“Great resort... Happy to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great resort... Happy to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Returned from a 2-day stay at Kalahari, after reading thru many reviews here on TripAdvisor. Wanted to mention some things about our stay that were either in line or were contrary to some opinions.

We did stay during spring break, which means--- occasional lines during check in, but they were operating extra check in stations, so the really long lines were only present from approx 11AM to 1PM. We checked in at 6PM and walked right up. First, the room--- We had a savannah bed in the Sands wing closest to the water park. Not a great view, but didn't spend much time in the room. 2 queens, quite comfy. Room was generously oversized. Outlet was under the table for the laptop, oops. It was well themed, but not as well as Great Wolf's. Room was clean. Toiletries were small, but OK.

The waterpark- Biggest indoor park in the country. Check. Lots of cool slides. Check. Lots of fun. Check. Combo Indoor/outdoor hottubs with swim up bar-- two!. Check. Anyone shorter than 48" wears vests-- check. Son (46") hated this part. They did close the lazy river for lack of guards (really???--- in spring break peak time??? the resort was totally booked in advance! C'mon water park mgmt- get your act together!!!) but otherwise the park was well staffed and I felt safe. Huge wave pool under the transparent roof, so wear sunscreen if your'e there a lot. Slide that go outdoors were not cold, a neat change from some other parks.

The outdoor section- a really neat addition to the waterpark genre. An outdoor zoo was open during spring break, the kids had a hoot hand feeding the animals. Admission is $5, and food is $10 or $25, so not a real bad deal for an 1-2 hour entertainment. Even if it's 28 degrees. In the summer it must be a hoot- the outdoor water features, the zip lines! woo hoo!

The food- Absolutely loved the food. This is clearly well done food. In house culinary supervision/chefs clearly shows. Better than Disney. And Great wolf. We were there during peak times, so there was a breakfast buffet and a dinner buffet-- highly recommended. Lots to choose from. Pastries are made in house, the cinnamon rolls and pecan pie were awesome. Fresh salads, neat pastas, casseroles, lots to try. (see my pic of bfast buffet pastries only) Good service. We got the Family fun option that gave us bfast buffets and a $40 credit to the dinner buffet- still owed $36 for the 4 of us, but it was definitely worth it, and still a bargain!. All you can eat crab legs? Yeah baby!

The bottom line- No good excuse to close water attractions when the whole resort is booked solid... simply none. Very disappointed with this (minor) part. Still, no other regrets on our visit... Will go back. Book 2 days. And get the Family Fun pack. You'll thank me.

Room Tip: Sands, on 2nd floor. Near the waterpark.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

2,083 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Shelby, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is the 4th time we have been here, but only the first time on our own. We have always been with a very large group that has always handled our check ins and provided us with most of our food and activities. This time was not a disappointment, check in was very fast and easy. Midweek was a great time to go as the waterpark wasn't as busy as our previous visits. The only negative isn't the resort's fault, it is the fault of the parents who let their kids run up and down the halls while people are trying to sleep. Wish we would have stayed for more than one day this time, but skipping one day of school was enough for now! Thank you for offering the Beat the Clock deals, we look forward to coming again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
You are so very welcome for the Beat the Clocks. Were just thrilled you are able to come visit us! Thank you and thank you for taking the time to review us! I am quite partial to off-season periods too, so I can have the run of the place. Thank you for sharing and we can't wait to see you for your 5th visit!
Roseville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Many of our friends have been telling us to go to Kalahari. We found an excellent deal online, BOGO. We had a blast. There were many activities to do beside the water-park. This was very helpful since my daughter wasn't feeling up to the water-park when we arrived the first day. We played in the arcade and played black light mini golf then had a very nice dinner in The Reserve restaurant. The water-park and the hotel were meticulously clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially our belll-hop, Jake. We really enjoyed our stay and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not far from the water-park since the hotel is so large.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Had a great visit! Water park was fun, one night stay included waterpark passes for the day before and after. Only complaint was the "reserves" restaurant was not very good. Lots to do for kids of all ages. The indoor tree fort was fun for the kids as well

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
I just wanted to be sure to send you a quick note thanking you for taking the time to review and let you know how thrilled we are you had a blast! We are excited to see you again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our second trip to this resort/in-door water park and the service has been exceptional. From the front desk staff at the Sands to the Bellman. These folks go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
So wonderful to hear! I just wanted to be sure I sent a note thanking you for your kind words about our team! I am passing it along now. I know you will have made some days a little brighter! Thank you again! Take care and see you again soon!
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The following is a letter I submited on Kalahari web site still waiting for a response...

In my recent stay 12-14 April I would like to my express concern I had while staying at your hotel. First, we got to the hotel checked around 3:30 went to the water park and enjoyed our evening. We got back to our around 9:30 showered and went to eat at the restaurant near the lobby. We had to wait at least 30 minutes to get our food, once we got it (simple meal hamburgers, salads, club sandwich) the burgers were well over cooked the club was dry, and they forgot to put dressing on the salad. After waiting so long for the food another 10 minutes went by before the server came back to check, we were too tired to even complain. We ate the food ($64.00 meal with the quality of a cheap dinner) and had to wait about 20 minutes for our check, and once we got the check another 15 minutes before we finally got to find someone to give the payment. I considered simply walking off because of how long it was taking, but wife was the one who got and looked from someone to pay.
On day two we got up ate at the buffet for breakfast and enjoyed the arcade. After our food settle we went to the water park, the lines for the rides were at least 50 minutes so we decide to go the wave pool. In the wave pool my children keep getting hit in the head a smashed due to the large number of people in the pool. It felt as if we were in a mash pit at a concert instead of a “resort hotel”. We left the wave and decide to go relax in the hot tube: there was a 15 minute wait to even get in the hot tube so we decided to leave and go back to the room because it was too overcrowded in the park. We went back to the room and I called guest services to ask if it was always this busy in the park and I was told “I know it is busy we are at capacity and at 3:00 pm all the people from yesterday with white bands would be out” To pass the time we got our children picture taking with the “leo the lion” and went to play a round of mini golf. After that was done it was 3:00 so we went back to our room changed and went back to water park. At this point it was a little better, but still over crowded. We went to the hot tube still had to wait for 10 minutes this was around 4:30 once we got in to the tube there was still people with the white bands in the hot tube. I went out to ask the life guard why there still yesterdays bands still in the park and he looked dumbfounded, his response was “what is today color, oh yeah pink, to tell you the truth I wasn’t even paying attention. All I can do is call a band checker to come verify the guest bands”. After that we stayed a few more minutes in the hot tube and went to wave pool with the same outcome “concert mash pit”. At this point I so upset and the treatment from the life guards and overcrowding (after see at least 20 more people with white bands) we went back to room order a movie and just looked forward to leaving.
As far as the hotel room itself rm #2258 the second bed in the room was very worn out, I could feel every spring in the bed, and the cleanliness was questioned after we found a dirty sock from a previse guest. Upon checkout I spoke with a manger named Sue and told here all of complaints from the previous day and her only response was sorry. Never once did she ask “how can make this up to you”, only sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay. I informed her I would most like go on tripvisor and give poor rating and she said “good that’s how we learn”. Overall I got the impression from her, your leaving we got your money so we don’t care. I do not see myself ever staying at your hotel again, and will not recommend this hotel to anyone after $500.00 for a two night stay and another $500.00 at the hotel on food and what not, I did not get my moneys worth. Please contact me if you’d like to discuss this further.
Respectfully,
Jeff R

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Jeff for taking the time to review our resort. I believe that you have been in contact with our team, both Su and Brendan. I am sorry that you felt as though they did not have an acceptable resolution to your concerns. During Spring Break it was busier throughout the resort as you noted, however, I am very sorry this negatively impacted your stay and we did not deliver to the level of experience you would expect. We thank you for taking the time to review us. As Su indicated, we do take all the information provided by our guests and do our best to ensure we make changes when we are able and constantly strive to go beyond expectations. Again, I am sorry this was not the case for your stay. I do believe you have Brendan's contact info and if you need any additional help, please don't hesitate to reach out to him. Thank you again for your time and take care.
chicago illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This place is massive! The Resort is set up with the Water Park and main lobby which contains all the restaurants and shops in the front and rooms behind so if you have any restrictions you may want to request a room as close to the Water Park as possible. We stayed in the Sands section of the resort which is the furthest point from the Water park so needless to say we did alot of walking. The room we stayed in was the Hut room, which was their most reasonable room and was more than sufficient. I read a few complaints about checking out and will say it requires some patience. Getting a cart was not a problem for us as there were plenty, the problem was once you were ready to exit you will encounter a line of people with carts that stretches all the way down the hall trying to get an elevator. It reminded me of airplanes on a runway all waiting to takeoff! The wait was so bad I gave up waiting for the elevator and used the stairs and made at least 5 trips back and forth to load the car. My advice is load the night before check out and just keep a bag with your daily needs handy to avoid the chaos. The resort was a lot of fun for the Kids and had a ton of activities to offer such as pottery to mini bowling and more. We would stay here again and look forward to checking out their other property in the Dells.

Room Tip: request a room closest to the front of the building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!