“Great for Everyone!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh
“Great for Everyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

The room (African Queen Room) was clean and well designed.
The park itself was clean. Large amount of lifeguards watching the people. We went on a Thursday-Friday (until 3PM) and it wasn't crowded. It's worth taking the kids out of school for the experience rather that long lines (we've done that ,too)

The food is rather expensive, ofcourse, so pack some snacks in your beach bag, drinks, too.

The new addition of the wave pool and some new slides made the teenagers in our group thrilled. We do have a couple of bruises here and there, but they were worth it!

If you can, take atvantage of the fact that you can begin your waterpark experience at noon of check-in day and stay as late as 3pm of check out day. That's enough for just about anyone!

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — some rafts were heavy to carry up the stairs to the slides.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

I wanted to take my kids away for a fun filled trip to Kalahari Waterpark in Ohio, mission accomplished.... but I was also dismayed by the decline in the establishment's overall quality. Yes, the waterpark itself is large and impressive and your kids will have a ton of fun, but I feel they have given up some of their basic customer service since the last time I visited.
Start off with the room- there was very visible dust/dirt between the bed and the wall- I do not think it has ever been vacuumed. Also all of the mugs and glasses had either fingerprints and/or lipstick on them- yuck.
Now the water park had at least 3 attractions shut down for one reason or another. Some were maintenance, others were because they were "at 13% capacity" and it came down to the bottom line. I understand- business is business- but I paid for 100% of the experience, no less. Also- the "lifeguards" seemed less than enthused to be there. A few were rather negligent in their duty. Two in particular- a young man was asleep at the top of the stairs to one of the slides, a different one was actually text messaging while runnig on of the automated rides- offering us no guidance or assistance at all. This was completely unacceptable and the manager was made aware of the situation. Some of the entrances and stairs to the slides were dirty- garbage, showercaps, gum, and food wrappers were still in the same place in the morning as they were the previous day.
I also purchased a package which included breakfast the next morning. I was looking forward to a good meal since the last time I was there it was outstanding. Not this time- the food was literally cold- not cooled down because it sat too long before served. Cold like it just came out of the refrigerator. Once again the manager was made aware of the situation.
I am not one to complain, but this time is different. I spent very good money to stay there- and was very disappointed. I really thought this waterpark was the best choice to make out of the bunch- but I will think twice about staying there again.

• Liked — Family friendly
  • Disliked — Overall decline
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

We stayed at Kalahari on Mon 4/28. I cannot believe people go to this waterpark on the weekend. If you go on a Monday you walk right up to the counter and check in at 12 pm. You get a great clean room right away. You load up a cart, go to your room, and head for the waterpark without any waiting.

Once you are in the waterpark you have your choice of tables. There are plenty of towels, and staff to assist you. The staff is attentive and friendly. There are no lines. You walk up to any slide and wait a minute to go down. My husband went on the flow rider five times in fifteen minutes. The wave pool had lots of room for us to float, swim, have fun in.

My kids are 4 and 6. We went to Kalahari to see the new expansion. We were there about a year ago and the kids were a little overwhelmed by it all. The expansion is awesome. The wave pool is great when the waves are going. The kids can sit in intertubes or float around with life jackets. They can stand in the pool because only 1/2 of it is deep. The waves go off periodically and they were loving the big swimming pool. The new basketball area is better because it is 3 feet deep as compared to 3 ft 6 which is what the older area is. The kids area is definately better. The old area had 2 little slides-it was a joke. The new area has at least 6 seperate slide stations that are individual play areas.

My husband loved the "toilet" ride. Again-no line at all. We went on the family tube ride which was great. It is dark but has tiny lights along the sides and no one gets drenched- you don't get wet at all. We didn't get to go on the toilet ride that uses an tube.
My daughter was afraid of that but it looked much calmer than the body toilet ride.

I have to say that the water was sooo warm. This was the best surprise of all becuase it was freezing when we were there in 2007. The water was warmer than Great Wolf (been there 3 times). The whole waterpark was warm. It really made a difference.

We always eat elswhere. There are so many restaurants down the street. You can even go to super Walmart or Meijer to pick up whatever you need-just down the street. Kalahari prices are rediculous for food and their pizza looked aweful. We ordered a pizza down the street at Danny Boys and I picked it up.

The rooms at Great Wolf are better. They are larger and they offer rooms with bunk beds. Those are great because the kids have their own little area with their own TV. We don't spend much time in our room so I would say Kalahari was better than Great Wolf. Kalahari was also cheaper.

• Liked — Warm water
  • Disliked — Food prices
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

We had the village suite for Friday and Saturday. We checked in to the "Sands" front desk, and it was very smooth, the gentlemen was very helpful and prompt. When we got there the toilet seat was broken, they fixed that within minutes. After being in the room 30 minutes our son stepped on a needle. Called the front desk and was put on hold about 10 minutes, hung up called again all they said was "should we send an EMT" No manager was there to talk to. We did get a call back later that night but we were in the waterpark. Was told to contact Mgr we did in the early morning the next day and he never returned the call! That is great customer service. Spending over 900 for 2 night you would think they could call a guest back.. The following night we called to talk to someone in security because the people above us was throwing water and toilet paper onto our patio, the operator gave me to a rude manager. All she said was "OK?" and hung up. The new section of the waterpark is awesome, its a shame the "old" section is rundown and they are not keeping up with that. There needs to be more bell carts, we had to wait over 45 minutes to get our luggage out of the rooms. Mind you a housekeeper was knocking at our door at 9:45 when we didnt answer the door on the 2nd knock ( we were getting dressed) she opened the door and said "oops, sorry but are you planning on being out of the room by check out at 11?" nothing like rushing us in the morning. We have stayed here 4 times before but things are worse then they ever been. We will trying out Maui Sands.

• Liked — fun waterpark new section
  • Disliked — bad customer service, unsatisfactory room
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2008

Spent 2 nights here, April 14th and 15th, and absolutely loved it. We were really lucky - - - not at all crowded and walked right up to check in at 12 noon with absolutely no wait. Plenty of carts to bring our luggage to the room, and plenty of tubes and chairs in the waterpark. There were virtually no lines for any of the rides; never waiting for more than a couple of people. We sat at the same table throughout our 3 days at the waterpark; far more empty chairs and tables than those that were occupied. We went on all of the rides many times. Loved the wavepool! We are a family of 6, with 4 kids ages 7, 10, 14 and 16. All of us had a fabulous time. We paid $209 for each night, which would have been only $169 for a family of 4. We got $10 in tokens, a large pizza and 4 sodas, and 4 rounds of miniature golf included with our package for each night of our stay. It was a really great deal which we saw online. The arcade was a blast, and we enjoyed a number of the resort activities that were offered during the day - - - - - free tokens as the prizes! Did lots of souvenir shopping; plenty to choose from at the different shops. Had a few treats from the candy shop, but chose to save a bit of money and eat dinner down the road (lots of restaurants to choose from). We brought food from home for breakfast and lunch - - - but we did have those free pizzas too!

This was a great vacation that goes down as one of our favorites. We will definitely go back to Kalahari Resort!

• Liked — Everything!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Romeo, MIchigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

I saw a deal online for a night's stay for $169 and called to book it. The lady on the phone was very nice & let me pay with a check instaed of Credit Card, I was even able to call the concierge & have a goody basket ready in my room for the kids. We checked in without any problem & had no problems parking or getting a cart for our luggage. We had a room with a fireplace, plasma tv and balcony. The kids loved the waterpark, now with the wavepool. When we were here last summer they didn't have as much for the kids, but now it's great! With our package we got free breakfast for the kids in the Great Karoo and we had a free pizza & pop for dinner in the room. The kids got free tokens for video games too and had a blast! I even enjoyed a drink from the Ivory Coast Bar, I wouldn't pay $20 for a souvineir glass though, I took a plastic cup instead! I think the locker rental is a bit outragous! $5 for a locker is too much! BUt overall we had a great time and no big complaints! I plan on going again this summer with my family, kids 3, 5 and 9.

• Liked — The room was clean & had a fireplace & a plasma TV
  • Disliked — One bed was sagging in the middle
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lansing, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

Four of our family party suffered from vomiting and diarrhea following an April 2-3, 2008 stay.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!