“Nice, but temper your expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #1 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Nice, but temper your expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is one of my kids' favorite places in the whole world. Their father and I were less enchanted with it, but only because the entire resort is loud, wet, and full of young staffers who are anxious to blow the whistle or keep your kid out of the hot tub/out of some pool he's too short for. It's fun for a weekend trip, but not more than 2 days. The rooms are very nice and the pools, both indoor and outdoor, are incredible. I would have liked some comfortable lounging chairs where Mom and Dad can sit and enjoy the sunshine while the kids play, but no luck.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for visiting us and so glad to hear that the kids loved it. Hopefully when you return, the adults can find a place to have a little escape. We do have an adult only hot tub and a swim up bar. Maybe that would help? Also during the summer, there are lunge chairs outside, near the kiddie activities you can relax at or inside, we do have the roof on the upper deck, which allows you tan, indoors! Hopefully these tips will help. Very much looking forward to seeing you again and can't thank you enough for sending us your thoughts! Take care!

2,121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

this was my fifth trip to Kalahari and it was also my last. i have never had any problems before but this trip was a nightmare. first off there was a youth group at the hotel and i don't think there were any chaperones with them because these teens were running through the halls all night long and having parties in their rooms until late at night. at one point, something was thrown off the balcony above our room and made a huge crash noise. then there was when the bars let out. lots and lots of intoxicated people also walking through the halls yelling and staggering until 3 am. we made two phone calls to the front desk to complain and nothing changed. i then got dressed and went to the front desk at 2am to complain in person to the manager on duty and he really did not seem to care. his answer to me about the intoxicated people was that they "were having a good time" and that there was nothing he could do. he then had to have a security guard escort me back to my room because it was not safe for me to go back by myself. if you have children and are looking for a "family friendly" resort this isn't the place to go anymore, go up the road to the Great Wolf lodge instead. it seems Kalahari is more focused on making money at their bars then they are in providing a safe and quiet's night sleep. very disappointed.

Room Tip: rooms on main level are extremely loud
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am very sorry to hear about your experience. We certainly appreciate you continually visiting us and I am very discouraged to hear that you will not be joining us again. We do very much focus on families primarily, I want to ensure you of that. We also have a full security staff on at all times, that looks into every complain. I'm sorry that you didn't see the results of that right away. I would never want you to take away this opinion of our resort. If you would allow for me to follow up directly, that would be greatly appreciated, please feel free to email me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com and I will look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out to me and I hope to hear from you soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Great jungle themes, huge fun-looking water park, lots of visual fun. Made for families with
children. I was there for business and my husband came along. Not much for couples. I do feel sorry for parents because there is a huge beautiful candy counter in the middle of the lobby that every kid will beg to buy from.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you Sally for taking the time to review us. We're so pleased you were able to join us on business, and bring along your husband. We do have some adult activities throughout the resort, I thought I would point out, just in case these tips help. We do have an adult only swim up bar and hot tub. That is in the back corner segregated from the rest of the waterpark. Also, the spa offers some couple packages, that are so amazing! Last, The Reserve after 10pm and LongNecks in the Convention Center are both adults only. Hopefully these items will help for next time. We so thankful you chose to stay with us and we can't wait to see you again soon. Thanks!
Broadview Heights, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The park was dirty and rooms were dirtier. The room smelled very bad like mildew and smoke. Our room was overrun with ants and our feet were covered in ant bites. It was difficult to see at first how severe the ant problem was because of the dark carpet but when i put a white washcloth on the floor it was covered in ants in no time. We had to fumagate our luggage when we got home. The sheets and towels were never changed during our stay and the coffee pot wasn't even emptied. The bathtub and sink were clogged. When we reported the issues they did nothing about it. THey didn't even seem suprised and just shrugged it off. Not even an apology.

The park was dirty. It was way to overcrowded over 1.5 hour wait for victoria falls ride. Wave pool had 1 person every square foot and the rafts kept forcing the little kids under water (very dangerous). The air was very cold in the waterpark and outside the park.

This is the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
While we certainly appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns, I am very discouraged to hear about your recent stay. We always strive to go beyond expectations, and this was clearly not met. I have communicated your stay recap with everyone from our Housekeeping Director to the General Manager. I will have someone look into this. If any concerns are brought to our attention on property, we certainly do our best to address those immediately. I will look into why your concerns were not handled. I do apologize for this and the experience you had with your stay. I hope in the future, you will take comfort in knowing I will be looking into this and give us another opportunity to show you the experience you not only would expect but deserve. Thank you for reaching out to us and take care.
steubenville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My room was very clean and well stocked with towels.. Many events going on.. Staff always pleasant and helpful. Great for families . Microwave and fridge a plus.. Excellent pizza! Waterpark was also very clean and well staffed with life guards..great stay.. Enjoyed the weekend there.

• Stayed November 2012
Sounds like a terrific little getaway and we can't thank you enough for sharing. I wanted to be sure to reach out to you and thank you for visiting and taking the time to review our resort. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our 3 time here its lots of fun there is so much to do We allways get a cabana by the wave pool for one day it is very relaxing and to have food and drink brought right to you. and you can wach ty and just chill out while the kids enjoy the wave pool ect. The room we had was awsome one with a fire place it was very nice when it was cold out side.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Love being in the waterpark (not to mention in a cabana) when it's cold outside. Just a great feeling! Love that you have been able to take advantage of that and you were able to come visit. I wanted to be sure to thank you for your review and returning to visit us! It is very much appreciated. Take care and hope to see you again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Ive been to kalahari water park many times.Its great to go with your family.they have a arcade a golf course and you can go on a zipline or go to the petting zoo.but the best thing eating the breaskfast buffet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!