“Great Place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Save Saved
You added Kalahari Resorts & Conventions to your Saves list
7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #1 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Bolton
“Great Place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is the 2nd year in a row we have stayed at this resort for an annual Cheerleading competition. The rates are good (compared to Great Wolf Lodge being more expensive), the staff are friendly, the food is excellent (reasonably priced) and the waterpark is clean and well organized.
The only complaint I have is the beds are somewhat old, worn and creak a lot (or at least the 2 rooms I've stayed in). I forgot to mention that to them when we checked out.

2,195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Overall we had a really fun, first visit to Kalahari. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and stayed Sunday night, departing Monday afternoon. Our room was not ready at 2pm but was ready by 3pm, the usual check-in time. Passing that hour was easy. The kids enjoyed playing in the treetop play area and arcade. We were happy that we received a free upgrade from a Hut Room to a Nomad room. It was really nice having the fireplace and we will definitely book this type of room again. We could see zebras and ostriches from or balcony; the kids really enjoyed this! The bell staff was quick to bring up our bags and housekeeping quickly answered our request for extra pillows.

Once in our rooms we got changed and headed straight to the water park. The park was still pretty busy for this point in the season and all rides were open. Our biggest disapointment was that we put off riding some of the slides because of the long lines, and we assumed we would catch them the next day when the park would be less crowded. The next day, the park was noticeably less crowded, however, most of the single rider slides were closed! This is the reason I did not give the resort 5 stars. We purposely went at this time to avoid large crowds and instead ended up wating in long lines for the few rides open. We also felt that the wave pool had too much chlorine and it was very irritating to mine and my daughters skin. These were our only complaints though.

We ate at the Reserve on the Sunday night we were there. Our food was good and our server was great. We ordered a pizza from the park grill on Monday afternoon and found this to be good too. The buffet breakfast was awesome. So much to choose from! Our server was again great and very attentive. All of the service was excellent - from the restaurants, to the front desk, to the retail employees. Everyone was very polite and eager to help and answer our questions. We plan to return and hope to plan a trip with a larger group.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
What a wonderful review and great details you provided for our future guests. Thank you so much for not only taking the time to review our resort, but also coming to visit us. We certainly appreciate you and your family very much. I can understand your frustration with the waterpark slides. I will pass that note along to our waterpark manager. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon and with a larger group. Sounds like added fun! Take care and let us know if you need anything in the meantime.
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a great indoor water park with enough rides to keep you busy all day. They even have a water park roller coaster that zips down its tube. The indoor / outdoor hot tub is a great place to take a break and enjoy an adult beverage.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My daughter competed at a Cheer Competition here Nov 2-4, 2012. Right from the moment you walk in the front door the friendly valet staff to the front desk staff everyone was welcoming and friendly. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The elevators were quick and the venue ran smoothly throughout the weekend. Despite the facility being completely sold out the waterpark was reasonably comfortable. The shopping nearby was amazing. The City has very friendly customer service everywhere we went! Would recommend this facility and the City of Sandusky Ohio as a place to visit :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Had so much fun with the whole family. Good restaurants and the waterpark kept us busy all day. Had plenty of entertainment for little kids and adults. Rooms were spacious enough to accommodate our whole party.

• Stayed March 2012
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Went to this waterpark for the first time and gotta say, very impressive! Having 3 small boys is hard enough but to find something that keeps them active and engaged is unheard of! We've been to other waterparks but this one beats the others in terms of sheer size alone. It is massive! We went during the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and thought it would be packed with Canadian travellers but the place is so big we didn't feel the crowd at all and by Sunday morning it was actually very quiet. The food was great in the dining hall (buffet) and service was outstanding. Only down sides - room was a little tired and the distance to get there and back from Toronto was a bit of a haul (7 hours end to end). Price was a little steep and the cabana rental prices were very expensive but worth it if you need a dedicated spot for changing, relaxing and regrouping. All-in-all, a worthwhile trip!

Room Tip: Try to ask for rooms on the main floor closer to the reception/main hall. Not too close but not so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting us for your Canadian Thanksgiving! We're thrilled you choose to celebrate with us. Throughout the year, we offer awesome packages and specials, so hopefully soon you will be able to take advantage of those soon and come visit again! I wanted to be sure to send you a note, thanking you for coming to visit us. Take care and hope to see you again soon!
Trenton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently attended the Kalahari Cup soccer tournament and stayed the waterpark. Both nights the 15 plus people staying in the suite next to my room stayed up screaming, banging on walls, running up and down the halls and making serious noise. The first night, after calling the front desk and getting no help, I actually knocked on the door of the people and told them that my girls had an early morning game and would like to get some sleep. At 11:45 they finally settled down enough to let us sleep. The next night they had two whole teams in the room and turned up the radio full blast. At 11 p.m. I called the front desk (It's supposed to be quiet hours after 10) and they sent up the security guard who spoke with the team's coach. At 11:30 I went to talk to the coach after I quite clearly heard him outline to the children how unrealistic I was being that they would be quiet. One of his players slammed the door in my face. I called the front desk again, security came again and apparently the manager came up as well. At 12:15 I called again and the clerk told me that the manager had told them to continue to have their party but they had to stop at 12 o'clock. Obviously there was little sleep going on in my room and I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me. The next morning the manager offered me breakfast...even though I had told them the night before that I had to be at the soccer fields quite early. That was all she could do and proceeded to tell me that they want the children to have a good time while there. I wanted my kids to have a good time too but at 211.00 per night I believe I should have had some expectation of being able to sleep. The team will be traveling to Sandusky again next year but I don't believe I will choose Kalahari, Great Wolf is right there as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for reaching out to us and choosing to stay with us during your daughters soccer tournament. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the late night noise and can certainly understand your concern. I do hope you will accept my sincerest apologies and I hope the team had a wonderful time at the soccer tournament. I will be sure to follow up with the night managers and our security team to ensure our procedures we have in place are enforced at all times. Thank you again for reaching out to us. I do hope you will give us another chance to show you the level of customer service you would not only expect but deserve. Take care and hope to see you next year too.

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!