“Better than I was expecting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lighthouse Point

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Lighthouse Point
You added Lighthouse Point to your Saves list
1 Cedar Point Drive, Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Syracuse, New York
“Better than I was expecting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

A group of my friends and I decided a trip to Cedar Point would be a great way to end our summer. We got the package deal with 3 day ride/slide tickets and stayed in one of the cabins on Lighthouse Point. Of course I had to look up reviews before I went and man I tell you the reviews are terrible compared to what our experience was like. Walking around the cabin area we were pleased.. it's a quiet, scenic area right behind the park. The cabins looked like they were much smaller on the outisde than they were on the inside. We walked in and everything was tidy and clean. We easily fit 7 rowdy college students in the cabin for 3 nights, so that tells you something! The private loft and master bedroom came in handy for the 2 couples. The bedding wasn't bad at all, a lot of the reviews said that the bedding was hard and uncomfortable we didn't have that problem though! The staff was very friendly and gave us extra pillows and blankets with no hassle. Towels and trash service was provided everyday and never had a complaint about that. The air conitioning was working GREAT - thank god due to the fact it was 90 outisde a lot of the time. There is a lot of shelf area and storage in the cabin so that was really helpful in storing everyone's things and keeping everything organized. There is also a community bathroom and shower area right next to the cabins so that helped a lot with everyone getting ready in the morning! One of the only complaints about the cabin was the fact that the fridge was SO TINY.. hard to bring all your food and drinks and save money with that tiny of a fridge. The patio and grill area was also very small but still a nice place to spend time with everyone. Overall much better than i was expecting, we didn't have a problem with size, loved the scenic view of lake erie and walking on the pier and watching the sunset, loved that it was only 5 minutes away from the park so taking breaks wasn't hard at all, and LOVED the air conditioning.

Room Tip: bring extra pillows and blankets bring your own plates, cups, silverware bring a lot of non parish...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Tarentum, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've stayed at Lighthouse Point Cabins 3 times, for a total of 13 nights, 4 the first 2 years, and 5 nights this year. I find that this is the most "secluded" of the resorts, if you REALLY want to get out of the crowds, but have the ability to be truly outside, this is your best bet. The patio with table and grill affords for a great escape from the "crowded theme park" environment to the "camping in the woods" environment. You are a short 5 minute walk to the park. Having the ability to roll back after a long, hot crowded day in the park, and putting some charcoal on the grill, lighting it up, and cooking your favorite picnic meals is a delight. The cabins are very spacious, with a large living room (with 2 futons and a tv), a small loft, kitchenette (bring your own utensils, pack as if you're going camping" and a small bedroom with TV. Yeah, you do, from time to time see insects inside and outside the cabin, but don't forget, you're on the lake, this is bound to happen. I always take a citronella candle for the outside, and that typically takes care of the problem, plus I find the smell of a citronella candle to be quite appealing. It is true that there is no daily housekeeping service, but they do remove trash, charcoal, and provide fresh towels daily. Don't forget to walk over to the old lighthouse, as well as the fishing pier- it really provides a great view of the islands, as well as the park.

Room Tip: take a look at the map of the cabins- select one that is "off the beaten path" so that peo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Marysville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Located at the back of the park by Soak City. Have stayed there three years in a row and my only compliant is that they don't clean the rooms everyday. They only bring fresh towels. Price is a bit expensive, but that's to be expected if you want early admission into the park. Will be back next year.

Room Tip: If more than 4 people, opt for the rooms that have a loft.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is going to be a bit detailed, but details can't hurt when you're trying to figure out a place to stay that you've never been to before...

My boyfriend, his 2 kids, and I drove from Chicago to Sandusky, Ohio, for an unforgettable few days at Cedar Point!!! We were there from July 29 - August 1. Ahead of time, using the internet, I booked 3 nights lodging at Lighthouse Point, along with 4 general admission Cedar Point tickets for 2 days. Also, separately, I purchased Fast Lane passes for both days for all 4 of us and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! Fast Lane passes got us through lines so much faster... What was normally anywhere from a 1-2 hour wait for rides like Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Magnum, Maverick, just to name a few, was only 10-15 minutes at the most for those who had Fast Lane wristbands. If you're a coaster fan like I am, do yourself a favor and go online and purchase the Fast Lane passes before you get there (and remember to be sure to print out your confirmations as they are your ONLY proof of purchase - so don't forget them at home!!!). By the time you are staying there and are ready to go to Cedar Point, that morning the Fast Lane wristbands might be sold out. The first day, Fast Lane wristbands were not sold out. However, the 2nd day that we were there, Fast Lane wristbands were all SOLD OUT. I'm so glad that I purchased the Fast Lane passes for us online ahead of time (and they're a little cheaper purchasing them online too). Hey man, save some $$$ whenever you can, right?

Originally, I was going to stay at one of their other hotels, but I figured it would be better to be able to be a little more private for us and have our own little cottage to retreat back to during the day for lunch and/or dinner. We were in cottage number 8. We were pretty close to laundry facilities (but we didn't need them because we packed enough of our clothes), as well as our own pool (for cottage, cabin and RV guests).
We had our own little deck with 3 chairs (there really should have been 4 chairs there since there were 4 of us booked - the only complaint I have). We had a great view of the lake and I watched the sun set every evening. Also, it was pretty exciting to be able to hear the roller coasters in the background when we were outside. I didn't notice them when we were inside the cottage, though so that was nice. Air conditioning worked great!!! The place was pretty clean. Beds are furnished with bedding, so you don't have to bring your own blankets. Bathroom is also furnished with plenty of towels and there's a towel exchange so no worries on that, either. Also, if you visit the pool (which I highly recommend as it's a great way to cool off in the evening and I liked the hot tub there for relaxing after all the walking we did during the day at the park), there's no need to bring your own beach towels - they supply pool towels for their pool guests (just be nice and make sure you return them in the giant bin they've got set up for pool towel return - there's a big sign - you can't miss it). There's also a little water park by the pool, if you have little ones to have lots of fun. There is shuttle service, should one not want to walk over to the Cedar Point entrance, but we never used it. It's about a 10 minute walk (leisure walking) to the entrance.

If you're staying in one of the Lighthouse Point cottages or cabins, be sure to pack your own personal things, such as paper plates, paper bowls (if you're a cereal in the morning person), plastic forks, knives and spoons, a roll or two paper towels, whatever snacks you like to eat. While there's a kitchen in the cottage or cabin, the kitchen has a dorm size refrigerator, a microwave, counter area, very small sink (again, not much room for washing dishes), and a small 4 cup coffee pot. There are no dishes so you need to bring your own). The kitchen is not very large, so you don't have lots of room to wash dishes (i.e., the reason for disposable items).

When you first check in, it's a small area for check in (so really, you only need one person to go in and check in) - the entire group you're with does NOT need to be inside when you're checking in. Right around the corner (attached to the building you check in at) is a little store. There's not much here (other than non-parishable snacks, a freezer with some frozen microwave meals, milk, water, beer, etc... and various touristy stuff, such as some t-shirts, hats, etc... Basically, unless you want to be eating overpriced snacks all the time, or eating out all the time, do yourself a favor and be prepared and bring your own food with you. I cooked various casseroles and pasta ahead of time and froze portions in quart sized freezer bags so stuff would keep in the cooler for our 5.5 hour drive (it really took 7 hours because we stopped twice along the way at rest stops). It worked out quite well for us.

While it's more expensive to stay here rather than at a hotel off site, the early entry and ability to go back to the cottage and heat up our own meals (rather than spending $$$ eating in the park, or going out to eat for dinner) pretty much balanced out for us. I feel this trip was well worth it and a fun time none of us will ever forget.

When we want to go back to Cedar Point next summer, I will not hesistate to book at Lighthouse Point again.

Room Tip: Cottage number 8 was nice - we had a nice view of the sunset and were still pretty close to the pool...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We travelled to Cedar Point from Barrie, Ontario. After a very long drive, we were very impressed with the cottage accomodations at Lighthouse Point. We especially loved the waterfront porch and wonderful breezes!

We stayed for three nights and purchased the two day ride and slide package. We upgraded to the Fast Lane pass both days we were there and that was expensive ($400 extra) but we felt well worth it.

The cottage has a kitchen table and small kitchen area with a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. We brought our own propane bbq and ate most of our meals at the cottage.

We loved the fact that we could walk back and forth to Cedar Point and Splash City. This way, we were able to come back and have some lunch and chill time (it was 90 degrees outside!) and then go back to the park after a quick swim.

The grounds are very clean and the staff are always available and friendly.

The only downside was the sleeping arrangements. Our two kids were fine on the bunkbeds but the other bed is a double and is very small for two people. My husband ended up sleeping on the futon in sitting area of the cottage. He said it was not very comfortable.

All in all, I would highly recommend these accomodations and Cedar Point. We had such a great family time!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We, party of six (3 adults-3 children) just left Cedar Point this morning from a lovely (scorching hot!!) visit. We arrived at around 7pm, and the office was crazy busy with check-ins. I do believe we arrived at just the "right time" because I almost never saw it that busy again. That said, the check-in process took awhile because there was only one person in the office. Once we got our keys, we were off to our lovely cottage. I really can't begin to say enough great things about the cottage. When we were first considering booking, we wanted a cabin because we liked the idea if the loft (great place for the kids to sleep) and we were disappointed that they were all booked by the time we were ready to book. Once we arrived at the cottage, I was SO HAPPY we gotta cottage instead. First, the deck. The cottages overlook Lake Erie and come complete with three adirondack chairs and a little side table. We loved waking up and watching the birds in the morning and watching the sunset at night.

Next, the space. The cottage is a park model and is furnished with a microwave, small coffee maker, dorm fridge, futon, table and chairs, double bed, and twin bunk beds. The bathroom was surprisingly roomy and the shower was a stand-up with a small tub that our toddler LOVED! Even wih six we never felt cramped. Another thing to note, the air conditioning worked VERY well, thank goodness!

And one of the best features-- LOCATION!! Although you have to walk through a big parking lot to get to the gate (or take a shuttle) I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. We walked home for lunch and dinner and naps. We got in an hour early, and loved it. I believe that it is truly worth the expense to stay here, especially with kids. Even though we are exhausted from running around the park for three days, we had an amazingly effortless stay.

I can't complain about anything really, but remember, if you stay, there are bugs--- LOTS OF BUGS-- I wish the resort did more about preventing bugs (bug lights, sticky traps, etc) because by the end of the trip the cottage was filled with them (not exaggerating). We kept our porch light off and they still swarmed in. Again, not a real complaint, just a caution. Bottom line... Stay here instead of a hotel room, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed in one of the cottages in Lighthouse Point and were very pleased with the accomodations. We arrived a couple of hours prior to check-in and they were able to get us in our cottage right away. One of the best things about Lighthouse Point is the discounted tickets to Cedar Point (which includes early admission to the park each day). The cottage itself seemed pretty clean and well-decorated. The beds were comfortable, and the A/C worked very well, which was nice on a hot day. There was a power outage one morning we were there, but they were able to fix it within a couple of hours. The view was fantastic, especially around sunset. There were bugs present, but next to a lake in the middle of summer, you have to expect that to a degree.

The only thing that really left us with a bad feeling was that one of the other tenants nearby dinged the crap out of our new car at least three times with their car door. I have to wonder if Cedar Point could have made the parking spaces just a bit wider (or raise the nightly rate to keep out the riff-raff) to prevent this sort of occurence. If we come back to Lighthouse Point in the future, we will make sure to bring a rental car instead of our own.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lighthouse Point? Share your experiences!