We (three adults, five kids) recently returned from the Kalahari Waterpark Resort after a one night stay. Our review is mixed, far more positive from the kids than from the adults.
Our room (family suite) was adequate to meet our needs, nicely decorated and well stocked. The in room safe was useful, as were fridge, microwave and tv's. Beds comfortable and linens clean and well stocked. Importantly, the room was quiet. The place is really pricey, but happily includes admission to the water park.
The water park itself is impressive with many offerings. But with the crowds, noise and degree of thrill of some of the rides, it really isn't a place for the younger set. I totally agree with past reviews which recommend a different park for those under age 5. The lifeguards seem young (teenagers?) and did a good job. We saw no serious safety issues except crowding and daring, active teenagers. Parents really need to be hyper-vigilant. The hot tub was crowded with kids, and I was kicked hard by one diving under the water.
Personally, I was unhappy with the location of the candy and ice cream counters and the arcade, both of which had to be walked through to get to the park. Needless to say, this is less than transparent pushing of this stuff to kids. Whatever. It is a family decision to partake of this junk.
The day of our departure we were able to use the park until 3pm, but check out was at 11am. I wanted a locker for valuables and a change of clothes, but had to line up with those who were paying for outside admission for the day. The line(s) were long and slow, and after 15 minutes of going nowhere, I bailed. I really think they should have a separate line for lockers only.
One day was enough for this group. Glad we tried it.
- Also Known As:
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort
- Kalahari Hotel Ohio
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel
- Kalahari Waterpark Sandusky
- Kalahari Resort Sandusky Oh
- Kalahari Waterpark
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel Sandusky
- Kalahari Water Park
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky, Ohio
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalahari Resorts Sandusky provides water parks, Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, indoor/outdoor water park, catering/wedding facilities, spa, salon, fitness training in fitness center, dining options, and more.Over 850 beautifully appointed authentic African-themed guest rooms and suites offer coffeemaker, vacation sized refrigerator, microwave, free high speed Internet access, voice mail, TV, iron/ironing board, in-room safe, pay per view movies, and much more. ... more less