“Ignore the reviews from the whiners and drama queens - We had fun here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

You added Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark to your Saves list
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5513 Milan Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Maui Sands Hotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Wooster, Ohio
“Ignore the reviews from the whiners and drama queens - We had fun here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Quick Pro / Con Highlights first, read on for detailed review

Pro:
Good value (with Groupon deal)
Slide lines not too bad
Clean rooms
Friendly Life Guards
Most staff were friendly

Con:
Check-In time "Cattle Call" and front desk staffing
Locker Keys net cost $5.00 / day
No coffee makers in room
Tattooed Life Guards
No TV in fitness center
Some front desk staff not customer friendly
No elevator to second floor for 3000 block of rooms

Is it a repeat? Yes unless prices go up.

Read on for the details.

Check in / front desk experience
We checked in on a Sunday and left the next day on Monday. We arrived around 3:00 pm and got our passes, but were told we couldn't get our room until 4:00 (we'd read about that on here already). So we went in to enjoy the park. When my wife went out again a little after 4:00 there was a huge line to check in and she waited in line at minimum 45 minutes. Although there were 3 or 4 people working the front desk area only 2 were checking people in. This might be because they only have 2 computers at the desk. The check in experience is probably the biggest negative of our stay.

I read a review that said lockers were free here and that is outdated. When I asked about getting a locker the front desk girl told me they were $10 and when you return the key you get $5 back. I gave her my credit card, signed for the key and then was told I had to return it at the end of the night when the park closed. I said forget it then, I'll wait until tomorrow for a locker since it was already evening and we had a room to keep our car keys etc in. Rather than taking the key back, she told me not to worry about it, she'd only charge for 1 day. So, the next morning before the park was open I explained what happened to the new person working the desk, just to make sure there wasn't going to be a problem later. I told her I didn't remember the first girl's name, but described her (brown curly hair and braces). The response was along the lines of "too bad so sad" - she said "well, she shouldn't have told you that, you'll be charged 10.00 and won't get anything back. At this point I was thinking I wouldn't feel so bad if I "forgot" to return a few pool towels and I could use them next time I had to change the oil in something in the garage. It all worked out, because someone else was working the desk when we left and took me at my word on what happened and gave me 5.00 back (and I didn't forget to return any towels). Most of the staff were friendly and nice, except for that one- I think her name might have been Angie?

Waterpark
We haven't been to any other water parks such as GW or Kalahari, so I can't compare except on what I've read here about the other places. Our kids are 8 and 11 and both had fun on the slides, lazy river, and other things there. Many times there were only a couple of people in line for the body slides. Longer lines for the tube slides, but the wait doesn't seem as bad as what I read about Kalahari.

Several of the life guards had tattoos - one had a dark Gothic looking cross on his throat and others on his leg, another had a skull and others on his leg, and I think maybe a confederate flag on the other leg. While we weren't really offended by any of the tattoos, if we had younger children, I think it would have been a bigger deal. Some were kind of creepy looking, and I really don't think that's a good look for a person of authority in such a place. Now with that being said, about all of the life guards, including the ones I mentioned with tattoos were polite and friendly to guests (insert speech about judging books by their covers here).

Hotel room (#3202)
Our hotel room was clean and did not smell of mildew or other odors. The toilet and shower were clean and nice. The location of the heat / AC unit is a little unusual because it is under the bathroom counter. TIP- we brought a cheap folding wooden clothes drying rack for our suits and set it up right in front of the AC on the vinyl / linoleum floor to dry our suits overnight. We brought extra suits but were trying just to reuse our older suits because we'd read some reviews that said the choline was super strong and their suits faded. We not did have this issue, but better safe than sorry. We did notice one of the life guards trunks were faded at the bottom of the legs, but they're in the water day after day there.

Not a huge deal, but an in room coffee maker would have been nice instead of having to wait until the breakfast buffet was open. Our room did have a microwave and refrigerator. We discovered that the microwave was not plugged in and to plug it in would require moving the big heavy entertainment center. We just put it on the bathroom counter and plugged it in long enough to use. The fridge was nice sized and worked properly. As another reviewer stated, there were not a lot of extra outlets anywhere for charging cell phones etc. I ended up unplugging our alarm clock since I use my cell phone alarm anyway. Hopefully as they upgrade rooms, they'll have the light fixtures with a built in outlet or two.

Our room had bunk beds, which our kids loved. It was also nice that the kids had their own TV in the bunk bed area. There is a ventilation fan which can be turned on or off to help circulate air in the bunk bed area. The fan is a little noisy. Since the heat / AC was on the opposite end of the room from the queen bed, it seemed harder to cool the end of the room with the queen bed.

The wifi signal was strong and we didn't notice any bandwidth or connection issues, however we didn't try to stream any movies while we were there either. It was fine for surfing, email, and facebook etc.

There wasn't elevator access to the second floor where our room was. Now chances are, if you're going to a water park where you have to climb stairs to the slides, you can handle a flight of stairs to your room, however if you have a lot of luggage or are pregnant, maybe it's a bigger deal. It wasn't to us. There was a small heater running near the hotel door #1 entrance. I don't know if mischievous kids had turned this on or not, but because the door at the top of the stairs was closed, the heat went up there and it was a little warm.

Breakfast
After the cattle call check in line experience, we were a little concerned that breakfast might be the same way or run out of food early, so we set our alarms for 6;30 and went down to breakfast around 5 'til 7:00. We all liked the breakfast. I thought the scrambled eggs were really good- sometimes when they make them in large quantities like that, they are runny in the bottom of the pan, but these were good.

When I came down for more coffee a little later, there was a decent line and all the tables were full, but it didn't seem all that bad.

Fitness center
I didn't use the fitness center, but there were four decent looking treadmills there and some free weights. There were mirrors in front of the treadmills and no TV in the room. A TV would be nice, but the treadmills did seem to be newer.

IGNORE ALL THE WHINERS AND DRAMA QUEENS-
On my way back to our room that night I could see the reflection in a window of a woman pointing her cell phone camera towards the ceiling and taking pictures. As I got closer, sure enough, that's what she was doing. She was right in front of a several rooms which were being renovated. There were notes on the room doors with notes for the contractors of what needed done to the room - new bathroom door, new bathroom floor etc. There was a ceiling tile that had been removed with a small wire (looked like telephone wire, NOT electrical wire) coming out and the wire was not just hanging down, it was kept close to the ceiling. As she documented this horrible atrocity, the woman said to her friend, and I quote, "I feel like we're in Bosnia!!!" I bit my tongue, although I really wanted to say something smart to her, and I'm not the type of person who normally would. It just struck me funny and my wife and I had a good laugh about it when I told her the story. And, that was the joke each time we walked past that area.

If I was her husband, I'd probably have to find a job where I traveled a lot so I wouldn't have to listen to her most likely complain about everything all day long <wink>

Conclusion
We were a little apprehensive about staying at Maui Sands, after reading some of the reviews, but we know there are some people who aren't ever happy about anything unless they're complaining. Those are the same people who complain about hotel decor being outdated (We don't think that Maui Sands decor was outdated by the way). Our family had a lot of fun in the water park, thought our room was nice and clean, and will probably return again some time.

If you see a review comparing this place to war-torn Bosnia, ignore it ;)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear yes-uh-huh:

Thank you for your extensive review of your stay. We are glad your family had an enjoyable visit.

We appreciate the opportunity to host your familiy's visit. Many of our guests have stayed with us before and most enjoy their stay and appreciate the value of our waterpark packages.

Our bunk bed suites are very popular with families. Kids love the bunk beds and having their own TV while parents like the separate room. And, everyone loves the complimentary hot breakfast. It is a great way to start the day.

Although we encourage our guests to arrive early and utilize the waterpark, the 4 p.m. check-in can be chaotic. We apologize for the areas that are being renovated. However, we must continue to upgrade the facility so it will be more comfortable for our guests.

Your feedback is important to us. Observations from our guests will help us make improvements for the future.

We hope you will visit with us again in the future. Your patronage is very important to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Willard, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Getting checked into this place was definitely a waiting game especially being that I was the next person to be checked in. 14 mins for another person to come out from the office behind the desk to get me checked in while the other one was dealing with a customer who wanted to haggle his bill down. Really! Are you kidding me? They signed that sheet didn't they? Then what is the problem, get the manager out here & help the next guest or get another receptionist out here to answer the phones. We always take our grandchildren to Great Wolfe Lodge so on our 3rd day we decided to switch motels & go with this one. I read a review from one of our local papers & it sounded really promising! Apparently they didn't stay here nor go to the water park. We stayed in the 3000 section (I agree with another reviewer; I think this section was bypassed). Here are the things we noticed: 1) ROOMS: The towel ring fell off the wall the first time I tried to hang a towel up, fan in kids room extremely noisy, some kind of wire hanging from the wall inside of closet, nicks on furniture & 2 switches broken on 2 of 4 lights in the kids room. We didn't notice a mold smell like some others have stated on here. Misplacement of air conditioner though makes for a cold exit just out of shower since it was located under the sink vanity. Children froze & grandparents couldn't get cold while we slept so we had to set the temp at 72 so the children wouldn't freeze & catch cold. 2) HOTEL: Hallways slant in every direction & missing tiles from trim. The outside door lock was broken when we first arrived (anybody could get in: informed the front desk they said it was on a time lock. Went out it again after 12am with out my key card, I got right in? Informed the desk person on days about this: hope it got fixed)? Nicks in paint all over (hint: use light colors for paint or a wall paper that can be easily spot painted for them nasty nicks & definitely put up some clear plastic corner guards it will save you in the long run). You should never use real wicker or rattan they are dust, germ & mold collectors (use plastic for these items). I looked & seen dust in these items (I wasn't even paying attention for it but once it caught my eye I was starting to notice it all over). Arcade still uses quarters which can be a good thing (lose less money this way but the change machine only took $1.00 bills); need a more variety of games especially for toddlers, you have the room for it. There doesn't seem to be enough employee's? The included breakfast was a nice touch but a little girl spilled milk on the counter in front of us; that was okay by me I was just going to wipe it up & throw it away: no napkins nor was there any waste basket? An adult bar can be viewed from the lobby in which it seems locals frequent. With that being said: out by one entrance was a pile of vomit & the person cleaning it dispersed it with a couple buckets of water (it only scattered chunks all over). Little bits of litter all over outside. 3) WATER PARK: We got a room here mainly for the water park because the grandchildren love to swim, but I knew I was in trouble when I fitted the 5 year old with a supplied life vest & the zipper was half way ripped-off? From far back this park looks grand but with closer inspection it is pitiful. Gate to hot tub - not aligned, ripped decor ropes in door. The painted railing that runs all over the park had rust galore which in some spots it was affecting the painted floors (aluminum; I don't think so). The body slides had not been wiped down for a while (white scale on the sides). The thing that hurt my old feet were the stairs! What did you paint them with, a thick napped roller cover? I felt like I was walking on concrete spikes? As far as the guards go .... I think you aught to set some rules (a change of guard had the 5 year old holding his vest coming down the body slide when he was wearing it all along)? Grant you it does make sense removing it because it may get caught on something & he does know how to swim, but the vest gave me an added security since many times I would catch certain guards staring out in space & not paying attention to their area? I think you should have one entrance into this park so children can get measured. Since you have height restrictions posted on your park then make them wear a band of certain color to alert the guards of their height & to be remeasured with their sticks. Like CP they have a big 2" area for a 42" measurement because they account for shoes. These guidelines need to be set for your water park & stuck to. I wonder why children can be tall enough one time but with a change of guard they aren't? If you are going to have multiple exits then at least have dry towels handy at all the exits, you are just asking for wet carpets, mold & mildew when a child wants to get back to the room quick not to mention slipping on the other flooring.
All in all I didn't hear one complaint from the grandchildren they still had fun (the boy thought he was in trouble when the guard told him to take his vest off coming down the slide but I amended my rule this one time to put him at ease)!
Someone said: Comparing this place to the Great Wolfe Lodge is like comparing a Motel 6 to a Marriott. It will be a long while before we attempt to come back to this place. I understand there is construction still going on but why open up & let rooms when it seems nothing is maintained?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear BettyS:

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit to the resort.

We apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your stay. Most of our guests have an enjoyable visit and many are returning guests.

Our manager was delayed because she was meeting with another guest. We believe it is important to meet with our guests personally when they want to talk about their stay. This helps us provide quicker resolution to their problems.

We appreciate your feedback from our guests. These will help us make improvements for the future.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

If you ask my kids they loved the waterpark. Thank goodness we were just driving through for one night. THERE ARE NO OUTLETS!!!! Rooms are very dim, musty and very much on the older side. There was construction going on so we had to exit the hotel and re-enter to get to the lobby and pool. They had free breakfast included but we were in a hurry do not sure on quality.

Stayed July 2014
Dear dominik:

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit. We apologize for any inconvenience that was caused because of renovation projects.

When completed, these improvements will help us provide our guests with a more enjoyable stay.

Glad to hear your children enjoyed the waterpark. It has a lot of splish-splashing for families of all ages.

We are sorry you did not take advantage of the complimentary hot breakfast buffet. With eggs, pancakes, sausage, hash browns, toast, coffee, juice and milk, it is quite popular with our guests.

We hope you will visit with us again. We are sure you will have a more enjoyable visit.
Wellington, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We just got back today and had a wonderful time again! Still my favorite waterpark to visit. We had an issue with our room and Stephanie at the front desk put us in a new (and upgraded!!!) room immediately! Thank you Stephanie!! We got to see our good friend Doc before we left which made my day! He's such a nice guy! Lifeguards are all so nice as well. The waterpark was practically empty. I think there were more people at Applebee's last night for dinner then were at the waterpark! I love that my kids can get right on rides and I don't have to worry about them like I do at Kalahari because of the crowd. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Denise3970:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. It is always nice to hear from a satisfied guest -- especially one who has stayed with us before!

We are pleased to hear everything went even better than your first visit, and we were able to provide you with an upgraded room with minimal inconvenience.

Stephanie, Doc and the lifeguards are conscientious and understand the importance of guest service. They are wonderful ambassadors for the resort.

Glad to hear that your family enjoyed playing in the waterpark. There is a lot of fun to be had!

We are looking forward to your next visit and hope you will be staying with us soon.
North Liberty, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stopped on our stay to Cedar Point and this was by far the NASTIEST hotel we have ever stayed in. Our room smelled of mold and I was worried all night for the kids and what they were breathing in. There were stains all over our carpet, the bathroom was falling apart with holes in the ceiling and paint chipping. Seriously, this hotel is good for felons who just got out of jail who want a vacation for their family! Disgusting!! Then to add an additional $20 per person for the "water park" is a joke. It's a glorified pool at best, not a water park and it's dirty and gross like the rest of the place. I would not recommend this place at all and we WON'T be going back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jennifer B:

We sincerely apologize for the unacceptable conditions you experienced during your stay to the resort.

This was not a typical visit to our hotel and waterpark. Most of our guests have a very enjoyable stay, and many are returning guests.

We receive many compliments for our facility. Sorry we did not provide accommodation for your visit.

Please call us directly so we can talk in greater detail about your visit.

We appreciate your feedback. Guest comments will help us make improvements for the future.
Wellsville, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I just returned from a 2 night stay at Maui Sands. I booked through the Groupon deal they were running, and stayed with a group of 6 other friends (and their families) as our annual reunion (a total of 14 adults and 11 kids). The resort is quite nice, and the staff was all very friendly. Check in was simple and on time.

Room:
The first thing I noticed was that our room had a bit of a musty smell. It wasn't awful and I assumed it was possibly caused by people coming back to the room wet and dripping on the carpet. The AC unit worked great and it was nice to have a fridge and a microwave in the room being that we were with two children. The bathroom was very small but clean. There is almost NO water pressure in the shower though. The beds and pillows were very comfy.

Restaurant/bar/lobby:
Both were quite good. Our Groupon deal came with a meal voucher for a large pizza, pasta, drinks and dessert. The pizza was great, the pasta left a lot to be desired. The first day it was barely lukewarm and the second day it looked like cooked noodles with a jar of alfredo sauce dumped on top. For being included in the price, it wasn't bad. The bar was great, drinks are priced more reasonably that I was expected and all tasted very good! The lobby was great for us all to relax and have a drink after the kids went to bed. Several times hotel staff stopped and asked if we were enjoying our stay and how we liked it. The breakfast buffet served was also quite good. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy are not things you normally see served as part of an included breakfast! The seating was adequate and there didn't seem to be any shortage of food.

Water park:
This was definitely the best part of the whole experience. The park is nice sized, not too small but not huge. The slides were really fun. We were travelling with 9 kids, aged 3 months to 6 years and they all had a blast. The lifeguards were very friendly (and there are plenty of them), and they are very attentive. There was enough to do that we didn't get bored after 2 days.

My only complaint is that the second day we were there, I got a call while at the store that there were some electrical issues in our wing and they wanted permission to go into the room to access the wiring to check on it. I informed her that we were not at the resort at the moment but it was alright for them to do that. We returned about 20 minutes later and there were two men in the bathroom working on the wiring. They both acted like it was an inconvenience for us to be there, and said they thought we would be gone all day. My daughter needed to take a nap and when I mentioned that, I was told "It's going to be awhile yet". They did finish up quite quickly so we could get her to sleep but acting like we were inconveniencing THEM does not sit right with me because I paid for the room for the time we were there... we should have full access to it. But alas, I understand that things happen and it's good that they were trying to take care of the electrical issue right away.

Overall, it was quite a good weekend to spend with friends. It was fun and enjoyable. It's not a 5 star resort by any means but for a cheap price, it was a great experience. I recommend staying here if you are with younger children (I think much over the age of 8 or 9 might be bored easily) and plan to spend the majority of the time in the water park. As long as you don't have ridiculously high expectations, you will likely enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: We had much better luck with the 2000-section being nice an clean. The 4000 section (King rooms) we...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear KShadows:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We are glad your family had an enjoyable reunion at our resort.

It is a privilege to be part of such an important event.

We are pleased the reunion went so well and that our Team Members treated you well, check-in went smoothly and you were able to take advantage of the complimentary hot breakfast buffet.

The waterpark is an ideal location for your family outing. Plus, our lifeguards are friendly and courteous.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of the electrical problem in your room. Fortunately, we were able to make the repair with minimal intrusion.

We appreciate your feedback. Comments from our guests will help us make improvements for the future.

We hope you will stay with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.
Sandusky, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We checked in at 4 p.m. and went straight to our room. The room was not clean, there was hair in the sink and trash on the floors. We went down to the waterpark shortly after and had fun. Though there was a significant amount of dirt in the bottom of the pools and hot tub that was never swept out any of the three days we were there... Our kids (3 and 5) enjoyed it until the lifeguards told them they weren't tall enough to go down a slide that they had been going down all day... The lifeguards are not super kid friendly, my kids cried several times when they were approached by lifeguards for whatever little reason here and there. We slept fine in our room and went to the free breakfast. However, when we arrived they were all out of food, so after waiting 5 or so minutes the food started coming out again. It was ok, we had to ask for more milk, cups and spoons because no one was refilling them. I did spot the guy that was emptying out the trash cans then handle the food that he brought out to the buffet...ugh. (There was no way he washed his hands) We had an okay time but will not be going back. We will spend the extra money and go to Kalahari next time, that place is much better and I know our kids feel more comfortable there!!!

Dear 4Guest2014:

Thank you for staying with us. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your visit.

We apologize for your unkempt room. Our procedures normally prevent us assigning guests rooms that have not been cleaned and checked.

Glad your children enjoyed the waterpark. We want our lifeguards to treat all of our guests with courtesy and professionalism. However, they are required to enforce all the regulations for waterpark safety.

We appreciate your input. Feedback from our guests will help us improve in the future.

We hope you will reconsider and visit with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.

Been to Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!