“Great fun and good value...” 4 of 5 stars

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Upstate New York
“Great fun and good value...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

This hotel and waterpark offers a great value for your dollar...we paid about $250 for a large, double queen plus sofa bed room with nice decor, great amenities, balcony, etc. This included 27 hours of waterpark access. The room was very large, with lots of room between the beds and the opposite wall.

The waterpark was clean and fun, and is currently being expanded greatly (the construction of the new area does not impact the hotel guests ni any way that I could discern). After getting my fill of the indoor water rides, the outdoors pool and outdoor bar was a great place to relax while the kids have fun.

The arcade/game room was fun, massive and well maintained. There is even indoor miniature golf.

There are shops, snack bars, restaurants in plenty. They had live tiger and cheetah cubs in the lobby for the kids to watch. The African decor is well done throughout the premises. Pizza was expensive (about $22) but it was so big it fed us (family of 4) for two meals (after placing leftovers in the in-room fridge).

There were plenty of lifeguards throughout the waterpark areas.

I recommend this place to all families with kids who can swim.

Minor problems include:

1. Somewhat noisy guestrooms -a little too much sound makes it's way into you room from other rooms/hallway.

2. Check-in was a zoo - we arrived at 12:00 noon to take advantage of the full time we have in the waterpark...because of the crouds at that time, I was directed to park and check-in later...after doing so and walking back up to the hotel I was informed I could not use the waterpark without my credit card (even though I had my I.D. and the room was paid in advance)....I had to return to the car and back, and by then, our room was ready and we checked in.

Other than those minor annoyances, we had a great time and will definately return in the future.

• Liked — Larege rooms and great value....
  • Disliked — Check-In was chaotic...
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Paris, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

My husband and I and our 3 grandchildren stayed on Thursday and Friday evening. This is our 2nd trip there. We all had a great time. Rooms are very nice and very clean. The beds are very comfortable. This time we reserved a room on the first floor instead of the upper floors---you could leave out the sliding door and walk straight to the pool and indoor waterpark. We were down at the end so it was very quiet. The kids--age 12 and twins age 11 want to go again next summer when the expansion is done. It will be the largest indoor waterpark in the United States. We told them we would take them to Florida or Canada but they said--ONLY The Kalahari. It is nice for adults also---the lazy river is very relaxing and the hot tubs and pool are very nice. We made our reservations 3 months ahead and when I checked on-line 3 days before we left there was a special price and I called and they gave me the $80.00 off the original price. I made sure that they sent me an e-mail with the new price on it. We ate down the road at Bob Evans Restaurant--very nice and the food was good. They have childrens menus which is good for us because the kids cant eat an adults portion and it is stupid to waste the money if they leave half of the food. All in all I cant understand if anyone complains about staying here we have traveled all over the US. and the Carribean and Hawaii and we really enjoy staying there.

Stayed July 2007
Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

Our vacation to KALAHARI Water Park in Sandusky Ohio was horrible. We booked a stay at the resort for four (4) days (07-22-07 to 07-26-07). The resort advertised that the rooms were clean and relaxing. The Water Park is undergoing an expansion and our room was on the first floor (1212) next to the construction. From 7 am in the morning to 9 PM at night, the forklifts, dozers, trucks and construction personnel worked just outside the rooms window. We complained to the manager about the excessive noise and were told that she "REALLY wished they would wait until 0900" to start. In other words TOO BAD SUCKER you paid our $200.00 + rate, what did you expect? A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP! I would advise anyone staying at the hotel to check with them first to see if the room is next to their construction site, because once you check into this Hotel, the management will be unwilling to do anything to help you. This place is a rip off.

• Liked — Indoor waterpark
  • Disliked — Excessive construction noise
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

This place was wonderful as is, but they are adding on another waterpark with wave pool, adult hot tub only with swim up bar, another surfing pool, and tons more. New part is on its way to be finished by December 2007. If it wasn't 8 hours away, I would be a frequent visitor. It was the perfect vacation to me and my kids all went on about how great it was. They all dreamed of living in place like that.

I had researched and read all about the Sandusky area. I came a click away from booking a room at the Hotel Breakers so I could be on the beach. I am so glad I didn't. On our last day there we went to Cedar Point. It was okay if you like long lines and expensive food for kids. We don't so we didn't enjoy it too much. Our oldest two 13 and 19 loved it, but my younger two, 3 and 9, got tired quickly of being told they were too short for the rides and waiting 30-45 minutes for rides that are at road-side carnivals, so we had our hand stamped and went out onto the beach area for a break.

Everything said on here was true. Hotel Breakers was like over a hundred years old so even though well kept, there was a definite musty smell and other than the over priced TGIFriday and hotel restraunts, not much to do but swim or sit on the beach, which by the way was not like being in Florida. The breeze was cool and it wasn't like you could really go ride waves and all. It cost me over $20 for chicken fingers and cheese sticks and another $11 for a milkshake and two diets at the malt shop. So for $30 only 4 of my 6 member family had a snack. At Kalahari, that bought a 20 inch pizza and a fruit cup.

Let's just say I am glad we didn't spend $300 a room to just sit and listen to nastalgic music, when we had spent $179 to stay in a new hotel with a refrigerator and microwave, tropical and old rock music, kids activities, lively game room, min. golf, outdoor playground, and the list goes on. We had went down to Walmart just a couple miles a way and stocked up on snacks and sandwhich meat and all so we didn't have to eat out all the time. But we also ate at the hotel, which was very reasonable and tasted great. The fries and pizza were better than any fast food place. Television even had disney and other kids channels. We enjoyed the hotel pool television station because we could watch the people wipe out on the surf board. There is a huge lake outfront with ducks, swans, and carp. Bring extra bread and all for them. They gobbled down the loaf I brought them.

The water temp inside was a constant temperature, 84-86 degrees with over 90% humidity, so it was very comforatable inside. Water park workers were very nice and often interacted with the visitors. Rules were clearly posted and if followed, they never bothered you. I found the employees at the miniture golf (a reasonable $3.50), game room, food places, housekeeping, and bar to be equally nice. Many had worked at Cedar Point prior to coming to the Kalahari Resort to work. They said the resort treated them much nicer too.

We actually had extra kids in our room, but didn't have to disclose that fact. My husband and I went through the back gate and didn't have to have an armband to just hang around in outside pool or hottub. We didn't ride the slides so we let the kids have the arm bands. Cast-a-way Bay actually checks around for extra people and says they will cancel your stay if they find you over the limit. Room was big enough for an air mattress on the floor.

Considering most the hotels in the area were 100+ a night, I ended up spending much less overall by opting for the Kalahari and just relaxing while the kids played. They never asked to leave the hotel for a minute. The hotel was sold out, yet the lines were minimal and we had plenty to do. They even had kids activities planned for the younger kids throughout the day such as coloring an African animal mask or story time. As far as walking from room being far, we took a short cut from back of rooms through the outdoor playground and pools and it wasn't far at all. Having the room to go back to rest and snack was priceless. I have to say this was the most relaxing time away from home I have ever had. My husband and me were able to just enjoy it all.

• Liked — Friendly staff, lots to do for all ages, close to shopping, fridge/microwave in room, reasonable prices!
  • Disliked — So far from home. No easy way in from south area. Must take back roads. Please build one closer to Kentucky! Put one by Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brookhaven, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

We just returned from a short (3 night) stay at the Kalahari. My kids (17, 13, 9) loved it! The location was excellent. The waterpark had some great kick your butt slides! We didn't eat at any of the restaurants so I can't comment on them, but we loved the resort itself. Our African Queen Suite was clean and roomy. The staff we had contact with was excellent. My kids said I hit another home run with the Kalahari!

• Liked — Waterpark was excellent, great location, clean rooms!
  • Disliked — Had to hold the button down on the hairdryer to keep it running. (silly, I know!)
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

The resort is very sprawled out and is very visible from the road. The lake out front of the hotel is very nice and there's lots of room on the drive thru drop off area to park your car to unload. The lobby includes a candy shop, a coffe shop, a restaurant, and a tiger den where a baby tiger stays for the day. The waterpark is amazing and has things to do for toddlers, kids and adults. The zip coaster was fun but short. It has a few problems at times but that's technology for you. The waterpark outside which is for ages 2-8 is very fun for the little ones. The water was about ninety degrees F outside and in the inside, the water temp felt around eighty five. There are three volley ball courts with very nice sand that dosen't get hot which is nice to play volleyball on. There was only one time when they were out of towels and within ten minutes a full carload was ready. We ate at the Kahuanaville restaurant which is reasonably priced but the food wasn't great. I got a double chesseburger and the burger was good but the fries were cold. The next night we ate at the Olive Garden and it was much better food and more affordable. The room was very well decorated and the couch helped us out a lot and added to the room size. Too bad we had a view of the constrution though but we weren't in our room much. The new expansion looks amazing and they are adding a whole new hotel tower which will make the resort have a lot of rooms. I'm telling ya, I don't want to book a room and end up at the end of the new tower because it would be a very long walk to the waterpark. We can't wait to go back but next time we are going to look for some specials and maybe go through the week when it's less busy. Oh, by the way, saturday on the day we were there it was a bit busy but not nearly as bad as I planned for it to be. I love the Kalahari and would recomend it to anybody.

• Liked — The large room and the waterpark.
  • Disliked — The view from our window and the price to stay overnight.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

I went to kalahari and stayed one night for my friends birthday party. The waterpark was fun and the arcade was alright. The room was very clean and stylish. After going to the water park we decided to order a movie from the T.V. at about 11:00 We followed the directions and the cost was charged onto the bill but the movie was not working. We called the front desk and didnt get any service until about 12:30 or 1:00. The service was terrible. They could not fix the TV so they brought a new one with a VCR but it didnt help becuase we had no movies. The waterpark staff was nice for the most part.

• Liked — waterpark
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!