“Whirlpool Suite: Perfect Getaway!” 4 of 5 stars

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Flint, Michigan
“Whirlpool Suite: Perfect Getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend & I stayed in the king whirlpool suite & it was amazing! Very relaxing & CLEAN! When we checked in I was offered a package that allowed me to get almost half of my money back & included a free pizza & drinks! We went to cedar point after we checked out so it was great not having to drive far! The ONLY thing that was awkward was the zip line being so slow that people could look in our suite during the day if the curtain was open. But overall i loved our room! Cant wait to come back for another getaway!

• Stayed July 2014
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
I am so thrilled to hear that you and your boyfriend had an amazing time with us. The King Whirlpool Suites are a great way to spend a romantic getaway. The package deals are a great way to experience the resort if you are looking closely at financials. Again, I am so thrilled you all had a wonderful time and we look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was a nice location to take my five children. They loved every bit of it. The Hotel rooms were nice and neat, and the view was beautiful. I love how everything was connected. I would recommend this resort to everyone I know!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Monae. How wonderful that you were able to take your five children to Kalahari to experience a close getaway. I hope they all had a wonderful time exploring our Waterparks. We pride ourselves in keeping everything within the Resort all under 1 roof. I'm glad to here that you had an awesome getaway. Thanks again and take care!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Our family does not really congregate for Thanksgiving so we decided to take our kids to Kalihari for thanksgiving. We were pleasantly surprised. The room we booked was a separate bedroom with a king size bed, a kitchen, and a pull out couch in the living room. Both rooms had a fireplace. They were very reasonable rates for this type of resort. The actual water park is huge. The biggest drawback is that they try to play music over the speaker system which just adds to the continuous noise of children enjoying themselves and water swooshing. We did not have a chance to visit one of the pool bars (for adults only) but definitely will next time we visit. The rooms were clean and well equipped with a full size refrigerator, range with pots and pans, microwave, sink, and dish washer. The main drawbacks are the resort is extremely large. It literally took us about 10 minutes to walk to the waterpark from our room. Also, don't go there for any kind of shopping. Even though there are about 4 different small boutique stores, we found the shopping experience lacking. Being that we visited during Thanksgiving, they have an extremely large buffet dinner for thanksgiving. I don't recall what we paid, but I do remember we were pleased with the experience. Definitely a nice place for a couple day getaway in the doldrums of winter.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a long walk to the park and prefer a large room, book the rooms with the separ...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for spending your Thanksgiving holiday with us. I am so happy to hear that the family had a wonderful time at our Resort, not just swimming, but enjoying the dining options as well. The Thanksgiving Buffet is always such an elegant and well put together event to keep families close on their getaway with us. Everyone is accustomed to different noise levels. I apologize about the volume of the music in the waterpark. Other than that, it sounds like you had a nice couple of days with us. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you all back again soon!
Berea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

1st of all, the resort boasts "non-smoking" facility. Within 5 minutes of our arrival, we called about an adjacent room full of smokers. The smoke billowed into our room from the air conditioning unit. Instead of taking care of this issue, we had to pack up all of our belongings and move.

Secondly, the bathroom was not clean (pubic hair in floor). Disgusting.

Thirdly, there was blood in a few different places in the watermark where apparent running accidents had occurred. There was also excrement in the wave pool.

We also dined in "The Reserve" where my husband found a hair on his food. He didn't receive his food until the rest of the family was finished. We were not compensated for any of the incidents. I would not recommend this "resort" to any of my friends and family!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. While we appreciate having you as our guest and the feedback you have provided, I am sorry to hear about your experience while staying with us. We also received your response & review via our digital survey and have been attempting to reach you. Our management team would like to speak with you directly regarding your stay. Please email me your contact info at SocialConnect@KalahariResorts.com and I will be happy to connect you with our team awaiting your reply. Thank you again for your time and visiting us. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We typically stay here in the winter, and this was our first time during the middle of the summer. Four of us stayed in a Nomad room for 2 nights/3 days, and would certainly repeat this experience again. If you are considering doing the family fun package, this is a wise choice. We are still (weeks later) talking about the pizza pub pizza that is included with this package. We were similarly impressed with the meals provided (can't lose with the buffet). We're not all about the food, but this is one of the rare vacation options where it is a better option to dine in (on the property). You shouldn't be disappointed.

Both the indoor and outdoor waterparks were in great shape. No shortage of wet opportunities. During the July 4th week, expect the wave pools to be fuller, and the lines to be a little longer. Customer service was outstanding (again), check in was quick, check-out was quick, and a call to maintenance to fix an issue with the TV was responded to and fixed within 15 minutes.

No disappointments here....we will certainly be back. Great value for the money!

Room Tip: Depending on your room choice, it can be a rather long walk from your room to the center of the comp...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review. And thank you for spending your 4th of July weekend with us! I am so thrilled to hear that you all enjoyed your 2 nights/ 3 days with us in your Nomad room. I'm so glad that during this trip, you were able to take advantage of both the Indoor and Outdoor Waterparks. The Pizza Pub pizza that we offer is just mouth-watering! Yumm! I'm glad to hear that check-in/ check-out went very smooth for you and you had all-together a great time. Take care and we'll see you back again soon!
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Overall great experience; friendly, professional staff, good food and fun slides. We stayed in a Hut room and only downfall was poor sink and tub drainage. Room was clean and view of water park was nice. Food and service at The Reserve was outstanding. Buffet breakfast and pizza at Cafe Mirage were great as well.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to fill out a review. I'm happy to hear that you had a great time playing in the waterpark. My favorite thing to do there is just relax down the lazy river, The Reserve has huge portions and that's why it's one of my favorite places to eat at the resort. I apologize about the drainage areas concerning the sink and tub. One call down to housekeeping and we would've been happy to fix that for you! Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you back again soon!
Westland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Seriously?!?!? This place has to have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with in the service industry. My daughter's soccer team is coming to the area for the "Kalahari Cup" at the end of October. My wife went to book our room 2 days ago and was told that we couldn't get the promo rate because there weren't any rooms left in that price category. She was told there were only a few rooms left in the next tier up($50 more a night) and should grab one before they were gone. My wife said ok, if I book one of the more expensive rooms can I call everyday and see if there is a cancellation and switch to the cheaper room? She was told yes, there is a $25 cancellation fee but that can be applied to the new booking as a $25 discount. So she calls yesterday to see if there is a cancellation of any of the cheap rooms and was told if someone cancelled a discounted room it wouldn't be available for discount for us?!?!?!?!? Why was she told otherwise the day before??? Why are some families on our team paying $50 less a night than we would in the same room, same floor, same everything??? There are hundreds of rooms left for booking in this category as well. You do realize how much money I would have spent on food, drinks and games there right? We came there last year for the tourney, dropped over $700 in your resort for 2 nights. Yet you can't give us the same rate as some of the families on the same team? It would be like us pulling up to the gas pump and her teammates paying $3 a gallon and I have to pay $5 a gallon. Nice business model. I mean really, nice game plan. Do you honestly think you will ever see me set foot in your resort again? Do you think I will have anything good to say about Kalahari from hear on out to my friends and family. There's a principal here. You can't have a soccer tournament with your name on it, yes I know you are not running it, and just decide you won't honor the same rate for the whole team. You can have my $25 cancellation fee this time. I will go down the road to "Great Wolf Lodge". Now, I get to tell my daughter she is not going to be staying with some of her teammates. This should be enjoyable. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013
While I am very appreciative of your feedback, I am sorry to hear that you won't be returning again. The Kalahari Cup tournament is held at Kalahari each fall and with its success, more and more teams are participating each year. As you can imagine the demand for hotel rooms related to the tournament has increased exponentially. Kalahari does provide a set amount of rooms each year at a first tier rate to the tournament participants. This is made available on a first-come, first-serve basis to attendees of the tournament. Because of the growth of the tournament, we have since agreed with the organizers to provide additional rooms at a second tier rate. Once this second tier fills, any additional rooms are then offered at our regular published rates to the public. Again, we appreciate you expressing your concerns. We do apologize if hotel accommodation information was not provided to you earlier. We will be in communication with the organizers of the tournament, whereas, we can better communicate guest room information to teams, that wish to participate in the tournament in future years. I do remain in hopes of seeing you again in the future.

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!