“Nice mid-winter break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Detroit, Michigan
“Nice mid-winter break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked a combination suite (three room, sleeps 8). It was huge - full kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms. Only real negative is that these rooms are in the newest wing and are the farthest from the lobby and waterpark. The staff was very friendly - really liked the luggage service. We ordered pizza from the on-site restaurant and it was good (although more expensive than ordering from an outside company). We made breakfast in our room, so we did not eat in any of the restaurants. The waterpark is starting to show some wear, but was fun nonetheless. Even with the crowds on a weekend, the lines were tolerable. I really enjoyed the 21+ indoor/outdoor hot tub and swim-up bar. We even had a small snowball "fight" outside.

Kalahari is more expensive than the other indoor waterparks in Sandusky, but sometimes it is worth the money.

Room Tip: The newest rooms are nicer, but they are on the opposite end of the hotel from the waterpark.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Snowball fight in a swimsuit?! Sounds wonderful :) Thank you so much for sharing and coming to visit us again! Our pleasure to have you and great to hear that you were able to take advantage Combination Suite Deal this past Friday! Thank you for the tips for our future guests. Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon. Be well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Shaker Heights, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

When Kalahari first opened we stayed there quite often, like a second home. Unfortunately due to an illness and death in the family we only had one visit in 2012. Reading the reviews have me concerned, as I am preparing to book a room for my daughters 16th birthday. I certainly don't want to bring a group of girls, let alone my chidren into a place that has changed so drastically. Now i don't know what to do.

Room Tip: I love the Lodge. Looking at a Villa for my daughters sweet sixteen Don't like that you need t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you Kim for reaching out to us! I am very sorry to hear about the personal struggles over the past year, and I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. I do hope you will return once more to Kalahari for your daughter's 16th birthday and we are given the opportunity to show you the level of customer service you have always known and deserved. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to let me know directly. More than happy to help. KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. Looking forward to seeing you soon! Take care!

~Kassie
New Hudson, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for our daughters birthday. Our room was very clean and had a great balcony. We met the head of housekeeping, she was very nice and helpful.
And she showed us a large suite room.
Would love to stay in one next time!
The waterpark was a lot of fun!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
That is just so wonderful to hear! Please tell your daughter Happy Birthday for me! Thank you for visiting us and I hope that we see you again soon! Maybe even in a large suite! :) Take care!
Rochester, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I spent the first weekend in January at Kalahari. There were so many people everywhere, it was ridiculous. We arrived at 1pm on Saturday and had to wait in a line 30 people long just to check in. We had to wait in a line to get a key for a locker. We had to wait at least a half hour for each water slide. There were just too many people there to enjoy the place. When we actually got to use the attractions at the water park, they were great. I just don't think all the hassle made the $300 (after resort fees) per night worthwhile.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Painesville, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Traveled for a one night getaway with my husband and daughter for her birthday. We stayed in the Resort "Hut Room". There was hair on the bed sheets. The worst part was the fact that the room next to us was having a party. We tried to phone the front desk and ask for assistance and they were extremely careless and unhelpful with our situation. Long story short, we paid for an overnight stay, ended up leaving at 11:30 that night because of the noise from next door. The establishment was unwilling to refund our money for the room even though we (the quiet family) had no other choice than remove our daughter from a bad environment. We proceeded to leave and the people from next door followed us to the lobby heckling and threatened us the whole time, with our daughter present. There was no security or staff to be found. The indoor waterpark is loaded with trashy people. There is a lack of security and the lifeguards are clueless. There is so much vulger behavior and nothing done about it. While waiting in line for any slide, prepare to hear your share of cursing from the classless people who visit this place. I was at the bar ordering a drink for us and I got a chair pushed into my rib cage by an angry person who was not getting waited on quick enough by the bar staff. This was our third visit to the facility. Each time it has gotten worse. Lastly we ordered food from the Pizza Pub. When we got it delivered to the room, my dinner was wrong. Terrible expierence and not what I would expect from a place that supposedly strives to be a family establishment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you Janeen for reaching out to us so that we are able to look into this for you. As a mother myself, I can certainly understand wanting to make sure you daughter is in a good environment. I am sorry to hear that you felt otherwise. We do have a full security team constantly on staff, so I will be following up with them to let them know what has occurred. I very much appreciate your thoughts and letting us know of your experience. I do hope in the future, you will try us again, to show you the experience you had the first time. Take care and I hope to see you again soon.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just a one night escape, we spent a Friday night at Kalahari Resort in Sandusky. Our room was clean, very spacious and updated. We really appreciated how the resort is decorated; the African artwork, sculptures and décor throughout the resort was very impressive. The entire staff was very friendly and welcoming. Wow, not used to service like this. Our meals were awesome and the servers were exceptional.

We only spent an hour at the water park; we hadn’t planned on it, but will the next time we go back. Highly recommend this resort; especially for families with children or for family reunions.

Room Tip: If walking long distances to your room is a problem, request a room closer to the resort or main lob...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I have stayed and visited Kalahari many times, usually every 3 or 4 months to take a day or a weekend getaway. We always have a great time. We have stayed on the property a few times. The first time we stayed we stayed in the Lodge room which boasted a whirlpool tub. My husband I figured oh how nice this would be a great way to have some fun and romance together. However, once we got to that room, we realized that it was simply a regular size tub with jets in it, not big enough to fit two people, unless it would be two very small people.

This second time we stayed we booked the wanna get away package which included either the lodge or king whirlpool room, a 40 dollar gas card, pizza and cokes, a miniature golf game. These were great. When my husband called to book the room, granted it was the day we were coming over, he was told there was no more king whirlpool rooms and they were sold out. However, we when checked in, the lady at the desk, who was very welcoming said we were in fact in the king whirlpool room. This room is really great for a nice romantic time especially if you are checking in after the water park is closed for the night. Word of caution: do not use more then a few cap fulls of bubble solution in the whirlpool. The room was great. It had a mini fridge that we brought our own breakfast to have in the room, great way to save money.

We entered the park early as you can do being a resort guest and that is great because on this Saturday, 2/2/13, the park was extremely busy once it opened the general public. Before it did we were able to get on many of the slides with only a short wait, once the park opened to everyone else the wait times increased to well over 30 minutes for all the rides, including the smaller ones. My husband and I decided it was time to relax a little bit since we had gotten our riding in early in the day. We went down the lazy river only to met with a group of very loud and abrasive young adults who continued to push and shove their way down the lazy river. One of them even knocked me out of my raft and then looked at me like I was crazy. Then as we were floating, we were met large amounts of cursing, and yelling and wooing, and the life guards did nothing about it. I thought this was meant to be a lazy river, not a scream and shout and push and turn it into a rapid. We then thought that maybe the 21+ hot tub would be better...once again we were wrong. it was snowing so I expected it to be cold, but what I did not expect was yet another group of loud, yelling, seemingly very drunk adults who monopolized the entire hot tub and enjoyed making comments about those who were not in their group. We went over the other hot tub that is 21+ and the volume level came down a few decibels however we were soon unprompted began being hit with snowballs coming from the hot tub we had just left. This was very rude and nothing was being down about it. They were cursing and jumping in and out and pushing women in bikinis into the snow while everyone else simply laughed about it. I'm not saying I don't mind people having fun, but there has to be some line somewhere. It was suppose to be relaxing and everything was just loud and like a drunken fraternity house. Everything else was to be expected visiting on Saturday during Peak Season for an indoor water park.

The food at the Reserve was great and our waiting was wonderful and sweet and the food was great for the price. If you want a great resort and don't mind paying a little bit more for a a nice room then this is a great place to be. If you want to an alcohol induced good time with friends then stay near the swim up bar. For a family resort, I must be honest and say some of the language and actions of other people were not to be appropriate. We will be back again but maybe on a day when young adults should be in class.

Room Tip: Rooms with the king whirlpool are great for couples looking for a little one on one time. If you wa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us and continually visit us! It is certainly our pleasure to have you! I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the rowdy bunch of young adults. I do hope this didn't ruin your stay. I can certainly understand having fun and getting carried away, but that should not negatively impact anyone else. Please accept my apologies for this. I look forward to seeing you again soon! Take care and please let us know how your next stay goes! Take care.

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!