I wouldn't of. We went with very low expectations. Told the check in man that we read the reviews and was worried about bed bugs, but he gaurenteed us there wasn't any. As soon as we walked in we checked the whole place(under matress and all) and saw no signs of bed bugs. If they have them we didn't notice them and didn't bring any home with us either. The cabins were nice for just the two of us, we got one that was supposed to be for four people, but might have been cramped if we had four. The cabins basically look like a shed and theres not much too them, but for the cheap price they're better than a tent. We brought our own fan and left the widows opened, we expected it to be very hot, but actually got kind of chilly at night in there. The bathrooms were no different than any other campground I've been to. Kind of dirty, but my major problem was there was no soap until the last day I was there. All three mornings my husband and I both never had to wait on a free shower, which was nice. Free wifi and a very cheap pancake breakfast. We never had it, but it always looked full, so it must be good. Very close to cedar point(about 10 minutes with directions from them) and right across the road from mcdonalds and subway. Also staff was very friendly and helpful. I would probably stay here again if I'm camping up that way, like I said not great but much better than a tent for a great price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed at Camp Sandusky in August 2011 in one of their tent sites. It was a thoroughly unenjoyable visit. It's the type of venue chosen by car campers who seem to have little experience camping, and thus don't observe common courtesies you'll find in other campgrounds.

My neighbors burned campfires well past 1 AM, one neighbor had an outdoor eating area with lighting that he kept on until past 1 AM, and other neighbors would talk loudly late into the evening. The only saving grace for me was that it rained.

My problems with the campground itself:

1. Bad layout for sites. The tent sites are near the front of the park. Nearly all traffic goes by these sites, so you're treated to headlights and noise late into the night. A better layout would be to put the tent sites at the far end of the campground.
2. Little privacy. My site was approximately 20 feet wide, with nothing to distinguish it from the adjacent sites. It was a patch of grass.
3. Overbearing rules. Rather than ask people politely not to engage in behaviors, they threaten fines. "You will be fined if you burn trash in your campfire and we find it."
4. No pets allowed. Really? I choose camping over hotels because I like to bring my dog along.
5. Overpriced. $30 for a tent site here is overpriced. You do not get $30 worth of value.

There are few other options for tent camping in the area, but I would strongly consider camping out further than revisit this campground in the future. It would be well worth whatever extra time I spent driving for a better facility.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Harrow, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We got a great deal on the cabins so I feel as though I should not complain. We purchased a Groupon for a night since we were visiting Cedar Point. It was a good way to check out the campground to decide not to return though. The Cabins are better than tenting but we did expect them to be a bit better... it opened up sorta like a horse stall. Litterally it was a shed with some wooden beds in it and VERY hot to sleep in there but, it had hydro and considering it rained during our stay, I was glad we weren't in a tent. The campsite itself had VERY muddy roadways to walk to get to the bathroom. Pitch Black at night so bad it felt unsafe for our teens to walk to the bathroom without an adult. Pool wasn't open at 9 am due to cleaning. Bathrooms were TERRIBLY dirty! mold in the showers. no toilet paper in the stalls but one in the womens. My son does Not want to camp again since he thinks all bathrooms will be this bad. We tried to comprimise with the kids and said they could just jump in the pool for a few minutes instead of showering but it was closed.
On a good side, we got a great deal for the cabin due to the groupon. I'd not stay here again unless it was Extremely cheap and we didn't have the cash for a hotel. It wasn't too far to cedar point (15 minutes) and close to mcdonalds. We still had a great time though & staff was very friendly. Also, wifi in the cabin was Fabulous to have!

Room Tip: We got a Groupon... Cabin was only $18!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toulon, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Overall a good campground for what you pay for. It needs a "face lift". At night it is pitch black and you can't see anything, including people walking on the roads, much more lighting would be useful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Everything needed updated, the cabins, pavillions , and camp store. The basketball court, pool, and sidewalks were over grown with weeds. Just maintance was the issue. But if you can deal without the place being well groomed this is the place for you!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Camp Sandusky? Share your experiences!