“Bed Bugs at Kalahari (Sandusky)” 2 of 5 stars

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Cleveland, Ohio
“Bed Bugs at Kalahari (Sandusky)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My family and I stayed at Kalahari for the first time ever April 21-23rd, 2013 and we had a nice time except for bedbugs! Tuesday morning my husband woke up with a large mark that looked like an allergic reaction to something and I told him maybe it's just the chlorine or whatever. Then, later on that day I started getting red itchy bumps all over my legs and arms, our four year old son as well. Thursday April 25th I went to the dr with over 15 total bites on my body and he confirmed that they are bed bug bites and prescribed me some cream. More and more bites were showing up on my husbands body at this point. I found out that the bites can take up to two weeks to show up and that only 30% of the population have an allergic reation. At this point I placed a call to management on the 25th as well stating my concern and what the Dr. said. The voice message stated that she was out until Friday the 26th. Late Saturday evening I received a call from the customer service manager at Kalahari who stated that other guests were currently in the room and were made aware of the situation, checked the room with housekeeping and were ok with staying in the room. I was told that the room would be inspected on Monday morning. I replied....why would you not move the current guest anyway as a courtesy because of the situation? I know I would not want to stay in a room that another guest made a report of bed bugs in. The manager stated that bedbugs are a nusiance not a health hazard. I beg to differ because I have very itchy bites and my husband son and I suffered a horrible reaction! Almost a week later and they are still there! I explained to the manager that we have a very expensive bed bug zip up cover when we bought our new bed two years ago and have NEVER had bites like this from our home! She stated the cover does not work and insinuated that the bites happened here at home! She was very defensive and said that Kalahari will take no responsibility for bed bugs and they are not liable. She also stated that begbugs are found everywhere, including movie theaters! She was very unsympathetic and didn't seem to care about what I was telling her. the whole conversation was defensive. She stated that inspectors would check the room today Monday the 29th and we would get a call back. About an hour after we spoke on Saturday, I called back and left a voicemail stating that we will need a copy of the inspection report. Today 4/29/13, she called my husabnd and stated there was no bed bugs in the room and was again defensive with my husbands statements. She refused to offer a us a copy of the inspection report. This whole situation is unbelieveable and we stated that we are very concerned that the bugs could have been brought home with us. I'm also concerned about the other family that supposibly was ok with staying in the room before it was properly inspected! I am even more troubled that she called it "just a nusiance issue". I will also be contacting the local health department as well as an attorney to find out what my rights are. We will never again visit this establishment and I worry about going to any other hotel in the near future! I am very disappoited at the customer service at Kalahari and the way this situation was delt with! It's ashmae because other that the bed bug issue (which is a BIG deal) we had an enjoyable time at the waterpark and resort!

Room Tip: Check for Bedbugs!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We very much appreciate your feedback. While I'm glad to hear that everyone had fun, I am sorry to hear about your other concerns. Our team is fully trained in identifying and preventing the spread of Bed Bugs. On a very rare occasion, a guest can bring bed bugs in. At that time, our trained housekeeping team will identify and correct the issue. We have strict procedures we implement to ensure the situation is corrected. We also bring a state licensed professional and company to heat the room to ensure that the room is treated and properly corrected. Please make no mistake, our team is fully prepared and trained to address this concern. For your case specifically we did bring in a state licensed professional as Su had mentioned. Also, I believe that you have connected Nick and were able to work through some of your frustrations. I am glad to hear that you were able to connect. Thank you again for reaching out to us. Nick mentioned he will be in contact again with you this week! Take care and thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I found this resort to be very clean and service oriented. I was there for a convention and my husband joined later with his son to go to the waterpark and it was the perfect blend. My stepson got sick at dinner and my husband had to leave and take him to the room abruptly and the waitress took his meal off the bill which I did not expect. All staff acknowledges you when walking by and someone is always cleaning something .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Roseville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'm going to base this review off the two stays I did over the course of last year. The first stay being with the Colossalcon Group back in June. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that our room was very large for a Standard room. (I travel for business reasons very frequently) Unlike most hotels your room comes with a microwave and mini fridge. Major kudos for that one! Beds were very comfortable, and I slept well throughout the weekend we stayed. Only complaint about this room during this particular stay was the small size of the bathroom. I understand they took the sink and mirror portion away from the rest of the bathroom and put it in the rooms common area but the tub took up 80% of the bathroom. During this particular trip we didn't use the waterparks or other attractions as we were selling at the convention. The convention area is very spacious, and was clean until some sloppy attendees started throwing trash on the floor. Come on, people it's not hard to walk an extra 3 feet to a trash can. We had dinner at their Great Karoo Restaurant and we were very pleased with the service as well as the quality of the food. Overall this stay went off without any problems!

Our second trip was during a discount return customer deal, instead of business I brought my family with me and we took advantage of your waterparks and other attractions. The room was the same as before except this particular room had a lot of damages to the furniture. Not something that hindered our time there, just something you'd think would be fixed. The waterpark was great fun. Was there almost all day. My only complaints were the outdoor hot tubs. There is a clear sign outside the entrance saying there is an age requirement and that there must be a responsible adult with them if so. There was this group of like 6 kids, taking turns jumping into the hottub cannon ball style. The combination of their parents not watching them, as well and no staff on hand to control this situation made this a real annoying portion of our trip that was supposed to be relaxing. Because of their little surprise jumps I got a good amount of chemicals in my eyes, which burned for days after. For breakfast we got the great karoo breakfast buffet, great deal with the variety you guys offer. We also bought pastries from the little shop next to it, mine was very fresh but my mom's was stale and dry. Overall a good trip, but it had it's moments.

Also, I'd like to take the time to point out how awesome your reservation staff is. Everytime I make a reservation with you guys they are always extremely nice and very helpful!

Room Tip: You can request which side of the resort you'd like your room during reservation. Request waterp...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We are just so thankful that you have stayed with us twice. Thank you! Furthermore, thank you so much for taking time out to review us! I am sorry to hear about the hangups of your last visit and I will be sure to pass it along. When you return, please don't hesitate to let us know on property and we will be sure to make it right the best we can. Also, I will be sure to pass along to our reservations team and supervisor. You will have for sure made someone's day :) Thank you again for everything and we will see you again soon! Take care!
Elkhart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Took advantage of a groupon arrived Sunday at noon, 4/21/2013, stayed until Monday till 3:00.
2 bedroom suite,full kitchen nice and clean, was able to have up to 6 for $159. What a great value. It was busy when we arrived took @ 15 mins to per register and get park tickets. Was told I could call and check status of room so at 3 I did just that. Was told my room was done left kids in park while I checked in which was disappointed only one room was ready and I'd have to wait till about 4. They were very helpful as I had brought all my things in, they stored and offered to bring to my room at 4 so I just went back to the park. Lines were down to half of what they were. Room was ready at 4:00. It was @ 15 min walk to room. The rooms were great, clean and nice soap, comfy beds nice leather furniture.
We went to The Great Karoo for dinner buffet, which was $25 for adults and $13 for kids kids liked the desserts and chicken fingers, I wasn't impressed prime rib was dry shrimp tasted terrible potatoes were out of a box and corn out of a can. wished I would have used the kitchen in the room and saved $126. For 2 adults and 3 kids, 1 didn't want to eat it. That was the only one who didn't get an upset stomach.
The waterpark was a lot of fun. Be careful the orange coaster is a neck breaker. I was whipped lashed and was bruised its been 3 days and I still hurt. I'd stick to the water slides even if you don't have back problems, after this ride you will. My favorite was the wave rider. The employees were absolutely outstanding with the kids. All 6 of us didn't want to leave, everyone really enjoyed it. My legs and butt thanked me. Great workout.

Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We're thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our Living Social offer! That's so great and we can't thank you enough for sharing! I am sorry to hear about your buffet at the Great Karoo. That is disappointing and I will be sure to pass along to our team within that outlet. Thank you for letting us know! I'm glad everyone had a blast in the waterpark. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon! Take care and thank you again!
Grand Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our 1st time to Kalahari Waterparks. We got a great deal from Living Social deals. The room was bigger than we thought it would be, 2 rooms put together. 2 bathrooms, 3 beds and a pull out sleeper couch, a working fireplace. Lots of room. The waterpark is HUGE and since we went during the week no long wait for any ride. Lots of places to eat. We even did the black light golfing. The indoor-outdoor hot tub was the best. The drinks were so yummy. It was so nice to get some sun while relaxing outdoors. So much to do. The outside waterpark was not open yet but we did get to see some of the animals at the little zoo they have. We really want to go back to try the zip lines. There is so much for kids of all ages to do.

Medina, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Unbelievable family place!!! Have to see it to believe it!! Everything you need is under one roof. We went for my daushters ninth birthday and she had an amazing time. We will derfinetly be back in the summer while I am on vacation. The park is amazing and the rooms we very comfortable. The only thing I would have a minamul complaint about is the park does not open until 10am. I thought it would be open an hour earlier for guests staying at the resort and the open at 10 for everyone else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are just so thankful that you could celebrate your daughter's 9th Birthday with us! We're even more glad to hear everyone had a blast! The park does open at 10 for resort guests and then 11 for everyone else. Weekends are at the 9am time frame. Hope this helps! I just wanted to send you a note, thanking you for taking the time to review us! Looking forward to seeing you again this summer! Take care.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was our second stay at the Kalahari Resort--this time with a five year old and two year old. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite using a voucher I purchased through LivingSocial.com. This was a tremendous value! The room was great, and the kids loved the waterpark. They were entertained for hours because there is so much to do! To top it off, we were all so comfortable in the spacious two bedroom suite! The staff was so helpful and extremely friendly! I can't say more about the service. Sometimes I wish there weren't "hidden" extra costs (like locker rentals if you arrive before your room is ready and resort fees), but our room was such a great value it made the "extras" a little less bothersome! If I could offer one tip, I'd recommend going on a Sunday night. For the typical family this only requires one day of vacation or missed school, but the room rates are better and the park is less crowded.

Room Tip: Opt for the bigger rooms and request ones away from the elevators. Our first stay was a standard ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!