“The Best of Sandusky” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Aurora, Illinois
“The Best of Sandusky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Since we started going to CP in the 90's we have been staying at curious Sandusky and Port Clinton hotels. We believe we have found a second location we can repeat at. When staying in the area you cash usually tell how seasonal the properties are, but this one does a good job at giving you a clean place to rest up. We had a room in the back building. At first we found it odd they had a second back building, but the room turned out nice and looked recently remodeled. The only real issue we seen was that both the room and bathroom doors appeared old and slightly beauty up... But rest of room appeared well taken care of. Breakfast included was OK. Location was terrific in our mind. Backs up to houses and off of the street usually taken into CP from town. Clearly a top 5 hotel for this area. Only note is that the property could use some better lighting for the back parking lot.

• Stayed May 2013

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night on a road trip. Farther off the highway rte 80 than I was told by the front desk, but easy to find once I called and realized I hadn't missed it. A little strange setup where there is a second back building seperated from the main bldg. there is an outdoor pool between which I am sure is nice in the summer. The room was a great surprise. Very nice, more like a Hampton Inn than a LaQuinta. Looks newly renovated because the outside of the building is OK but doesn't reflect how nice the room was. Breakfast had waffles but kind of poor to me. Coffee was good though. I would stay there again. Plenty of restaurants and stores near it and also near an indoor waterpark.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I used to work in the travel industry and always look for a good hotel at a good price. This La Quinta Inn was wonderful! We paid under $60 for the night and were very happy with the quality and cleanliness of the room. The staff was very helpful and allowed us to check in as soon as we arrived in Sandusky. It is only 10 minutes away from Cedar Point, which was a big plus, since we were moving my son there to work this summer. It is also close to a lot of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I rarely stay in hotels, so I splurged for my fiancee and I when we recently stayed in La Quinta due to a family event. The front desk clerk was very friendly, and even called our room about 15 minutes after we checked it to make sure everything was satisfactory.

One note of concern - the door to the secondary building was held open with zip ties, making the building insecure. Not really too big of a worry... but I could see how it might have been for others.

Our room was perfect - a comfortable king size bed (could stand to be a little firmer, but that's personal taste), a dresser with a TV, 2 night stands with lamps that had power outlets (very nerd friendly!), a couch, a desk, a hot tub, microwave, mini-fridge, sink, and a chilly but nice bathroom with a shower stall.

The hot tub could have used better instructions... and better texturing on the bottom! Not sure if it's just been well-used, but my fiancee almost slipped. Exercise extreme caution when entering or exiting.

The bathroom was COLD, even once the room warmed up to my liking. The shower head, while adjustable, was mounted in a way that I needed to stand very close to the wall in the shower to access the water. Also - the lack of a bathmat was very annoying, as the towels are never thick enough to soak up water from the floor after a shower.

One thing I noticed was a lack of strong light as well as a lack of a mirror that is accessible for putting on makeup. I ended up sitting on the bathroom sink (no small feat for a shorter person, because it's fairly tall), which was frigid and uncomfortable.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend the hotel to others. There are a few minor things for the chain to fix, but they are not dealbreakers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is fairly priced and has the best breakfast around. It is worth paying a little extra to stay here because the whole family will find something they like to eat for breakfast. Sorry McDonalds!
The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are quite.
It is over all a great place to rest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Springville, NY 14141
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at La Quinta for 3 nights. The hotel was quite inexpensive at $59 per night. I believe it is the off season here. The stay included breakfast. Their breakfast hours were quite long, from 6-10 am, but you can go down in the breakfast area at any time to hang out or eat your meals there.

Room Tip: Kids activities and room service do not apply.