“Awesome! Super clean!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #1 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome! Super clean!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stayed for 3 days with a large family group at Kalahari, about 20 people in total. This place is awesome! We had a 2-bedroom suite and another standard room, and the hotel lobby and rooms were spotless. When we arrived, there was a huge complimentary snack and candy basket and 2 gourmet cheese plates waiting for us in our room. Housekeeping was very attentive and cleaned and made up the room every day. They delivered tons of fresh towels every afternoon, more towels than I'd ever been provided with over my many stays at nice hotels all over the world. We needed extra cots for sleeping because there was so many of us, and those were provided promptly with clean sheets and blankets. The entire staff was very attentive and friendly, from the valet parking attendants, to the gentlemen who helped us with our luggage, to the Housekeeping staff, to the lifeguards at the waterpark. The indoor waterpark is huge, with enough to entertain young kids for days and a dozen big waterslides for older kids and adults. The outdoor pool is clean and there's lots of deck space to sunbathe. One day, we reserved a poolside cabana in the waterpark with a flat screen tv, ipod docking station, sofas and tables, which was clean and comfortable. We also visited the petting zoo to feed the exotic animals, the pottery painting shop, arcade, Spa Kalahari, and outdoor zip line. All around, a very clean, friendly, and fun place! Would definitely recommend.

2,085 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We went from Wed to Sat. week of July 4th. I was thrilled when I walked in and saw all the little stores and eateries. The waterpark was as fun as any full theme park. The entire hotel was super CLEAN!!! My room was nice and quiet. Did not find a reason to leave the resort the entire time we were there. I will be back!

Hamilton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We payed over 300.00 for the room and our pillows smelled horrible. Our bathroom light only worked half the time so we had to use the bathroom with the door open. The tv kept coming back on by itself in the middle of the night. People were so loud in the halls and kept slamming doors so we could not sleep. I will never do this again we will go to the Great Wolf Lodge from now on.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I had such high expectations and was disappointed so enormously!

POSITIVE HIGHLIGHTS:
* Candy Hut had great items (esp. the ice cream sandwich - YUM!)
* Marketplace served a great and fresh morning breakfast panini
* The indoor/outdoor pool was very nice and seemed very well kept. If this effort was put into the rest of the hotel, the place would be AMAZING!
* The Reserve was the best meal I had all week. Fantastic appetizers, drinks, and meal (and desserts). Wonderful service, too! YUMMMMM!!!

DIRTY LOW-LIGHTS
* Did not get my room until 6 p.m. on the day of check-in, when it is supposed to be guaranteed beginning at 4 p.m.
* Once I was in the room, I thought there was an origami washcloth (for some reason) hanging over the shower. It turned out to be a SOILED one. I immediately called the front desk. They said I could speak with someone about it in the morning.
* Went to the front desk in the morning and was told there was nothing they could do unless I wanted to speak to a manager. I said yes, and then I was sent to the main front desk lobby.
* Went to the main front desk and was told exactly the same thing, and the hotel could do nothing for me.
* At this point, I chose to NOT utilize housekeeping's services for my stay!
* Two days later, I realized there was a SOILED hand towel on the rack that I had never touched since checking in.
* TV did not work the first time I tried it and someone had to come and basically unplug it and reset it in order for it to work.
* There were NUMEROUS gnats flying in, on, and around the desserts at The Great Karoo. That was not good for the appetite. Even though it looked delicious, it definitely was not sanitary. Maybe think about putting the desserts under lids or something.
* A friend of mind had a plastic lid in the sheets on their first night of stay also. This tells me the sheets were never changed let along inspected.
* I was not able to request a late checkout due to high occupancy.
* Gnats and lightning bugs were in the room of another friend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
georgetown,pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

we woke up to a room with worms crawling around in the bathroom and kitchen area. upon closer inspection they were also on the carpeted area. They had been there before as we found them dead along the walls and by the sliding glass door. After having three maintenance men verify that they were indeed there, like I might have put them there, we were offered 75 dollars off of our room which was over 300 dollars. After asking for a manager and getting more upset and angry the entire amount was refunded. This place has seriously gone downhill from the last time we were there. do not plan on going there again.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

This is our first time at Kalahari, but our whole family has agreed that we have found our yearly vacation spot. The hotel was one of the cleanest I have ever seen, and the service was off the charts. I'm hoping you build one closer to Baltimore Md, but only if you can match the exceptional quality of Sandusky. I marvel how even the restrooms stayed clean with so many people using them! The grounds looked inviting and the zoo was a nice addition. Can I have the recipe for the Twice Fried Rice from your new restaurant?

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010 via mobile

You name it they had it, from the dead bugs to the spiders on the wall in my room. The view I had from my room was me looking at walls and a roof top of a smaller building and I ask for a pool view. When I called front desk they said that's all they had. I thought of checking out or canceling for a refund and I couldn't the make you pay for it up front when you make reservation or you don't hold nothing for you. When I checked in the room I had no towels and a smell that was a smell from death my wife pulled out her body spray and started to use that my kids did not want to even want to stay there but I would have been out of $600 for a two night stay not even worth it when I ask for pillows cause I need two to sleep on they said we're all out but when I payed a housekeeper $20 I got them and towels in five mins and I had her clean my room. She told me they don't put towel out only upon request (WHAT) that's what I said. Thank god for the out side pool and the booze cause the inside water park burned my eyes and throat as soon as I walked in there. Felt like I was in a bath of bleach I'm seriously. Now the zoo that they have is disgusting from the bird cage that you go in that had dead birds in it and the animals that look unhappy in there small fenced in area and the [----] I can write a book about this place but I have to go. But one thing I have two say is not worth the money your time and your health

• Stayed July 2010

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!